Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ibanez SR300

+9
keizer
Heywood317
Drakon7
Dr.Sterni
Flycutter
Guzco
SuperMaximo93
danthewelshy
Fuzzy
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ibanez SR300 Empty Ibanez SR300

Post  Fuzzy Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 am

Hey guys,
I'm looking at trading in my SRX300 for the SR300 and just had a few questions, as i know a few of you have the SR.
Does the "Style Sweeper" knob make a huge difference?
Is the Iron Pewter colour just black or is it all sparkly? Some pics look like its sparkly and slightly green tinted..
How far apart are the strings spaced? Are they real close? Have any of you had any difficulty while learning with the string spacing?

Thanks Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Ibanez SR300 Empty Re: Ibanez SR300

Post  danthewelshy Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:17 pm

i don't think you would notice alot of difference. Maybe you should consider a squire vintage modified jazz(don't let the name put you off) or a Rockbass copy of a warwick if you are after something different.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:37 pm

I love my ibanez, just after a little smoother sound, which the SR can (hopefully) give me.
I'll give one a try before i buy it of course, as every music shop should have an SR300 in stock.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:55 pm

I don't like SRs to be honest. Everything is great, neck, body, feel. Except that the edge of the pickups are a little bit too far away from the strings for my liking, and it makes it annoying for me to play. When I tried it it was like there was a huge gap my thumb needed to cross to sit on the E string (the spacing between the strings was fine though).That's the reason I put it down before testing it with an amp (but the Tanglewood Canyon 3 I tried after was absolutely brilliant Very Happy).

BUT as it's a gripe about feel, only you can decide if you like it or not! Everyone likes the feel of different basses differently. You might love it! But try it first! Hope you get the bass you enjoy Very Happy
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:10 pm

Fuzzydice45 wrote:Hey guys,
I'm looking at trading in my SRX300 for the SR300 and just had a few questions, as i know a few of you have the SR.
Is the Iron Pewter colour just black or is it all sparkly? Some pics look like its sparkly and slightly green tinted..
How far apart are the strings spaced? Are they real close? Have any of you had any difficulty while learning with the string spacing?

Thanks Smile

I don't believe I have a "Style Sweeper" knob on mine Neutral

Can't answer the question about color as I have the Flame Maple version of the sr300.
<<Right there somewhere.

Yes, it does have a rather thin neck, but never has that been a problem. I find it as an advantage. The strings are closest together at the end of the neck at the first fret and I've never found it a problem of them being too close together. I haven't had any difficulty with it.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Flycutter Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Fuzzydice45 wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks Smile

Yes, you will notice a substantial difference when you adjust the style sweeper knob.

Ed Friedland gives a pretty good demo of style sweeper on the SR400

Flycutter
Flycutter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Sterni Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:15 am

Thanks for the vid! This says more than 1000 words!

That SR300 does have exactly the same active electronics and saying this you might imagine that it just sound the same. I am an owner of the 5-string version of "your" possibly wanted bass (the SR305) and believe me: it's just like that.

A HUGE variety of sounds, not only caused by using this style-sweeper-knob. All the other features as well overall give you endless possibilities for every sound you might want for different music styles.

The electronics are active, which is not too usual for a bass of this (low) price.

To answer your questions directly:

Oh yes! Definately!!!!!

I've seen these green tinted pictures as well. I don't know where they came from. You can imagine the color of the bass some soft of "dark anthracite". And yes, it is sparkly, but not too flashy or something like that. These very, very small sparkles just give it a nice "noble" effect that simply looks way cooler than this usual "laqueur only" - style.

Nice wood would be cooler, but then you'll have to buy the 400 (like in the video).

I can't judge about the 4-string version, but I like the handling of that bass very much. The neck has a nice grip, not too thin, not too thick. The strings on the 5-string-version are just perfect for me. On the 5-string you really have to be careful not to blow up your slapping, as the strings are quite close. This is supposed to be more comfortable on the 4-string-bass.

Don't forget, this bass has a nearly perfect weight-balance. Playing it while standing is pure pleasure, as it just stays the way you want it to stay. Nor the neck neither the body seem to drag the bass to any direction.

Hope it helps!

Best regards, Doc.
Dr.Sterni
Dr.Sterni

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:17 am

ahh sweet thanks, i'll try one out soon but so far i'm liking them Smile
just need to pick a colour now.. trying to decide between the orange, blue and iron pewter Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Sterni Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 am

Fuzzydice45 wrote:ahh sweet thanks, i'll try one out soon but so far i'm liking them Smile
just need to pick a colour now.. trying to decide between the orange, blue and iron pewter Very Happy

Hmm... I live in Germany and maybe they came up with different colors over here... But here you can buy the 300-modell only in pearl white, iron pewtor and metallic pink Smile (no joke!).

As I wanted to have the 5-string, I could not choose between colors, that is sold only in iron pewtor.
Dr.Sterni
Dr.Sterni

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:23 am

ahh damn i just checked the ibanez australia website and they only have red, blue and iron pewter..

lol pink! let me google..

Ibanez SR300 Previe10
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:37 am

How much you gunna sell your old one for? Wink
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Heywood317 Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:03 am

I want the Ibanez SR705.

It looks sexy. plus I wanna learn some Nevermore so I need a 5 string.
Heywood317
Heywood317

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:09 am

Drakon7 wrote:How much you gunna sell your old one for? Wink

hehe well how much are you wanting to pay?
its pretty much mint condition, 10 months old (6 of which were barely used) and its got a new set of EXL230's on it
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  keizer Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:14 am

I have the dark Blue one (almost looks Black) it has some sparkles in it but you have to look close to see it.

I love how it feels and plays great

Good luck on your color choice. Decisions.....decisions..... Very Happy
keizer
keizer

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:07 am

Dunno, really, I got no where to put it now Ive moved anyways Sad
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:03 am

lol I just rang up the local music shop and asked for a price on the SR300 and the guy said..
"We dont stock Ibanezes. We stock Corts that are made in the same factory as the Ibanezes but are of superior quality."
Wont be going back there..

I really hope we get guitar center over here soon.. theres no big chains, theres just local stores that dont have to deal with competition so they can just half-ass everything they do for whatever price they want.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  general lee Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:47 pm

LOL
I don't know why "Cort" and "Superior quality" don't sound so good together.

lol!
general lee
general lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:52 pm

I always wanted an EDA 900 or 905
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:58 am

which colour? halp meh chuse!
Link
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 am

I would go for black or red. rather black but red looks nice too..
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:37 pm

Black has my preference. Red is ok, too, but black is the best IMO.

Make sure you keep it clean!

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:16 pm

I'd rather have just black, but the iron pewter looks like this: Link
All glittery and meh..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Flycutter Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:30 pm

Fuzzydice45 wrote:I'd rather have just black, but the iron pewter looks like this: Link
All glittery and meh..

You could always pay a little extra for a different finish and get this
LINK
Flycutter
Flycutter

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:35 pm

I was thinking of the SR400, but they are much more rare over here and therefore cost an extra 50%.
I might get the red, which will look sick with the DR black beauties Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Red would be my choice out of those.
cherry
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down