Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client

+8
mistawac
Garth
Fuzzy
danthewelshy
Pastichio
mts
Dmanlamius
Smaz
12 posters

Go down

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Empty IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client

Post  Smaz Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:38 pm

IRC Chat: Tuesday 30th June 7pm BST

Right, it seemed that there were two popular choices for the chat: One was to use IRC, another was to use voice chat. So I'll go about setting up both Smile IRC is quickest & easiest, so I've done that in hope that we can get a chat going tonight. Just come on in & chat - it's a great way to ask questions, get advice from other users, share ideas/tips etc., share links, or just have a chat about what you ate for dinner.

Lets say try & meet between 7 - 8PM UK time to get started? Check here for what time it is over here in the UK to work out when you'd need to be on:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136

I know it's a bit short notice, but this is just a test mainly, see how it goes Smile Next time will be more organised!

EDIT/UPDATE:

I found a great web based IRC chat last night: http://www.mibbit.com/chat

To use it, simply select the Quakenet server from the list, give yourself a nickname & choose #dman as the channel & click ok!

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Mibbit1

Once you click ok, you should jump straight into the action! Smile

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Mibbit2

Please note, I'll leave my PC on whilst I'm at work, so that you guys know you've turned up at the right place - if my name says 'Smaz`work', then I'm not back yet Smile
For those that haven't used IRC before, here's a very quick guide that will get you online & chatting in minutes. We'll be using mIRC, the hugely popular chat client (though you can use any IRC software, this one is quick & easy).

1) Download & install the mIRC software:

http://www.mirc.com/

2) Load the program, and you should be greeted by the following screen. To access this again at any point, just go to Tools --> Options at the top. I don't think name & email are important, so you can just put anything in those two boxes. Give yourself a nickname (your forum one would be handy for recognition Wink), and an alternative nickname incase your first nickname is taken on the server. Don't click connect just yet!

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Irc1

3) Click on the Servers category on the left hand side menu. Search through the folders for one called Quakenet, then click Random Server. Click Select, not OK. You should then be taken back to the name/nickname screen again - if not, select Connect from the list.

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Irc2

4) Click connect!

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Irc3

5) It'll take a moment, saying it's connecting etc., then come up with a message of the day. It should also pop up a box so you can choose what channel to connect to. Enter #dman in the box, and click Join. The # is important, and it must be lower case. If you don't see this box or accidentally close it, you can type 'join #dman' without the ' in the status window to join the channel,

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Irc4

6) You're in! Here's what you should see:

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Irc5

Any problems or questions, please just post!

Last edited by Smaz on Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Empty Re: IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Dude! If we're gonna stick with text-based stuff, wouldn't the chat above suffice?

Or...i think "think" we maybe able to use IRC in the chat port. Not too sure, but will take a look.

On another note....can anyone find that thread where that guy wanted those drum beats?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client Empty Re: IRC Chat channel! Update: Web based IRC client

Post  mts Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:07 pm

At least i am going to keep that irc channel up. I have irc up anyhow 24/7 so one more channel dosnt really matter. Smile
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Sweet!

Well, weekdays are out for me, as i work... Sad

Sundays are very good though.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:57 pm

I'll try make it on for a bit
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Dude! If we're gonna stick with text-based stuff, wouldn't the chat above suffice?

Or...i think "think" we maybe able to use IRC in the chat port. Not too sure, but will take a look.

On another note....can anyone find that thread where that guy wanted those drum beats?

are those beats going to be available to everyone?
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Cheers for the PM, bro.

I was gonna say that I seem to have lost them. But I have figured out that I can make them downloadable from my main site. Only problem is, is that Dman being Dman didn't name them properly, and they are all named "4"...arrggg! Lol, so I may have to just get on and do some more. I'll add it to the evergrowing list! Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Dude! If we're gonna stick with text-based stuff, wouldn't the chat above suffice?

Maybe if we could hook that up to IRC, that would be awesome as it would give people multiple options! Smile

The chat above kinda suffices, but when there's several people on it does tend to get a bit laggy, has disconnected people & dropped messages... I'd hate to think how bad it is for the Australians with their higher pings etc.

IRC is much faster & more responsive. Plus it allows for private messaging, and doesn't disconnect you (well, possibly after hours of inactivity), unlike the chat which after 15 minutes or so logs you out, when you rejoin you can be mid conversation & completely lost. IRC also allows you to save chat logs - pretty much like the archive, but it's in a text file that you can access anytime, and view it all in one go.

Also IRC has sounds, so you can slap users to get their attention - so if we minimise the program, go do something else we'll be notified when someone wants to chat Smile

Sundays could be the other day we meet up for chats? Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 pm

im pingin' 650ms to a london server according to speedtest.net
lol..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:59 pm

IRC sounds like a pretty good idea. I would personally like to see skype or ventrilo cause I have both and not IRC yet.

And BST is 5 hours ahead of me! Which I think works out better cause I'm usually home during the day anyways Smile But yeah I'm a few hours late for the start of the IRC chat lol.

All in all, would be awesome to get skype/ventrilo servers up! I know of a few ventrilo servers we could probably just use if no-one wants to put the monthly charge out. Since of course.. if you just use a free channel it's like 8 people max.
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 pm

There's 3 of us chatting at the moment, 2 people idle... Room for plenty more!

It's actually been quite active all night, with general banter. It's not too late to join in!

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:38 pm

some good conversation has happened tonight
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  mistawac Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 pm

I was in the wrong server for three hours. I missed most of the good stuff, methinks..
mistawac
mistawac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:33 pm

How did it go guys?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:39 pm

I totally missed it. I forgot how far AHEAD of time I was.. So it was 8.30am when everyone was leaving for me Sad

But I did get the new name Drakonmanlamius7 =P!

lawls
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Bagsy Dmanlamius!

Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm

LOL!

Bagsy.

I just found out IRC wont let the 7 in from character limitatons
=[
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:How did it go guys?

Check the moderators forum... Wink
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:30 pm

I went on at about 7pm... and had to go about 2 minutes after I joined Mad lol!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:46 am

do people still use this??
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:24 am

Spoon wrote:do people still use this??

I don't xuz noone was never in. Suspect
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:
Spoon wrote:do people still use this??

I don't xuz noone was never in. Suspect

well i am still. but yeah ppl were just coming and going..
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah you were always in,and smaz too,and protoplm many times but noone was actually in.I think from now on it should be better to do appointments.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:56 pm

... OR why don't we just use the chatbox again? Laughing
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:02 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:... OR why don't we just use the chatbox again? Laughing

Man use it!never seen you in! king
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down