Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just bought..

+10
Dmanlamius
danthewelshy
Rushfan30
Cliff em' all
Dropthelines585
Pastichio
SuperMaximo93
BlackF89
Drakon7
Fuzzy
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I just bought.. Empty I just bought..

Post  Fuzzy Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 am

An old Ibanez SR505 with the ADX pups for $500.
It's got a few scratches and a paint chip, but other than that its sweeeet.
It should get here in about a week Very Happy

Pics:

I just bought.. 110
I just bought.. 210
I just bought.. 310
I just bought.. 410
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

I just bought.. Empty Re: I just bought..

Post  Drakon7 Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Nice work!

How you handling the 5 so far in the first few days?
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:03 pm

He hasn't got it yet I don't think Smile
Do let us know what it's like going from 4 to 5 though, I'm interested in getting a 5 string
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:05 pm

It's not here yet, i just bought it on ebay. Laughing

Once i give it a good clean and polish it'll look a lot better..

The worst thing is I could've bought it for $400, but i decided to try and get it cheaper by going into a bidding war on ebay and as soon as the first bid was on the seller took off the buy it now.. so i ended paying more Crying or Very sad

BlackF89 wrote:He hasn't got it yet I don't think Smile
Do let us know what it's like going from 4 to 5 though, I'm interested in getting a 5 string

I'm hoping it won't be too hard for me to adapt, the SR's have verrry slim necks to I should get used to it pretty quickly.

Last edited by Fuzzydice45 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:11 pm

My bad, when you said you just bought I didnt think, then you had all the pics, first thing I thought was that you had it Razz

either way, update when you get it!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:24 pm

Couple more pics:

I just bought.. 510
I just bought.. 610
I just bought.. 710
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:19 pm

That's one sweet looking bass man Very Happy Tell us how you adapt to it. I'm also interested in getting a five string (it's irritating not being able to go below low E in jazz band and therefore sacrificing my bass precence by using higher notes Razz ). I'm probably going to get a Squier Deluxe Jazz rather than an Ibanez though.
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:21 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:That's one sweet looking bass man Very Happy Tell us how you adapt to it. I'm also interested in getting a five string (it's irritating not being able to go below low E in jazz band and therefore sacrificing my bass presence by using higher notes Razz ). I'm probably going to get a Squier Deluxe Jazz rather than an Ibanez though.

Some of those Squire Deluxe Jazz basses look real nice. If I was to get a five string I'd probably get one.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Good buy, dude. Ebay saves the day yet again!

I'm not a huge fan of "______by ______" intstruments. IMHO you'll be more satisfied by saving for the Fender.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:54 pm

That's MY bass.It looks all the same
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Nice man, For the most part I hear the 505's sound and play nicely! cheers
Hope you enjoy it.
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Good buy, dude. Ebay saves the day yet again!

I'm not a huge fan of "______by ______" intstruments. IMHO you'll be more satisfied by saving for the Fender.

Agreed - you'll find that the B string will be very weak on cheap 5 stringers
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm

danthewelshy wrote:

Hm... Yeah that's true. I guess I have a mixture of feelings of "I want a 5 string quickly by not saving as much" and "I don't really want to spend too much money on a bass I might not be able get used to because of the neck, string spacing, etc."

...Then again, I feel comfortable on any bass with a good action, a neck that isn't rediculously thin (beware Epiphone EB-0 Razz ) and pickups that I can rest my thumb on easily... I suppose I should just try out loads of 5 strings while I save (but if a Squier comes at a bargain price I'll jump on it, regardless lol! )
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:59 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
danthewelshy wrote:

Hm... Yeah that's true. I guess I have a mixture of feelings of "I want a 5 string quickly by not saving as much" and "I don't really want to spend too much money on a bass I might not be able get used to because of the neck, string spacing, etc."

...Then again, I feel comfortable on any bass with a good action, a neck that isn't rediculously thin (beware Epiphone EB-0 Razz ) and pickups that I can rest my thumb on easily... I suppose I should just try out loads of 5 strings while I save (but if a Squier comes at a bargain price I'll jump on it, regardless lol! )

You will never ever spend too much money on a bass. In music, as well as a lot of other things, you get what you pay for, and it goes both ways.

As far as getting used to an extra string or two. You got used to four didn't you? It's really not a huge transition. I've switched from four to five in the middle of shows without a sweat, so I say in a couple of hours you'll have no difficulty dealing with that pesky B string. no sense in stressing on it too much. The scale shapes are the same, you just gotta know when to start over. I'm tellin' ya, man, don't screw yourself by buying a 250 quid instrument that you're not gonna be happy with when you grow a little. Get something you'll grow into. It's like buying baby shoes.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:
You will never ever spend too much money on a bass. In music, as well as a lot of other things, you get what you pay for, and it goes both ways.

As far as getting used to an extra string or two. You got used to four didn't you? It's really not a huge transition. I've switched from four to five in the middle of shows without a sweat, so I say in a couple of hours you'll have no difficulty dealing with that pesky B string. no sense in stressing on it too much. The scale shapes are the same, you just gotta know when to start over. I'm tellin' ya, man, don't screw yourself by buying a 250 quid instrument that you're not gonna be happy with when you grow a little. Get something you'll grow into. It's like buying baby shoes.

Thanks for the advice man Smile You've inspired me to wait until next summer when I've got my GCSE results back (good results = good monez as a gift for most people Smile ) to get a new bass. By then I should have, according to my calculations... at least £1000! (thank goodness for window cleaning lol!) Not including free money for GCSEs or whatever...

*Prepares to drool over expensive basses*

...And hopefully by then I'll 'deserve' a new bass a little bit more than now lol!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:15 pm

LOVE Ibanez....!
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:52 pm

I played with a Squire 5 string for a while at a jam night I went to. The neck was easy enough to get used to width wise, but I found whenever I was playing I accidentally found myself on the wrong string a lot of the time ^^ The sound was good, the build quality looked good - the only problem was the guy had bought it second hand, and it looked like some kid had owned it previously & decide to adjust the bridge without having a clue what it did - so the saddles were all uneven etc. >.< I think the guy bought it for £150 - I'd have said that's a fair price, but if you're serious about something then I'd recommend sticking it out & picking up the better gear. I played a mexican fender precision & USA precision back to back in the shop before I bought one, and I can say that I'm glad I went with the USA one, even at twice the price - sound, feel, weight... everything Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:48 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
Dropthelines585 wrote:

Thanks for the advice man Smile You've inspired me to wait until next summer when I've got my GCSE results back (good results = good monez as a gift for most people Smile ) to get a new bass. By then I should have, according to my calculations... at least £1000! (thank goodness for window cleaning lol!) Not including free money for GCSEs or whatever...

...And hopefully by then I'll 'deserve' a new bass a little bit more than now lol!

no prob, brother. I only speak from experience. I think you're making a good decision. Let us know what you've tried out, what you like, and eventually what you decide on. I love reviews. I think I'm gonna build my next one myself. That way there will be no limitations on what I can have. I think everyone should do that eventually.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:
SuperMaximo93 wrote:
Dropthelines585 wrote:

no prob, brother. I only speak from experience. I think you're making a good decision. Let us know what you've tried out, what you like, and eventually what you decide on. I love reviews. I think I'm gonna build my next one myself. That way there will be no limitations on what I can have. I think everyone should do that eventually.

Totally, my mate makes some of his own guitars he still has the first one he made it's a 3/4 size silver (tele) body with a normal sized neck confused and the tone and volume knobs just act as on off switches haha he keeps it because it has an excellent tone though lol!
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 am

OK the guy sent it out on monday from perth and it'll take 5-7 working days to get here
Why does Australia have to be so fuckin' big?!
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 am

So big, but with the same population of countries 1/20th its size!

Not to mention american states.

The largest country on earth. 25 or so million
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:20 am

Drakon7 wrote:So big, but with the same population of countries 1/20th its size!

We're only the 6th largest country Sad

We're the largest island though Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:39 am

Fuzzydice45 wrote:
Drakon7 wrote:So big, but with the same population of countries 1/20th its size!

We're only the 6th largest country Sad

We're the largest island though Very Happy

Yea Russia is the largest country on earth and Canada coming in second place.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:31 am

I got my new bass on tuesday, gave it a good clean and polish/wax with some turtle wax I found in the garage, works a treat by the way, give it a go (on the poly only).

It only took me an hour or two to get used to the new string spacing (19mm down to 16.5mm), the extra string and the higher action (its as low as the saddles can go, but its still much higher than I'm used to).

So far I'm liking it, but the new bass is a bit too growly for my taste, with a strong mid emphasis.
I'll probably stick with it, unless I like the new Rockbass Corvette $$, in which case I'll rather trade both my SR300 and SR505 towards the Corvette or sell them on ebay, then buy the Corvette.

The neck is also much thicker than my SR300, but it's still perfectly manageable.

I thought it'd take much longer to get used to this completely different setup, but it wasn't a big deal and I got used to it pretty quickly.
If you're thinking of getting a 5 stringer, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, I'll probably stick with a 5 stringer as my main and then maybe later down the line buy a 4 string cheapy jazz for the other end of the spectrum.

Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:22 am

Fuzzydice45 wrote:I got my new bass on tuesday, gave it a good clean and polish/wax with some turtle wax I found in the garage, works a treat by the way, give it a go (on the poly only).

It only took me an hour or two to get used to the new string spacing (19mm down to 16.5mm), the extra string and the higher action (its as low as the saddles can go, but its still much higher than I'm used to).

So far I'm liking it, but the new bass is a bit too growly for my taste, with a strong mid emphasis.
I'll probably stick with it, unless I like the new Rockbass Corvette $$, in which case I'll rather trade both my SR300 and SR505 towards the Corvette or sell them on ebay, then buy the Corvette.

The neck is also much thicker than my SR300, but it's still perfectly manageable.

I thought it'd take much longer to get used to this completely different setup, but it wasn't a big deal and I got used to it pretty quickly.
If you're thinking of getting a 5 stringer, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go, I'll probably stick with a 5 stringer as my main and then maybe later down the line buy a 4 string cheapy jazz for the other end of the spectrum.

Very Happy

Cool man, good to hear Smile Now we need vids of it in action!! Very Happy
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next