Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

broken fingers

3 posters

Go down

broken fingers Empty broken fingers

Post  skip250 Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:49 pm

im trying to learn to play bass, im left handed, i got big problem i broke middle finger and ring and small fingers about 2years ago the movement in those finger ent 100% but my thumb and index finger are ok, iv been trying step 1 and 2 lessions coz off my broken fingers i having broblems, can you tell me is it pos to play the bass just using my thumb and my index finger,

skip250

Back to top Go down

broken fingers Empty Re: broken fingers

Post  McSnuggles Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Are you talking about on your right or left hand?

You can do most bass if you can only use your thumb and index on your strumming hand. Slapping and popping would be the same. You may not be able to walk super fast using only your index but I've always felt people play bass too fast as it is without enough soul.

If you can only play with your thumb and index on your fretting hand, you're going to need to work very hard and get those fingers able to work well. You need to take it slow and try to build up some strength in those fingers. You really need all your fingers on your fretting hand to be able to play if you want to play most bass songs.

If you really can't play bass I urge you not to give up on music. You probably can't play guitar or keyboards but pick up the drums. You may be able to play them since it doesn't take as much dexterity of the fingers. Or the trumpet. Trumpet players really only need one good hand and I love the sound of a trumpet. I think more bands should feature a trumpet. Or maybe try singing. You don't need any hands to do that and it's the cheapest way to become a musician by far.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  skip250 Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:58 am

its my left hand this has the bad fingers

skip250

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Have you considered playing with a pick? You'd hold it between your thumb & finger, so shouldn't have any problems. It'd give you a different sound to using your fingers, but it's something you could try Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  skip250 Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:26 am

CHEERS Laughing mate i start using the pick its a diff sound but i dont care as long i learn to play my bass.

skip250

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down