Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY Bass work?

+2
danthewelshy
Protoplm
6 posters

Go down

DIY Bass work? Empty DIY Bass work?

Post  Protoplm Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:26 pm

Not all of us have the money to get their bass set up professionally, so I just wanted a small sample to see what people here have done for their bass. It'd be nice to see who knows what's up when it comes to certain matters.

It'd be nice to have an archive of knowledge set up with accounts/advice from people who've done it. For example, When I find the time I'm going to set up a mega post on fret buzz and link people who have problems to it. Sort of like an FAQ - they're on bigger forums for a reason. While D'man himself said that this isn't talkbass or somethingbassoranother, this is.. D'mans forum. Theres no reason to keep reposting information.

Here are some things I've done

- I've restrung my bass

- Set up action / truss rod / nut height

- Soldered on a new audio jack, as well as re-soldered some loose wires.

- I've rewired an electric guitar, very similar to a bass with active pickups.

- I'm going to make a new nut for my bass from scratch. I'll post when results of that come back. (My vintage bass has sort of a weird nut shape, so..)

While the internet has a wealth of information for every topic imaginable, it seems like a good idea to have our own bank of knowledge with our own warnings/comments/tips.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

DIY Bass work? Empty Re: DIY Bass work?

Post  danthewelshy Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:33 pm

Well I do everything myself now. Yet to wire pick-ups, only because I like what I've got so no need to, but I would do them myself anyway. I've always said though If i had say a £2000 set up, I would pay that extra £50/£100 to get the job done professionally, but as it stands im only working on £300 basses....
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 pm

danthewelshy wrote:I've always said though If i had say a £2000 set up, I would pay that extra £50/£100 to get the job done professionally, but as it stands im only working on £300 basses....

Usually DIY is applied to cheap basses to get us by, not to these masterpieces of the low end to make it sound amazing. I have to agree with it, if I spend that type of money on something I'm going to go out and have it done in a shop. Doing it myself isn't as reliable.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:51 pm

Protoplm wrote:
danthewelshy wrote:I've always said though If i had say a £2000 set up, I would pay that extra £50/£100 to get the job done professionally, but as it stands im only working on £300 basses....

Usually DIY is applied to cheap basses to get us by, not to these masterpieces of the low end to make it sound amazing. I have to agree with it, if I spend that type of money on something I'm going to go out and have it done in a shop. Doing it myself isn't as reliable.

argh i should have checked my grammar, but i take it you get what i ment! I should have said

If i had say a £2000 Guitar, I would pay that extra £50/£100 to get the set up job done professionally, but as it stands im only working on £300 basses....
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  turkeyBASSter Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:44 am

Now I don't even pretend to know what a complete setup would consist of but I had my action heigth adjusted, bridge adjusted new strings and frets leveled for $80.
$30 less if I hadn't bought new strings.
Being so new, I couldn't have done it to the point it is now.
Well worth it to me.
But if I could do it myself???????
Good point, Sir
K
turkeyBASSter
turkeyBASSter

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:34 pm

ive restrung my bass
re solderd most of the connections
set the action
and changed a tuning peg

my neighbour has been doing this kind of stuff for years so i can just ask him to do it if i cant
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:56 pm

I've done a lot of stuff to mine. omg

Of course restringing is a given

also

Hand crafted diamond plate pickguard
Replaced pickups with SD Hotstacks
Lowered the action
raised the pickups