Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef)

+8
Garth
Pastichio
Cliff em' all
ThreeLetterSyndrom
Fuzzy
SuperMaximo93
Drakon7
danthewelshy
12 posters

Go down

Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef) Empty Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef)

Post  danthewelshy Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:10 am

Hey all

Just wondering if anyone can read music fluently? For the last 2/3 weeks i've been working from a book called "simplified sight-reading for bass" & i've just been covering the rythms in the first half of the book. Its helped me alot I must say, so if you are a complete beginner at reading then this is very good as it comes with a cd also with 97 examples!

So again any one a good reader?
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef) Empty Re: Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef)

Post  Drakon7 Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:24 am

not fluently

But before Bass I played keyboards, and sheet music was the only thing yo ucould use, not many tabs. there was a few, like the first song I learnt, Mortal Kombat Theme, it had the whole A A C A D C E D which helped, and yeah.

Im not great, but I can, but not as fluently as those who played piano.. Theyre trippy!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef) Empty Re: Any one read standard notation (Bass Clef)

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:05 pm

I can, but not fluently at all. What I do to improve is whenever I'm learning a song or reading something that includes both bass clef and tab, I read from the clef.
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:13 pm

I haven't really started on any theory yet..
I'll eventually start learning it all, but i'd rather take everything on one part at a time.
I don't wanna suck at both practical and theory and then get discouraged from playing, i'd rather get decent enough at actually playing before i put my learning cap on. Wink
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:02 pm

I can read bass clef. Pianist ftw Very Happy

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:50 pm

I can read clef,but fluently only on low timing.If it gets higher,(80,or 90)i can't do it to well.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm

I can read both treble and clef but very slowly, its like how a child would read a book. I find myself counting the lines to know what note to play lol, so if you put a sheet of music in front of me I wouldn't be able to play it back. I really should brush up on my reading, its not something essential that we should know but it can't hurt to learn either. I can't imagine it being that difficult once you practice enough.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:26 pm

Yes, I know it quite fluently. Been playing bass in music class for years now (learned most in high school though cause my teacher actually likes the bass section, unlike my middle school years)

I think I can help out if anyone has questions on this subject...
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:47 pm

This months issue of Bass Guitar Magazine is actually the start of a series of lessons in learning to read stnadard notation - worth checking out! Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:28 pm

I know the very very basics. I've never had a large amount of use for it. But one of these days I'll buckle down and learn it better.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:41 am

Yea I took a class on music theory and ear training last semester at school. I can read bass and trebel cleff and can even do a bit of rythmic dictation and had training on identifying intervals and things like that. Very useful now that I'm starting to learn to play the bass.
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:I can read bass clef. Pianist ftw Very Happy
yhs same here
playing piano for 8 years does help
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down