Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building my own Bass!

5 posters

Go down

Building my own Bass! Empty Building my own Bass!

Post  SyneRRR Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm building my own Fretless Precision Bass, and I have experience building guitars but I have only ever built low quality Tele copies and things of the sort and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what parts I should use? so far I have the woods I want to use but I have no clue as to what hardware to use.

I'm building it with a fairly retro style with the pickup covers and bridge covers and a thumb rest.

Body: Ash
Neck: Maple
Fretboard: Rosewood

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
SyneRRR
SyneRRR

Back to top Go down

Building my own Bass! Empty Re: Building my own Bass!

Post  Dmanlamius Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:24 pm

Sounds like an interesting project!
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  lololiet Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Maybe you could specify a bit what kind of sound you're looking for or what budget you have.I've heard, for example a lot of good things about DeArmond gold tone Humbuckers, but those are, like, £200.
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SyneRRR Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Yeah, sorry my budget is £500 and I'm looking for a very jazzy sound almost like an upright, I know it wont sound LIKE an upright but I think you get what I mean. I've been listening to a lot of Charles Mingus which has inspired me to look into this sort of project because right now I dont have the money or space for a decent double bass.
SyneRRR
SyneRRR

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:49 pm

A friend came round with a 60's Gibson EB3....it sounded alot like an upright maybe you could get some vintage 60s-70s pickups I think Squire make a precision with a large metal pickup right up in the neck joint.

I have heard a lot of good talk about Wizard pickups www.wizardpickups.co.uk you can email them and tell them what you are looking for.

A set of D'addario Chromes flatwound strings. A Badass bridge, Sprague "Orange Drop" capacitor for tone control.
CTS or Alpha potentiometers for the volume control.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:15 pm

A semi-hollow would help produce the sound you're looking for, however it's probably a lot more difficult to make.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SyneRRR Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks for the help guys, Semi-acoustic sounds kind of out of the question but I Will look into it although I doubt my skills as a 'Luthier' are adequate.
I was thinking of using those black nylon flatwound strings for a more upright tone and I'm looking into the wizard pickups right now. Thanks again guys.
SyneRRR
SyneRRR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down