Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scales Chart

+9
Garth
lokki
Dropthelines585
Dr.Sterni
Dizzae
Fuzzy
SuperMaximo93
danthewelshy
Smaz
13 posters

Go down

Scales Chart Empty Scales Chart

Post  Smaz Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:58 pm

I made this a while ago for Marlowe, as an idea. It never took off (yet Smile), so if any of you can make use of it:

Ionian = Major scale
Aeolian = Minor scale

Scales Chart Scalechart

I won't explain it now, as I'm half pissed Smile but it should show you the finger positions for the main 7 scale. Basically speaking, the scales are all the same - the only difference is what position it starts in.

If this helps, or any questions, let me know!

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Scales Chart Empty Re: Scales Chart

Post  danthewelshy Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:01 pm

In my opinion learning the modes is one of the best things i've done for bass, you see how they all relate to a "mother" scale.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:17 am

Cool, nice one Smaz! Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:32 am

nice, very helpful Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzae Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:52 am

Exactly what I've been looking for. Brilliant cheers
Dizzae
Dizzae

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Ok, to keep it short & simple:

Learn the major scale. The other scales (also known as modes) are exactly the same, but just start one note/position/interval up. So if you number the major scale notes 1 - 8, the next mode/scale would start on the 2nd note, and finish on the 2nd note and octave up. & so on... Smile

If this kinda thing helps anyone, I'll happy make more on triads, 7th chords etc., or go into each scale/mode in more detail. Just need a reason to do it Wink
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Sterni Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Very good, Smaz!!!

Thanks for your good work!
Dr.Sterni
Dr.Sterni

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:06 pm

I've been playing for 12 years and didn't learn about modes till I went to college. People don't realize what you can do with them, and that's if they even know what they are.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  lokki Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Well then, let's make it our job to spread the word and teach that what needs to be thought. cheers

And yeah, i think i need a little bit of tutoring in this field myself. Neutral
lokki
lokki

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Man this is perfect!

Thank you smaz!
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:47 pm

*Goes off to learn the scales* Thanks!
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:32 pm

An easy way to remember them is:

In Delivering Pizzas Always Make Lydia's Last

This was the phrase my theory professor used to help me remember them.

It's kinda silly, but it works for me.

If I remember correctly Ionian and Aeolian are the major and minor scales, but aren't there a few more notes than modern major and minor?
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Yeah Ionian is the Major scale and Aeolian is the minor scale.

I think of stuff in terms of solfège so if it helps anyone who knows that... Ionian is base Do. Dorian is base Re. Pyhgrian is base Mi. Lydian is base Fa. Mixolydian is base Sol. Aeolian is base La. Locrian is base Ti.

And I learned a much more valgar way to remember them from a friend... but I don't think it's a good idea to post it on this forum. I'll tell anyone if they really want to know, just pm me, but I don't want to say it on the public forum. Razz
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:24 pm

The best way to remember them(modes) is practice them. Just keep going over them. The way i did it was learn't all the shapes first, and then once i had that locked in my head i went back and learn't the names.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Mad!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 am

G|---------------------2-----4---2-5---4-7---5---
D|----2----3---2-5---3-----5---------------------
A|--3----5---------------------------------------
E|-----------------------------------------------

Ok, here's an exercise to help develop finger strength & co-ordination, while at the same time learning scales. If you like, you can even use it to learn where the notes are on the fretboard. A lot of benefits, from such a small & simple exercise Smile For those who struggle in playing with your pinky (like I used to!), this exercise also helps get over that problem.

Right, we'll start with the major scale. But before anyone says 'Ahhh I don't know any scales, I can't learn that that's far too advanced for me!' etc., don't worry - all you need to know is the fingerboard pattern for the scale (see the scales chart). This exercise will help you to build the scale into your muscle memory, so you won't even have to think about it Smile This can be used on any scale or pattern - whatever you need to learn, you can apply this method.

The major scale has 7 notes in it, so from the first note upwards we'll number them 1 - 7. The octave for the root note is actually note number 1 again, but for this exercise we'll call the octave (same note as the one you start at, but higher. It's two strings up & two frets up) note number 8.

I'm also going to number each of your left hand (right if you're left handed) fingers 1 - 4: Index finger = 1, Middle finger = 2, Ring finger = 3, Pinky/little finger = 4.

Also, if you want to learn note names: just take a second & think what note it is you're playing, say it out loud if you wish. I believe D'man has a video/post somewhere on note names, use that as a guide if you wish Smile

So, play the first note in the major scale, anywhere you like. The tab I've posted is in C, so if you wish to follow that it'll be A string 3rd fret. Play it with your second (middle) finger. Hold it for a few seconds. Now, skip the next note in the scale, and go for the third note. Sticking with the tab, that's the D string 2nd fret. Play this with your first (index) finger. Take a few seconds over it, and go back one note - A string, fret 5. Play this with your pinky. Because we're playing this at quite a slow pace to start with, you don't have to worry about spreading & stretching your hand - so don't worry about holding each finger above a fret ready for action. But it is important to play with a different finger on each fret for this exercise.

Now skip another note & play the next one. D string, fret 3. Play that with your 2nd finger again. Keep this pattern up, of skipping a note & going back etc, until you get to the 7th note of the scale - the 4th fret on the G string in this example. Now, to skip a note, you have to start the scale all over again, but this time with the first note being G string 5th fret. You're skipping that, so note number 2 would be the 7th fret. Slide/shift your hand up the neck, and play this with your pinky. Then go back to 5th fret, and we're done... Almost Smile

Do the same thing, but going backwards - start on the 5th fret G string, and go down. Skip a note, play the next etc. I'm not going to post the tab for that one - work it out, using your new knowledge of the scale Smile

For the strength building part of the exercise:

A common mis-conception is that 'speed = skill'. Therefore people try to play everything as fast as they can, thinking that the faster they can play the better they are. Well, while it does take skill to do that accuratley, it takes very little finger strength to play a scale fast - all you have to do is hold a fret down for a split second. But try playing it slowly, and holding the note down... Now it becomes harder, as it requires more strength to hold the note.

So, set a metronome off (drum loop if you'd like!) at say... 80bpm? 90bpm? Pick a speed you're comfortable with. When playing this exercise, hold each note for 4 beats - one bar. Ensure that you let the note ring out fully, don't just play it for a beat or two then wait until the next 4 beats for the next note.

Once you're comfortable at that speed, then slow the metronome down & repeat.

I'll have a video coming soon explaining & showing you what to do - just need to have a shower & wake up, so I can play the thing myself Very Happy

If this is confusing, or if you want parts explained more - please ask!
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:36 am

This now has it's own topic in the Bass Lessons section, so feel free to browse over that way & head there with any questions etc.

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuck81 Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:27 pm

great stuff here
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content