Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some notes are way louder than others!!!

+4
Fuzzy
Stryfer
DubHertz
AJBOXER
8 posters

Go down

Some notes are way louder than others!!! Empty Some notes are way louder than others!!!

Post  AJBOXER Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi you guys,

Im new here but i have been playin the bass for about 2 and half years and i purchased a Fender Jazz Bass (Highway One) about six months ago and i am really happy with it accept for one thing that has gotten to my last nerve.
The problem is that some notes are so much louder than others, for instance, the note A is on every string is much louder and causes the amp to rumble.
My local music shop has told me to adjust the pickups and so i did but it didn't get rid of the problem, i mean the overall volume of the strings were brought down but the volume difference still remaind!
Later they told me to change the strings and so i did but it did not help at all!

This issue is doin my FUCKING head and its pissing off!!!

Please help for i will be greatly thankfull!

Sincerley, Aleander Jarvis

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Some notes are way louder than others!!! Empty Re: Some notes are way louder than others!!!

Post  DubHertz Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi are the loud notes noticable when the guitar is unplugged? What are you connecting it to? Dont mean to insult you intelligence but these questions will help to find an answer.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Some notes are way louder than others!!! Empty Re: Some notes are way louder than others!!!

Post  AJBOXER Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:16 pm

Well thats the hader part to hear but i would say its still louder when unplugged, i tried my bass on numerous amps such as, Markbass, Ampeg, Fender, Hiwatt and the volume differnce has been the same on all of the amps

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 am

Were they all tested in the same place? There are certain frequencies (and A is one of the more common ones) that react with various objects in the environment causing them to vibrate. This makes it seem as if the notes are louder even though they aren't. For example, I think my windows vibrate on the A note...although I'm not sure. I also have this problem with the G, but only my heater reacts to that one.

Other than that, I don't see what the reason could be.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:26 am

Is the action lower on the A string, compared to the other strings?
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  f8tlbyte Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 am

I thought he said it was the A note, not the A string. That was the first thing i though too though.
f8tlbyte
f8tlbyte

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:51 am

Ahh yeah my bad..
As stryfer said, it might be random stuff in the room vibrating.
My alarm clock goes nuts if I play the octave on the E string.
Very Happy
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 am

Well thats good stuff but this isnt really helping me. When i say it rumbles, it really goes apeshit!!! It sounds like the entire room is turning into a waterfall. Cmon guys, loving all the replys here and i am thankfull but just give som more ideas.

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:20 am

You can't really do anything about it, the sound is matching the resonant frequency of different items in the room, such as the amp, causing them to vibrate.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:00 pm

But how come it still is louder when played unplugged

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Is the A note unplugged noticeably louder than the notes on either side of it?
Play the 12th fret on the A string, then play a few frets either side of it to see if they're just a loud..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Its defenitley still abit louder on both sides of the note A

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:19 pm

But not as loud as the A itself?
Maybe the A note is the resonant frequency for your bass's body/neck/whatever..
That's the only thing I can think of.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:26 pm

Well thanks anyway for all the assistance you have given me but im gonna go straight to the source and give them a right good hidin,

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 pm

.... maybe you just hit the note harder than the rest Laughing
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

Look man, from what I can gather it IS the frequency thing. So, try it someplace else.

Maybe go outside and then see if the problem persists. Outside the sound can escape and it shouldn't cause any vibrations.

Maybe you just hear the A note louder? Laughing

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that they managed to screw up every single A note on the bass Shocked Unless someone wanted to have fun with you XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Stryfer wrote:Look man, from what I can gather it IS the frequency thing. So, try it someplace else.

Maybe go outside and then see if the problem persists. Outside the sound can escape and it shouldn't cause any vibrations.

Maybe you just hear the A note louder? Laughing

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that they managed to screw up every single A note on the bass Shocked Unless someone wanted to have fun with you XD

Hear hear!
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 pm

Nope i have tried that aswell an it doesnt make a differnence becuse when you turn up the bass on the amp thats when it goes mad

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 pm

as sum 1 said i can imagine that the A note happens to be the resonant frequency of your bass neck body whatever
i could imagine that adjusting truss rod, action and intonation could change that frequency and cause it not to be on a note that the bass plays
also are you using small practice amps?

cause i had the same problem while i was using small practice amps (regardless of model/manufacturer) but once i upgraded to a bigger amp it wasnt a problem anymore so maybe give playing on a larger amp in ur music store a shot
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah sure i will give it a go but i sending to Fender here sweden and i am gonna let them have loek beacuse at this point, ive tried just about every thing to fix so i am gonna let the pros deal with it but thanks again for all this help, learning allot Smile

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:21 pm

I don't know if this helps, but if you have a compression knob on your amp, turn it up a tad.

If this is a set-up problem this will not help, but no one's said this yet so yeah..
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down