Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuner question...

4 posters

Go down

Tuner question... Empty Tuner question...

Post  Pippynip Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 pm

K, so I've got a Korg GA-30, there's something I don't quite understand about tuning to Drop D (well, tuning differently anyway). I know you have to press the Flat button twice and tune it to E (cheers Smaz Razz), but I don't quite understand why that works. Hear me out...

Say I have it tuned to Eb. Why, when I press the flat button twice, do I have to tune it down more to get to D#? Aren't they the same note? confused
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Tuner question... Empty Re: Tuner question...

Post  Smaz Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:35 am

That tuner has the wierdest way of doing drop tunings, I still struggle to understand why they did it that way...

When you press the flat button twice, it will be E down to half steps, ending you up with D, but the tuner will still say E when it's in tune (I guess it's because it's Ebb, which is D :S).

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you start with, as long as you've pressed the flat button twice it won't tell you you're in tune until you get to D. So if you start at Eb, it just means you don't have so far to tune down Smile

Edit: Just re-read the question Very Happy Basically it's going two flat from standard tuning on the tuner, it's regardless of what note the bass is tuned to when you plug it in. So if you're in Eb, it's not two flat from that.
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:23 am

Sorry... I'm still confused. I'll re-word it a little...

So say the tuner's pointing at Eb. I then press the flat button twice. I then strum the open string. The tuner is not pointing at E#. That's what I don't understand. I know that tuning it down so it says 4E tunes it to the D note, the thing I don't get it why I have to tune it down further to get it to say E#, because D# and Eb are the same note.

Is that clearer? Did you answer that question in your post and I'm being thick? Or am I just being thick? Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:38 am

I've lost you completely, but then again i've been awake for 20 something hours..

If your tuner says E and you've got no flats on, then it's an E.
If your tuner says E and you've got 1 flat on, it's a D#.
If your tuner says E and you've got 2 flats on, it's a D.

And so on...
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:39 am

Yeah, you had lost me completely Razz I know that. I expect my question would be better explained with a video or something, but it's not important enough Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:19 am

"So say the tuner's pointing at Eb. I then press the flat button twice."

Ok, for the tuner to be pointing to Eb, you must have pressed the flat button once. Pressing it again twice, will lead you with C# / Db.

So if you have the tuner set to Eb, you only have to press the flat button once to swap it down to D.

That any better? lol!
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:50 am

What about not touching the flat button and just tuning it until it says "D"?

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:53 am

It doesn't work that way on this tuner unfortunatley Sad
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 am

I paid the extra 5 bucks for the korg chromatic tuner, it just says what note you're playing Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Smaz wrote:"So say the tuner's pointing at Eb. I then press the flat button twice."

Ok, for the tuner to be pointing to Eb, you must have pressed the flat button once. Pressing it again twice, will lead you with C# / Db.

So if you have the tuner set to Eb, you only have to press the flat button once to swap it down to D.

That any better? lol!

Nonono, the tuner can still point to Eb without pressing the flat button can't it? That's how I've been doing it, just tuning it down until it reaches the 430 dot on the left hand side. If that's the wrong way to tune to Eb, that'll be why I'm confused Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Ahh Smile To tune to Eb, just hit the flat button once! Then tune so that the tuner says 4E or whatever it says, mine is packed away somewhere to check.

Flat button : Note

1 : Eb / D#
2: D
3: Db/C#
4: C
5: B
6: Bb/A#
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Cheers Very Happy

We got there in the end lol!
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down