Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bass buzzing

+4
willba
danthewelshy
Blackdragon
jj5547
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

bass buzzing Empty bass buzzing

Post  jj5547 Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi All
Im a newby to the forum, I have just made a bass guitar, all works well (for a novice) but I have a constant buzz. Its earth related as I touch the strings it will go I have metered out the cables all earth connect are fine. Should I screen the cavity the pots are in? Any help would be very kind.
jj5547
jj5547

Back to top Go down

bass buzzing Empty Re: bass buzzing

Post  Blackdragon Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Fret buzz is usually caused by strings viberating off the frets, maybe the action is set to low.

Also, i've never made a bass so i really dont understand the process, i'm just throwing out the idea.

EDIT - also i find that all basses will have a buzz, it only matters if you can hear it when you plug it in.

Last edited by Blackdragon on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum has carried out this type of work before. But try these two forums as there will be loads of response on the subject.

basschat.co.uk
www.talkbass.com
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Blackdragon wrote:Fret buzz is usually caused by strings viberating off the frets, maybe the action is set to low.

Also, i've never made a bass so i really dont understand the process, i'm just throwing out the idea.

No he means a different type. The type you get from a jazz bass with 60's style pick ups, theres a constant hum (gets louder as you turn the amp closer to 11), and when you start touching/playing the strings the hum/buzz go away. I really don't know how to answer you question as if I did I'd probably be giving you duff information.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:39 pm

danthewelshy wrote:
Blackdragon wrote:Fret buzz is usually caused by strings viberating off the frets, maybe the action is set to low.

No he means a different type. The type you get from a jazz bass with 60's style pick ups, theres a constant hum (gets louder as you turn the amp closer to 11), and when you start touching/playing the strings the hum/buzz go away. I really don't know how to answer you question as if I did I'd probably be giving you duff information.

I think i've seen that type of issue before - does the hum start fairly low and get louder if you don't touch it?
It was at my bass teachers house during a lesson, i think it was an issue with the amp. I'll text him and see what it was.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Dubherz would know about this kinda thing if he was around Sad
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:56 pm

I suppose it's fair to say as well its hard to make a judgement on what it could be unless we had the bass in our hands. Maybe ask a local luthier in your area for some advice. Most will know where you are coming from and be willing to help as its your first build.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Sounds like the pickup and electronics cavities need to shielded using copper tape. Also you need to connect all ground wires to one single point.

I have done this about ten times now and it always does the trick. If it is a jazz bass style guitar make sure you run some earth wires from the shielding in the lower pickup cavity to the earth point in the electronics cavity. also shield the inside of the cover of the electronics cavity to create a faraday cage (metal box). Some people tend to also shiled the back of the pickguard.

You dont have to buy expensive RF/EMC shielding tape, slug repellant tape will do - you can get this at your local garden centre or hardware store.

[img]bass buzzing Dscn0510[/img]

[img]bass buzzing Senny_10[/img]
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 pm

I mentioned the need for you and you answered lol!
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 pm

yay
dubhertz be back
now akyra for some spam/art related posts and its all good XD
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Yep i gotta pop in and show my face every now and then lol!
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Moar liek you've got to show your BASS every now and then, amirite? Amirite?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 pm

yep whateva lol!

And JJ we would all love to see pics of your handmade bass
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm

Here's something I've always wondered about (I bet the answer'll go way over my head), how does one know exactly where to put the frets when one is making a bass? If the answer's simply "measure another bass", then how did the first dudes do it?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:28 pm

Try this

LINK
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Oh I'm not actually building a bass myself, I'm just curious as to how it was determined what the fret spacing should be.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:47 pm

Pippynip wrote:Oh I'm not actually building a bass myself, I'm just curious as to how it was determined what the fret spacing should be.

you measure it
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 pm

What about way back when there was nothing else to measure? Trial and error maybe?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 pm

back in the day when there was nothing to measure with there werent fretted instruments

you can work out what fraction of the frequency of the open string you need to have in order to achieve a certain note
for example the octave of a note has double its frequency
ergo: when u half the string length you get the octave
same principal goes for all the other fretts except the maths is probably more complicated XD

Last edited by maxf13 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:56 pm

That's a good idea, just make a fretless bass! Less effort and cool fretless sound cheers
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 pm

maxf13 wrote:back in the day when there was nothing to measure with there werent fretted instruments

you can work out what fraction of the frequency of the open string you need to have in order to achieve a certain note
for example the octave of a note has double its frequency
ergo: when u half the string length you get the octave
same principal goes for all the other fretts except the maths is probably more complicated XD

There were fretted instruments in the 1930s, surely?

Ah so it's all really bloody complicated maths. Shoulda figured really Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

bass buzzing Empty bass buzz

Post  jj5547 Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks guys
For your comments, I have got some tape to cover the pot and pick up cavity will try this to see if I can get rid of the buzz.
You mentioned you would like to see the bass I have made 3 so far not really happy with any yet.Im working on mark 4 hoping to get over the problems I found (not knowing how to build a bass) but I am learning by my mistakes.
Mark 1 Ash body throu neck Fretless
Mark 2 Ash and saple with a washburn neck I had
Mark 3 Zebrano body with ash and saple throu neck
Regards JJ
jj5547
jj5547

Back to top Go down

bass buzzing Empty jj bass buzz

Post  jj5547 Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm

I can not get the pictures on the web but I will email them if you would like to see them
jj5547
jj5547

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:38 pm

Are they painted or natural bodies.....Even if you are not happy with them we would all like to see them. What type of pickups have you used, are they active or passive?
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:39 pm

jj5547 wrote:I can not get the pictures on the web but I will email them if you would like to see them

Use the "host an image" button when you post a reply.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next