Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which bass ampli?

+6
Dropthelines585
maxf13
Some freaky guy
SuperMaximo93
Dmanlamius
mb
10 posters

Go down

Which bass ampli? Empty Which bass ampli?

Post  mb Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:09 am

Hi,

I am an amateur bass player 24 years old using a Cort a5 5 string bass that my friend gave me.
I recently bought a Marshall B65 made in uk for 300 euros.
After I bought the marshall, I tried the roland cube bass 100, I loved the effect and ampli models on it.

For the sound, I think the roland cube have a plastic sound compared to the natural sound of marshall.
But again, it's the effects and amp models on the roland interested me.

I'm a real begginer, the seller told me that I can change the marshall with the roland if I want, but he suggested me staying with my marhsall and to forget the effects because I'm beginner and that I must not spend my time with that before learning it real good.
Altough he said that the english marhsall sound more natural as it is an analog ampli and english made. He also said that those english marshall ampli's are hidden gems in the market, saying that nowadays all became digital...

What do you suggest, I have 10 days to change it. I bought a modelling bass processor Digitech, but dont like it as I tested the roland...
I can give my modeller and my marshall ampli and get the roland 100 without paying anything...
Or I can just take my money back for the modelling processor, and continue with the marshallb65.

Thank you.

mb

Back to top Go down

Which bass ampli? Empty Re: Which bass ampli?

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Just replied to your PM about this.

With questions like these, it's best to ask the whole forum, as many peoples experience is better than one.

Although I played through a Marshall stack for over ten years, and have a Roland cube someone else, may also offer some great advice!

Hope it helps Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Yeah, its not a good idea to PM people when there's the whole forum to ask. Just be patient and you should get a flood helpful of replies soon enough Smile

Anyway, it doesn't matter if you're a beginner or not, you can use effects whenever you want. It's your hobby, you can enjoy it how you want! Although yes, it is a good idea not to get too distracted with effects to an extent that it stops your progression.

Since you're a beginner and just getting into things, I'd get the Roland. With the effects and modelling it'd be a funner amp to use, and I don't think you'd need to worry about whether the tone is plasticy. The main thing you want to worry about is getting to grips with the instrument and, at the end of the day, having fun. Save the 'natural' tone for when it matters (gigs!).

That's just my opinion though, and there'll be many other opinions, but ultimately its up to you and what you personally think is best for you!

P.S. Thread moved to Gear Chat
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Little piece of advice: The more stuff you have in an amp, the more likely it is for one of the stuffs to break. The only bass amp at school has an on-board effects rack, and it's broken. All the effects sound HORRIBLE and it's locked to "on".
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:06 pm

Personally i would stick with your marshall (if it is working properly)...
The effects on the Roland will be nice, but you will get bored of it relatively quickly
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 pm

If you already have an amp, why not just buy a couple of stomps?. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper that way.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Stick with the Marshall and the clean analogue sound rather than the Roland's digital representation of an analogue tone, you wont regret it.

As SFG states digital stuff breaks easily, mainly due to cost effective (cheap) production and assembly and the use of lead free solder which doesnt make strong solder joints. If the Marshall breaks it will be a damn sight easier and less expensive to repair than the Roland.

DTL said it......get some stompboxes/effect pedals if you need the effects.

And as Dman states, he has been playing through a Marshall stack for years - kinda gives you some idea about the reliability of Marshall equipment.

And I wish one of my friends would give me a Cort A5 nice looking basses Very Happy

Hope this helps
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:If you already have an amp, why not just buy a couple of stomps?. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper that way.

how did i not think of that Suspect
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Stuff like this gets up my nose.

You ask a question in three different places, I take time out of my day to reply, and my friends here reply to the thread (of two) that you started on the forum, and you don't bother to reply to them, either...

Annoying.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:58 pm

I once had a piece of apple up my nose, so I know how you feel.

Has the original poster even logged on since he asked?
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Some freaky guy wrote:I once had a piece of apple up my nose, so I know how you feel.

Has the original poster even logged on since he asked?
Today at 19:06

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Oh, cool. Would have been nice of him to reply to his own thread while he was at it.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 pm

YEAH MAN

JUST 'CAUSE THIS IS THE INTERNET DON'T MEAN YOU CAN BE ALL RUDE AND THAT MAN

MB? MEGABYTE? MOAR LIEK MEGADYKE

...Oh, the irony.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down