Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whats a good bass for a beginner??

+13
DubHertz
Nocturnal_Pulse
CharlieB
Drakon7
Pippynip
Stryfer
Rushfan30
Fuzzy
Guzco
willba
SuperMaximo93
BlackF89
slipknott62
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

whats a good bass for a beginner?? Empty whats a good bass for a beginner??

Post  slipknott62 Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:44 am

i know there are alot of inexpensive basses out there...my niece wants to learn to play. i myself learned guitar before i decided to play bass..however she wants to start w/ bass...can anyone recommend a good playing cheep bass..??call me selfish..but i cant justify giving up one of mine for a beginner...; ) you know!
slipknott62
slipknott62

Back to top Go down

whats a good bass for a beginner?? Empty Re: whats a good bass for a beginner??

Post  BlackF89 Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Click This

Also I'd personally recommend the Ibanez GSR200 it's what I've started with it's not too pricey and I think it's decent.

But you're best going to a store and letting her try out different basses, see what suits her
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:50 pm

BlackF89 wrote:Click This

Also I'd personally recommend the Ibanez GSR200 it's what I've started with it's not too pricey and I think it's decent.

But you're best going to a store and letting her try out different basses, see what suits her

I second that link, the reccomedation of the GSR200, and letting her try out some basses, all from personal experience!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:56 pm

I have the GSR too! A common thing with learning musical instruments is that sometimes people get bored. So take it in to consideration and dont buy something too expensive until you are sure they are going to carry on Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:30 pm

If you want to be really cheap, check out http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

I've heard they are really not bad at all. Check out some videos of those basses on youtube if you want.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:55 am

+1 for an SX bass or GSR200.
I hear the SX basses are pretty good, I'd probably get one if they were over here and were cheap, the only place that I know of that sells them is melmusic in melbourne for $400 for the whole kit with amp.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:15 pm

What a lot of people are recommending is the Ibanez GSR200. It is not a bad bass at all really. I use it every day at school ( its the school bass ) for music comp, and band. It feels pretty decent, and has got a pretty good tone.
My personal bass I started with is a Fender J Bass Squire. I recommend this too. I use it all the time still. Never had any issues with it ( or the GSR200 ).
I also have another bass I got from a local guitar shop. It's called a Tradition B-100. Tradition isn't really a " big name " brand yet, but I love mine got it for $200. There website sells them for $600 dollars I think. You can find them cheaper in certain places though. Cool
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Well, I use a GSR205. I can say that it is an amazing bass for the price. Depends on what she likes.
The Squire J basses are more sophisticated, while the GSRs are more aggresive (the correct term is actualy more modern).
I prefer the clear sharp tone of the GSR.

Take her to a store, she'll sort of feel it when she has the right bass in her hands.
I know when I picked up my first bass it was awkward, but having held a bass or two in my hands before (all be it for a short time) I could tell this one was comfertable. What really got me though was when I heard the sound. Right then and there I knew I wanted that one.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 pm

With all this talk of how the bass feels in ur hands, reminds my of Harry Potter with the wands. The bass chooses the bassist Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 pm

I've only held one bass that was really low quality, It was a musicman rip off, bad intonation... really chunky ;o nothing really good about it at all
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 pm

The basses in my school's music department are absolutely horrible to play. The knobs are bent (shut up), the tuning forks are oddly loose, the action is terrible (higher than a beatnik), and the neck is also bent.

Despite all this, they've got a pretty good tone. Well, one of them has, the other one's lead jack fell apart internally.

On a completely unrelated note, steer clear of the cheapest Yamaha basses Very Happy
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:59 pm

Pippynip wrote:The basses in my school's music department are absolutely horrible to play. The knobs are bent (Hey Drakon, made a bad joke!), the tuning forks are oddly loose, the action is terrible (higher than a beatnik), and the neck is also bent.

Despite all this, they've got a pretty good tone. Well, one of them has, the other one's lead jack fell apart internally.

On a completely unrelated note, steer clear of the cheapest Yamaha basses Very Happy

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Bent Knobs, do all your teachers have that problem? Razz
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Willba, that's exactly right! It's just like how Harry chooses his wand. After all, one day we shall become great bass wizards Very Happy

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Drakon7 wrote:

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Only a few. Most the teachers in my school are pretty cool really, apparently we're really lucky because the teachers in other schools in my area are utter bastards.

This be gettin' off topic, so to steer us back on... I got a Crafter 'Cruzer' bass from me local music shop for about £170 with an amp, cable, couple of picks, strap, etc. I'd recommend the bass itself, it's good but I'm not sure which of the knobs do what exactly (Hey Drakon, make a bad joke!). The amp is kinda bad, but it'll do for a while. I actually didn't really try out the bass, because I didn't really know what I would be doing with it and I hadn't taken a bass-playing amigo with me, so I'm lucky I didn't get a right stinker.

Last edited by Pippynip on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:09 pm

When my brother played bass, he got a crafter cruiser, wasnt interested in music back then as i was about 8. My brother sold his bass and amp and my other brother sold his mic, amp and 2 electric guitars a few months before i decided i wanted to play a new instrument. One of the electric guitars my brother had was a flying V too!
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:02 am

Pippynip wrote:
Drakon7 wrote:

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

LOLOLOLOLOL

Only a few. Most the teachers in my school are pretty cool really, apparently we're really lucky because the teachers in other schools in my area are utter bastards.

This be gettin' off topic, so to steer us back on... I got a Crafter 'Cruzer' bass from me local music shop for about £170 with an amp, cable, couple of picks, strap, etc. I'd recommend the bass itself, it's good but I'm not sure which of the knobs do what exactly (Hey Drakon, make a bad joke!). The amp is kinda bad, but it'll do for a while. I actually didn't really try out the bass, because I didn't really know what I would be doing with it and I hadn't taken a bass-playing amigo with me, so I'm lucky I didn't get a right stinker.

Oh.. Well...

I thought your parents might have told each other

When a boy and a girl love each other very much...

???

Profit!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:39 am

Huge loss financially, apparently it costs about £194,000 to raise a child affraid

...of course, provided the protection fails
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:52 am

lawwwlllllll

Heh. So..

Basses eh?
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:55 am

Quite good, ain't they? With their like... strings, and that.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:22 am

Yeah and um..

Yeah...

Uh..

Boobs are awesome.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:27 am

Can't just do color=cyan, you gotta change the word cyan to #99EECC

Oh christ, now everyone's going to be putting hidden messages everywhere...
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 am

Hidden messages have been around a long time, and cyans all we've used

It doesnt appear any more or less hidden then yours though o.0

We ended up giving up on hidden messages, youve restarted the trend though (Y)
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:33 am

Hmm... I can't see my hidden messages at all, but I can see yours quite clearly. Odd...

HIDDEN MESSAGE ONE
HIDDEN MESSAGE TWO

Yeah, I can see 2, but not 1.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:48 am

Yours it green, mine is blue, I can see them both =/

Which means you might want to add less green. You know your HTML/RGB codes for colours? Id say try lessening it by... 10-15 G first, I have a high def monitor here at work which might be playing a part.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 am

Probably, yeah. Funnily enough now I know what's visible in my one, I can see it perfectly.

Ah bugger it, I'll figure it out next time I'm bored, right now I've got to sleep because it's 2am
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next