Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B flat tight or loose strings?

3 posters

Go down

B flat tight or loose strings?  Empty B flat tight or loose strings?

Post  Yanker Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:43 pm

My question is about The B flat note. When tuning B flat, I can do it with string tight and loose, but I realized it sounds different. So my problem, Should I leave the string tight or loose in B flat?

Yanker

Back to top Go down

B flat tight or loose strings?  Empty Re: B flat tight or loose strings?

Post  Stryfer Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:20 pm

Tuning B flat is a matter of tuning down your B string by half a step, assuming you have a 5 string bass.
If not, tuning down an E to B-flat is an option, but the string gets too loose in that case.

Never, and I mean never, tune your strings up (i.e. never tighten them) because this adds a lot of tension to the neck and could damage it.

The reason it sounds different is because you are probably going up or down an octave. The point of a B-flat tuning is to get deeper notes, so you should tune down (i.e. loosen it). If it's a 5 string bass and you tightened it, then get it loose right away, because you just went up almost a whole octave! I'm surprised the string didn't snap!

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Do you have a 4-string bass or a 5-string bass? If 5-string, and you're tuning the thickest string to B-flat, then definitely have it loose as opposed to tight. Damage to neck and stuff, as Stryfer said.

If you have a 4-string, and you're tuning the second-thickest string, you have two (main) options - either tune the string to A, or if you want it to be Bb, use a lighter gauge string. Look for .75 or perhaps .80.

If you have a 4-string, and you're tuning the thickest string, I wouldn't recommend tuning it to B-flat. If it's tight, it's too tight, and if it's loose, it's too loose. You can get the bass set up so that the lowest string is B-flat, then E-flat then A-flat then D-flat, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're in a metal band or something.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanker Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:09 am

Thank you, you both! I appreciate your help! I have a 4 string bass and the string I'm tuning is thickest one. But the problem is that the string hits the neck when playing it. Neutral

Yanker

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Yeah, don't tune that one to B-flat. That one, provided it's a .100 or .105 gauge and is in standard tuning, is tuned to E. It should be fairly tight, but not too tight.

If you would like it tuned to B-flat, take it to a professional and ask him to set up your bass for B-flat standard tuning. I would recommend (from thickest to thinnest) the gauges .130, .105, .85 and .65.

What I wouldn't recommend is actually doing it at all - if this is your only bass, it's far better to have it set up for E standard tuning. If you need the B-flat tuning, then I'd recommend getting a 5-string bass.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:29 am

Exactly as Pip said, if it's not a 5 string bass, don't tune it to B-flat.
The lowest reasonable tuning you can go to is drop C.

Since B-flat is rarely used, and modifying a 4 string for it probably isn't cheap, I'd suggest you get a cheap 5 string bass for that. 200 euros will net you a solid 5-string and they're painless when downtuning to B-flat or even A-standard (ala Fieldy from Korn)

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Yanker Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:33 am

Once again thank you so much!

Yanker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down