Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Note memorization

+7
Stryfer
BlackF89
willba
KrysH
Blackdragon
phil
MetalJacob
11 posters

Go down

Note memorization Empty Note memorization

Post  MetalJacob Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:27 am

So I've recently started learning bass and in his major scale video he said we should know all the notes on the fret board.I saw the picture and everything,but does anyone have any good ideas to help me memorize it?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Note memorization Empty Re: Note memorization

Post  phil Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:40 am

Note memorization Bassguitarnotes1_ak_010308
i remember it simply by E's and B's dont have sharps
therefore from the E string working down you have
E (No Sharp)
F
F#
G
G#
A
A#
B (No Sharp)
C
C#
D
D#
E (Octave 12th fret)
Same for the other strings.
Hope this helps...Good luck.
phil
phil

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:52 am

Cool thanks man.
Any other ideas?
Also gotta ask now, why do those not have sharps while the others do?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:57 am

Just remember everything has a sharp but B&E(i relate it to breaking&entering... it just makes sense that way.)
A,B,C,D,E,F,G - They are natural notes, they are not sharp or flat of each other.
A#,C#,D#,F#,G# - They are non-natural notes because they are sharp or flat of a note listed above.
If you were to play a B# it would sound the same as C, same for E# and F.
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:02 am

There's a little program called Fretboard Warrior on the net somewhere, I think it's Flash based, it displays a full 6 string guitar fretboard so not strictly for bass and acts almost like a timed game.

A dot appears on the fretboard and you pick the note from the list at the bottom and get a right or wrong answer - it scores you at the end of the time limit you have set I think.

LINK - Fretboard Warrior

They have it for iPhone too apparently.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Note memorization Empty Note memorization

Post  willba Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am

I just remembered the order that the notes go in from 1st-12th fret on the E string, then I memorized the first note on the first fret on each string (F, A#,D#,G#)

Then I either work my way down to the note I need to know or, if I can, work it out by moving up or down an octave from a note I definately know. Very Happy
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:45 pm

KrysH wrote:There's a little program called Fretboard Warrior on the net somewhere, I think it's Flash based, it displays a full 6 string guitar fretboard so not strictly for bass and acts almost like a timed game.

Is there even a bass option though?
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  KrysH Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Well given that the first four strings are tuned the same EADG learning the other two can only be a bonus but no on the free version there isn't a bass option.

The paid options (which are a tad expensive imho) are split into a Guitar version and a Bass version - and they have more functions than the free version.

The free one isn't bad tho.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:12 pm

I just memorized the notes going across where the fret markers are, then I started putting tabs into not form instead of numbers Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 am

Here's a few basic suggestions.
The 5th fret of each string is the same note as the string below it. So the 5th fret of the E string is A and so forth.
Likewise, the 7th fret of each string is the same not as the string ABOVE. 7th fret on A is E.
Also, you probably know the 12th fret is the octave.
And of course the simple octave pattern. Example: 3rd fret on E, the octave is the 5th fret on D. Remember that hand position. This pattern applies across the entire fretboard.

It's a good idea to learn the 3rd fret notes and the 9th fret ones too, the rest can be filled in no problem.
Suprisingly, you'll probably learn the 2nd fret notes by heart as well, through playing. This is because most of the 2nd fret notes are not sharp ones, unlike the other undotted frets, so they are used more often.

Here's another relation I've noticed:
If you play a note on say the 7th fret of the E string, that same note will be located on the 2nd fret of the A. That's a five fret distance and one string lower (or it will be a string higher if you go in the other direction towards the higher notes). This rule applies anywhere on the bass (as long as you have the five fret distance).

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:31 am

Some really good answers here!

I wrote a blog post about this some time ago if it helps:

http://learnbass.net/wordpress/2008/11/how-to-learn-the-notes-on-the-bass-fretboard/
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Stryfer wrote:Here's a few basic suggestions.
The 5th fret of each string is the same note as the string below it. So the 5th fret of the E string is A and so forth.
Likewise, the 7th fret of each string is the same not as the string ABOVE. 7th fret on A is E.
Also, you probably know the 12th fret is the octave.
And of course the simple octave pattern. Example: 3rd fret on E, the octave is the 5th fret on D. Remember that hand position. This pattern applies across the entire fretboard.

It's a good idea to learn the 3rd fret notes and the 9th fret ones too, the rest can be filled in no problem.
Suprisingly, you'll probably learn the 2nd fret notes by heart as well, through playing. This is because most of the 2nd fret notes are not sharp ones, unlike the other undotted frets, so they are used more often.

Here's another relation I've noticed:
If you play a note on say the 7th fret of the E string, that same note will be located on the 2nd fret of the A. That's a five fret distance and one string lower (or it will be a string higher if you go in the other direction towards the higher notes). This rule applies anywhere on the bass (as long as you have the five fret distance).

It's seven frets the other way. Open E equals to seventh fret on the A.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:44 am

Hmm, maybe it was too confusing but I said "A string HIGHER if you go in the other direction" i.e. A string above.
I don't count the 7 frets for the string below as it's easier the other way around Very Happy

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 am

I only recently started learning the notes, and even then I'm still not that quick with it.

The easiest thing? Just learn the notes without any sharps/flats up to the 5th fret. You'll then only need to know 2 per string, and can work out sharps or flats by just moving a fret up or down. Then when you need something on say the 8th fret E string, that's the same as the 3rd fret A string... which is C Smile

I found that playing blues really helped me get used to playing by notes & memorising them. Playing 12 bars in C, 8 bars in G, another song in F... But that's just me Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  phil Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:12 pm

Try this one it's brilliant (or was/is for me). (<--click on that<--)
It shows a note and times your reaction time to read that note and then gives you a rating.
hope it helps...
phil
phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:02 am

Here's another neat site to help you learn the fretboard as well as other great things!
Victor Wooten's Learning Lab
Just click on "Launch The Labs".
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  MetalJacob Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:01 pm

This thread is really old.

Good thing I still needed help though! Thanks for the links guys. I needed practice reading music too so it's perfect!
MetalJacob
MetalJacob

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:05 pm

[quote="MetalJacob"]This thread is really old.

There are bigger gaps than this one in other threads Razz

example:

https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/general-chat-f3/what-is-this-bass-t206.htm#17733
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down