Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stuck major chords

+2
SuperMaximo93
mothball
6 posters

Go down

stuck major chords Empty stuck major chords

Post  mothball Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:54 am

hello.
it looks like you need 3 strings to play the major chords, Does that mean that my root note cannot be on the D or G string?
thanks

mothball

Back to top Go down

stuck major chords Empty Re: stuck major chords

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:59 am

Major chords/scales are just a set of notes, and those notes are all over the fretboard, so if you run out of strings, you can keep going up the scale by going up the string. If you mean chords as in 3-notes-at-once, then you can play double stops (2 notes at once) or play inverted chords, which basically means that the root of the chord is not on the lower string, so for example instead of hitting, say, a C (the root) first, you hit another note and then you play C after

I hope this actually makes sense Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  mothball Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:33 am

thanks-i really appreciate yer help.
THe first sentence makes sense....
I think the rest will make sense to me in the future.
I don't know how to add those smiley things to my message-but let's just pretend one is here.

mothball

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 am

Let me try and simply what he said. There is of course a scheme, for a major chord, that you can move anywhere around the neck. Of course, you won't be able to play a chord with the root on the D or G with that scheme. In this case you have to turn to theory (my least favourite subject XD).
A chord, in the sence that you are using it, is a group of 3 notes strummed at the same time (of course those notes need not be strummed at the same time, they can be played alternatively...bla bla bla). For now, lets say were strumming them at the same time. It is a group of 3 notes (again, it can be any number of notes but that's bla bla bla). In order to strum them all at the same time, each note must be on a different string. The thing is, that those notes can be in any order. If we take the 3rd fret on the A string (C) as an example, then the following two notes will be on the D and G string. If we hold that C on the G string 5th fret. Then we need to find the same two we played with it earlier, on the D, A and E string. Your fretting hand will be in a weird position and the root will be the highest note in the chord, but that doesn't matter as long as the other two notes are the chord notes.

For example, if I take a root-3rd-7th kind of chord. That would be C - 3rd fret A, E - 2nd fret D and B/H - 4th fret G.
If the root is on the G string I would have to do this: C - 5th fret G, E - 7th fret A and B/H - 7th fret E or 9th fret D if you have a big enough reach.

Of course, if you're playing notes alternatively, then it's just like playing a scale.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 pm

you said simpler. That post is longer by a mile. lol.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:56 pm

In effect your root notes cant be on the D or G string unless you play arrpegios (chords but played individually) so a C maj would look like

Code:

----------------0----
----------2----------
------3---------------
-----------------------

so if your root was 2nd E then it could look like

Code:

-------1---6----
----2-----------
------------------
--------------------

Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 pm

I know I read about something like this on studybass...

http://www.studybass.com/

Just check out the left side for bass chord patterns/scales. You'll learn quite a bit, just devote some time to trying to understand it all.
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:03 am

Change the "simpler" to "better elaborated with an example" XD

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  mothball Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks for all yer
your help-dang that is alot for me to process.
I will tell you what i was trying to do.
I watched the Major Chords explained video (about 8 times) and i was trying to do the exercise.
I thought that I was suppose to do it on every single note on every single string-
but i kept running out of strings.
So basically, I can't do that exercise on every single note on every single string.right?
thanks

Oh and i did order the book fretboard roadmaps and i think it will help me.

mothball

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down