Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

+34
weller7503
Pippynip
SyneRRR
aL
Macneil1
lololiet
Nocturnal_Pulse
stjimmee
Aster
Some freaky guy
MET@LBASS
Southernstar
McSnuggles
Rushfan30
stefk0
Fuzzy
ThreeLetterSyndrom
maxf13
danthewelshy
Dropthelines585
ezekiel
akyra
Drakon7
Cliff em' all
BlackF89
mts
uglymutt
willba
DubHertz
SuperMaximo93
KrysH
Dmanlamius
Stryfer
x2n
38 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? Empty How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  x2n Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

I don't mean to start any ruckus about this question. I just want to know if you guys feel about it and what you guys do when you hear it. Many of my friends and people I know say "it's the easier instrument to play" and when I hear something like that I kinda get hurt or a little insulted. Sad Sometimes I just want to walk away and just scream somewhere no one can hear me. What i think about it is that the guitar and bass is that they are both challenging to play and learn in their own way. I know that i should respect their opinions I'm just tired of it. >_<
I just wanna ask you guys, who do you handle it if you are being told this and you are irritated by it? Sad confused

x2n

Back to top Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? Empty Re: How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  Stryfer Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 am

This is an often mentioned thing but:
Guitar - hard to learn, easy to master
Bass - easy to learn, hard to master

It just looks harder because guitarists play chords instead of single notes. They also tend to show off a lot with tapping and slides and floyds and fast scales, while bassits just sit back and fill in the whole thing.
If your friends are technique freaks, learn to slap and do some random fast slapping thing to put them in their place XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? Empty Re: How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  x2n Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:30 am

Stryfer wrote:This is an often mentioned thing but:
Guitar - hard to learn, easy to master
Bass - easy to learn, hard to master

It just looks harder because guitarists play chords instead of single notes. They also tend to show off a lot with tapping and slides and floyds and fast scales, while bassits just sit back and fill in the whole thing.
If your friends are technique freaks, learn to slap and do some random fast slapping thing to put them in their place XD

Thanks! I'll try to learn as fast as I can to play my beloved Baisey! I guess they are kinda technique freaks. So, what do you do when you hear something like that?

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Good question!

For me, personally, I find guitar a much easier instrument to play (and i'm not a bad guitarist). Always have done. (not talking about guitar solos here)

If a guitarist goes out of time when a band play it doesn't really matter. You can get away with it to an extent. If a bass player goes out of time, it's a completely different matter. EVERYONE feels it. That's the first issue, timing. We HAVE to be in time. No questions asked.

Secondly is strength and stamina. Guitar is a "looser" instrument, and its easier for us to place our fingers onto strings, and sustain chords. Of course, bass is a lot harder, so it's harder for us to maintain stamina.

I also agree with what Stryfer says.

I love both instruments. But it is a common mis-conception that the bass is the easier of the two.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:12 pm

I've tried hard to master electric guitar, sort of more than just playing power chords etc and I genuinely find it hard to the point where I gave up a while ago, I find it easier to coordinate playing with my fingers (a la Mark Knopfler) than with a pick which I find almost impossible.

On the other hand I play acoustic guitar reasonably well, being able to play solo pieces by Gordon Giltrap etc (tho not now I've lost mobility in my shoulder I just can't get my right arm around the body of my Lakewood Sad ).

So it comes to Bass guitar, I don't find it easy, I definately find it easier than electric guitar as I am so crap at that but it's definately as hard as playing my acoustic guitar and I'm learning more and more every week.

So it's subjective really (or is that objective) every instrument is hard to play well so it varies from person to person.

That was a really crap answer wasn't it? Didn't really answer the question at all!

If folk were to say to me that learning and playing the bass guitar is easier than the guitar then I would feel they were making a sweeping generalisation and it would erk me!

There - that's better! Very Happy
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Well, whatever the answer is, we can safely say that because of this common misconseption, bassists are pretty rare. Which means more gigs, 'cause everyone wants a bass player but can't find one cheers Speaking of more gigs, I think I somehow joined a third band yesterday Razz scratch
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Bass playing was easier for me cause i got thick fingers... I tried electric at first but couldnt play chords because my fingers kept pressing two strings at a time instead of one.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? Empty How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar?

Post  willba Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Sometimes I learn guitar riffs on bass just to prove I dont find it harder. I swear when people I know who play guitar try and play on my bass they have more trouble than when I play on their guitars. I definately find it harder to play long pieces on bass and overall I just general prefer Bass, much more versitile
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm

x2n wrote:So, what do you do when you hear something like that?

I show them this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s Very Happy

Oh and as for what Dman said, timing is very critical for bass players. However, in comparison guitar solos have to be very melodious and relevant to the song. Which is difficult.
Although, since there are also bass soloists today, we might be able to disregard that

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:47 am

DubHertz wrote:Bass playing was easier for me cause i got thick fingers... I tried electric at first but couldnt play chords because my fingers kept pressing two strings at a time instead of one.

I hear you..... I also have short fingers so some of the positions were difficult when returning to classical guitar (after a 5 year break) i then grew interested in the bass et voila have stuck with it.
I enjoy bass a lot, but I'm thinking about buying a chepie acoustic to thrash some songs out on.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:11 am

It depends. I think it goes both ways. For me bass was a lot easier to get in to than guitar but well i was already familiar with guitar.
And today jamming for me is easier with band when im on bass than playing guitar.

Like Stryfer already said
Stryfer wrote: It just looks harder because guitarists play chords instead of single notes.
but there is bit truth into this. Like if you look something like Neil Young rocking in the free world that bass line is as easy as hell and pretty boring to play. Really. But still There are bunch of awesome bass player as well as guitar players. Still bassist are bit more rare but even more rare are people who can master both instruments like Buckethead
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 pm

It's all relative.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

How do you feel if people say playing and learning bass is easier than the guitar? Empty Thanks!

Post  x2n Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 am

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions! ^_^ It's just irritating to hear that our instruments are easy instruments to play. I love both instruments but, i just wish people would stop telling me that it's easy to play.

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:08 pm

No it ain't easy.Just look at how hard is for us to do the 1-3-1-3-1-3-1-3 kinda thing on the E,and do that on a guitar. Twisted Evil That's a preety example to show people their mistakes.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:04 am

Try 1-4-1-4-1-4-1-4 on the low B Razz

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Or give'em a BTBAM song Razz
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:33 pm

It kills me inside a little, sometimes. Mostly cause 90% of people are too obnoxious to listen to your side of the argument.

Like Yesterday [vday] I was learning my and my girlfriends song on acoustic, going pree well n stuf. And she updated her facebook saying thats what I was doing. And I got FLAMED.

Ugh.

The bass shall rise again, yeah.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  x2n Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 am

Cliff em' all wrote:Or give'em a BTBAM song Razz
I listened to one of the songs of Between the Buried and Me and it's scary haha but, i like it and the basslines are sick! Very Happy

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  x2n Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:29 am

x2n wrote:
I listened to one of the songs of Between the Buried and Me and it's scary haha but, i like it and the basslines are sick! Very Happy

Drakon, you are right! the bass will rise again! >_< and rock the world with pure awesomeness!!! 0_o oh! did you play the song for her? did she like it?

x2n

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:31 am

x2n wrote:
x2n wrote:

Drakon, you are right! the bass will rise again! >_< and rock the world with pure awesomeness!!! 0_o oh! did you play the song for her? did she like it?

SORT OF

See, Im no singer, Im a screamer.

She is a singer.

I learnt to play it and she sung it, we had a good day.

also

BTBAM are love and are gods to me.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:29 am

Drakon7 wrote:It kills me inside a little, sometimes. Mostly cause 90% of people are too obnoxious to listen to your side of the argument.

Like Yesterday [vday] I was learning my and my girlfriends song on acoustic, going pree well n stuf. And she updated her facebook saying thats what I was doing. And I got FLAMED.

Ugh.

The bass shall rise again, yeah.

Aww thats really sweet Smile
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:17 am

The bass hasn't actually ever risen yet Mad
It's a very new instrument, only 50 years old according to Victor Wooten. There's still so much that can be done with it. It will rise, in time, and when it does it's not coming down Twisted Evil

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Ha Ha! That just reminded me of a (now deleted) conversation I had with someone on youtube, when I first uploaded my beginners lessons.

It went something like:

Me: I mean, bass has been round since god-knows when. It was needed to support the high-end of guitar.

Some guy: No it hasn't. Victor wooten says it's still a new instrument.

Me: No, bass has been around for years as double bass. But even then, Wooten was wrong when he says the electric bass is 50 years old. The first electric bass was actually made in the 30's. It's a little bit older than when Leo Fender made it mass produced, which is when everyone presumes it was created. I made that mistake as well.

Some guy: WTF?! so your saying your better than victow wooten!?!?!?1111111

Me: Er, no. I was just pointing out that he was slightly wrong, and that the double bass has been around a lot longer than the electric.

Some guy: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!111111 NOOB!

Me: Yes.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:52 pm

I think I remember you talking about that, sometime!!

But also.

I dunno, the bass was pretty popular n stuf back in the ole funk days and whatnot.

And it was pretty cool in classic rock days, too

I dont think it was till.. I dunno.. Punk revival, maybe, that bass REALLY started to simplify in the eyes of others.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes on my many browsing sessions through wikipedia in the event of extreme boredom I search articles that I know are really long and just read it all. Eg. Metallica, Bass Guitar anything that interests me. But...yeah it was introduced in the 30s but didnt take off till the 50s
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next