Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funky Bass Lines

4 posters

Go down

Funky Bass Lines Empty Funky Bass Lines

Post  DOOMFISH Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:42 am

Hey Dman,

Great site u have.

Just a quick question and i do apologise if this has been answered already.
I've just started playin Bass and got used to the finger walkin pretty good. I want to try and learn Jamiroqui type bass lines.
I hate JK he is a little runt but I just love their Bass lines (Runaway)

Now I see the notes are short and sweet and funky. Can you advise how to get this sound using the walking fingers?
I know this sound stupid but on u tube vids it's hard to work out cos of delay etc.

As I stike the string do I need to stop the string vibrating with my other finger so to speak.

Please let me know.

Cheers

DOOMFISH
DOOMFISH
DOOMFISH

Back to top Go down

Funky Bass Lines Empty Re: Funky Bass Lines

Post  Pastichio Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:48 pm

DOOMFISH wrote:Hey Dman,

Great site u have.

Just a quick question and i do apologise if this has been answered already.
I've just started playin Bass and got used to the finger walkin pretty good. I want to try and learn Jamiroqui type bass lines.
I hate JK he is a little runt but I just love their Bass lines (Runaway)

Now I see the notes are short and sweet and funky. Can you advise how to get this sound using the walking fingers?
I know this sound stupid but on u tube vids it's hard to work out cos of delay etc.

As I stike the string do I need to stop the string vibrating with my other finger so to speak.

Please let me know.

Cheers

DOOMFISH

https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/learn-to-play-f6/learn-simple-bass-riffs-if-you-want-me-to-stay-t58.htm

I think the lesson covers what you are trying to achieve. He'll explain himself in more detail in the vid, but essentially what you are trying to do is shorten the length of the note by lifting your fretting finger off the strings after you have struck the note. You don't want the strings to ring out when playing funk, short sharp notes is what you want. Hope this what you were talking about. The song itself is very easy but funky and cool afro
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Hello, Doomfish, and welcome to the forums!

Yes, my man, Pastichio hit the nil on the head there. It's all about shortening the notes as quickly as possible.

Watch that vid he posted, and see if it offers you any understanding. If not, i'll do a vid..
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Funky Bass Lines Empty Got ya!

Post  DOOMFISH Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Yes that looks like it!
Thats the info I've been after for the past day and you guys have just filled in the missing link for me with out any fuss at all.

Wow the power of the internet proves itself again.
Now all I have to do is bust outta work and get home and give this a go!

Many thanks chaps!
Keep up the great work!
DOOMFISH
DOOMFISH

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Don't mention it, everyone here tries to help out when they can. Look through more of Dman's lessons he has quite a few funk orientated lessons to keep you going. Welcome to the forums and hope you stick around, not a bad bunch here. Oh btw, that looks like a nice bass you got there, what is it?
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Funky Bass Lines Empty Cheers!

Post  DOOMFISH Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Cheers man, Yeah I will be sticking around here while I'm learning. After all the browsing on Youtube this seems to be the best site for explaining shit in a down to earth kinda way! So when I'm done a contribution will be made to Mr Dman as a sign of appreciation for getting me moving.

Yeah the Bass is a Peavey Grind 4. I like it! Got it from Geared4music about 4 weeks ago.

Laters mate!
DOOMFISH
DOOMFISH

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Dangit!

I was squinting to see what kind of bass it was. When I had finally settled that it was an Ibanez BTB series, BAM! Its not >.<
Man, Im getting worse at telling what basses are what Razz
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  DOOMFISH Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:24 am

Hi Drakon

I see what you mean that Ibanez range looks simular.

The one I got was more in my price range. I did not want to go for a cheap one but once my playing standards get higher I will kind of honor myself in getting a better one.

But maybe I'm just happy with what I got LOL!
DOOMFISH
DOOMFISH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down