Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My right hand hates me!!

+2
Cliff em' all
turkeyBASSter
6 posters

Go down

My right hand hates me!! Empty My right hand hates me!!

Post  turkeyBASSter Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:30 am

I think I have some sort of block or something.
Mental that is!!
So, I'm working on the riff and fills from Beginners Evolved and by no means can I get my right hand to "Walk" right.
I constantly revert back to one finger plucking.Annnnd in the times that I do get them to work together, they pluck at different strengths.
By no means getting frustrated, but is there a bad stigma to being a one fingered player??
Yes, yes, I know, it will come in time.
but does anyone have anything that helped them along in this department when they were learning to play?
Thanks,
TurkeyBasster
turkeyBASSter
turkeyBASSter

Back to top Go down

My right hand hates me!! Empty Re: My right hand hates me!!

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:28 am

Play with a pick.And i remeber seeing a guy playing whiplash with one finger. scratch
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:37 am

How long have you been playing? I wouldn't give up on using both fingers anything that you can utilize for your bass armory is going to beneficial to your playing in the long run. It might be a lack of natural rhythm, Try walking slowly... even painfully slowly and as you get used to it speed up.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:44 pm

2 fingers becomes a natural progression to play some songs
To get rhythm right.

A good song for that is Not Falling - Mudvayne, the verse riff, it sounds hard, but its pretty easy, and you feel very accomplished. Its very hard to play right with one finger

Thats how I learnt, anyways
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 pm

Only being able to play with one finger is rather crippling, don't give up on adding a second. It's the type of thing of carrying a heavy book bag on one shoulder. While it's more comfortable initially, it's much better to spread the weight over both shoulders.

Your problem is that you've played with your index more and your middle hasn't caught up yet. It's fine, but it just means it'll be more awkward at first. A few things to note

- Check the angle of your hand and make sure your middle has to travel the same distance as your index.

- Don't try to play anything difficult while you're learning to incorporate your middle finger. If you have to, mute all the strings and just pluck away slowly until you get them sounding consistent.

- If you're having real issues with it, try playing with just your middle finger.. It'll build up strength in the finger much in the same way you have your index.

- After you get them sounding similar, don't worry about having it perfect. It's very similar with picks in alot of situations with alternation. If I were to play something like 0--00--0--00 I have a tendency to go index-index-middle. It just feels natural.

@ Drak: I can't even figure out what's going on in the verse of Not Falling.. Video or not, I can't find the pocket to it where I can just play. Du Hast is probably a better example Razz.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  turkeyBASSter Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:28 am

All very good answers!!
and you would think with all the "practice" I've given my middle finger over the years
it would be AT LEAST as strong as my index!! Laughing
I'm gonna give the "play with only middle finger" and "slow it down" ideas a try.
Maybe it doesn't hate me per se, maybe it just doesn't understand me!
Thanks Gentlemen,
K
turkeyBASSter
turkeyBASSter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 am

turkeyBASSter wrote:All very good answers!!
and you would think with all the "practice" I've given my middle finger over the years
it would be AT LEAST as strong as my index!! Laughing
I'm gonna give the "play with only middle finger" and "slow it down" ideas a try.
Maybe it doesn't hate me per se, maybe it just doesn't understand me!
Thanks Gentlemen,
K

Or maybe you could get a phsyhologist to talk to your finger.They're are in fashion.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  turkeyBASSter Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:51 am

If I were to get a psyche to talk to my hand I may end up in the PRISON!! affraid
It knows all my secrets and has been known to elaborate on my misdoings!
K
turkeyBASSter
turkeyBASSter

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:22 am

Drakon7 wrote:2 fingers becomes a natural progression to play some songs
To get rhythm right.

A good song for that is Not Falling - Mudvayne, the verse riff, it sounds hard, but its pretty easy, and you feel very accomplished. Its very hard to play right with one finger

What tunning is not falling in? If its anything other than drop D which I gather it is im staying away..
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:24 am

turkeyBASSter wrote:If I were to get a psyche to talk to my hand I may end up in the PRISON!! affraid
It knows all my secrets and has been known to elaborate on my misdoings!
K

Shit,our old cop tricks don't work anymore...maybe it's time to retire...
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 am

danthewelshy wrote:
Drakon7 wrote:2 fingers becomes a natural progression to play some songs
To get rhythm right.

What tunning is not falling in? If its anything other than drop D which I gather it is im staying away..

Yeah, its in either Drop C or B[C but half step down]

its a really good song to learn, though, once you get it down in C/b, you can play it in standard and it will sound good, too. That verse riff isnt as important on notes as it is the pattern. I play it in standard all the time. It doesnt sound 'metal' or anything, so yeah, its good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPFdmpCvCHw
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down