Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob)

+5
Guzco
danthewelshy
brk32
SuperMaximo93
FakeDrake
9 posters

Go down

Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob) Empty Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob)

Post  FakeDrake Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:06 pm

hello everyone!
I want to learn to play bass and i figure the first thing to do is buy a bass guitar and an amplifier.
However i want to dadicate to this purpose about 200-250 euros(which is equivalent to about 300 USD i figure) so i'm not the richest guy in the world.
I would like to ask you guys what should i look out for in order my new bass to last me as long as possible and if you have any particular suggestions...
thanks in advance

FakeDrake

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob) Empty Re: Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob)

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:50 pm

I would reccomend you go to a guitar store and play all the basses in your price range, and buy the one that speaks to you the most. As for the amplifier you won't need one to be that great as you're just starting out. I'd say pick the bass first then buy the amp with the money you have left over.

Good brands to look out for beginners (they're good for any skill level really but they offer budget basses that are great) are Ibanez and Squire. The Ibanez GSR200 is a very popular beginner's bass (I have one Very Happy see my display pic. It was either the Ibanez or a ESP that was £40 more. The Ibanez was better Razz). Washburn are supposed to be good too

Good luck with your new bass Very Happy
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob) Empty Re: Suggestions for a new bass(uber noob)

Post  brk32 Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:37 pm

I bought a Fender Squire Jazz Bass...

I got the bass, an electric tuner, an amp, cable, gig bag, a pair of headphones, instructional dvd, and a jack to take the 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack to a 1/4 inch jack to plug it into the bass for night time practice.

I paid $330 with shipping for all of it. The bass sounds good and I love it. I would go with a pack... you'll get a $200 bass and everything you need to play it.
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 pm

brk32 wrote:I bought a Fender Squire Jazz Bass...

I got the bass, an electric tuner, an amp, cable, gig bag, a pair of headphones, instructional dvd, and a jack to take the 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack to a 1/4 inch jack to plug it into the bass for night time practice.

I paid $330 with shipping for all of it. The bass sounds good and I love it. I would go with a pack... you'll get a $200 bass and everything you need to play it.

+1
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:53 pm

Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:37 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:I would reccomend you go to a guitar store and play all the basses in your price range, and buy the one that speaks to you the most. As for the amplifier you won't need one to be that great as you're just starting out. I'd say pick the bass first then buy the amp with the money you have left over.

Good brands to look out for beginners (they're good for any skill level really but they offer budget basses that are great) are Ibanez and Squire. The Ibanez GSR200 is a very popular beginner's bass (I have one Very Happy see my display pic. It was either the Ibanez or a ESP that was £40 more. The Ibanez was better Razz). Washburn are supposed to be good too

Good luck with your new bass Very Happy

I wouldn't say that washburn are too goood.Better go for that ibanez.Also stagg basses are very good for begineers.I preffered it from the fender squier they had.Buy some picks and a metronome with it.Also gig bag and tuner.Or you can buy a metronome/tuner.I have one and it very good.Also about the amp i suggest you should be very careful.Because you might have a great bass,but if it sounds like shit,then....
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  FakeDrake Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:44 pm

thanx guyz this was really helpful. I will go and look around tomorrow.

FakeDrake

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:01 am

Just as a tip... don't spend too much and don't spend too little either...

I'd say a bass in the $200 range is superb for what you want. You don't want a junk bass but you don't need a $400 or $500 bass to start with either.

You want something that will allow you to learn, something that sounds good and will last you a year or two before you think about upgrading.

The squire and ibanez basses in that price range are just that!

If you can get a pack deal like I did don't spend more then $350.
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:08 am

Remember,once you know what youre looking for. and after you played for about a year..

There is nothing more fun then shopping for basses!

Get one to last a year or two, then you can go shopping for one, properly.

Right now its hard if you cant play anything or whatever, cause you dont know what to look for, either.

Id go with Berk, get a pack one. Theres a good Ibanez starter pack. Loads of others, too.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 am

Drakon7 wrote:Remember,once you know what youre looking for. and after you played for about a year..

I bought a new bass two months after my first lol! I'm already GASing for a third... Embarassed I think I earn too much money for my own good Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 am

Drakon7 wrote:There is nothing more fun then shopping for basses!

STOP BEING F***ING AMERICAN!!!
"THAN" NOT "THEN"
jesus-tapdancing-christ..

Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  FakeDrake Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 am

actually its a bit weird shopping for bases(and generally anything) when you have almost no idea on the subject. the only thing you really know about the product once you buy it is its price and how cool it looks...

FakeDrake

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:15 pm

FakeDrake wrote:actually its a bit weird shopping for bases(and generally anything) when you have almost no idea on the subject. the only thing you really know about the product once you buy it is its price and how cool it looks...

But then you pick it up and play it at the store, compare it to other basses, and then decide purely on your personal taste (i.e. what sounds and feels best to you) which bass to buy Very Happy
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 am

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
Drakon7 wrote:Remember,once you know what youre looking for. and after you played for about a year..

I bought a new bass two months after my first lol! I'm already GASing for a third... Embarassed I think I earn too much money for my own good Razz

Man. Basketball
To fake:
I don't know where you live but if you liv ei neurope this site and especially these sets are great.

http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_squier_affinity_jbass_set_mb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_squier_affinity_pbass_set_mb.htm

These two depend on what music you play the most.

Or the ibanez sets the guys suggested you earlier!Have a nice buying man! bom
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatgoogle Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 pm

See if you can pick up a squier CV or VM for that price somewere. There probably the best bass's in their price range and some ive playind have defiantly been better then MIM fenders.

Fatgoogle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down