Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

N00b mistakes when you started playing

+2
WNx3fed
Virgo
6 posters

Go down

N00b mistakes when you started playing Empty N00b mistakes when you started playing

Post  Virgo Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Come on, don't say you didn't do or think some stupid sh*t when you started out in music. I suppose it doesn't have to be when you started bass. Just when you started any instrument.

I admit, I've done and thought some pretty stupid stuff over the past two years. Let's start:

1) I used to play EVERYTHING with my thumb. I saw Timmy C play like that in Bullet in the Head, and thought it would be a good idea to do that for everything.

2) I used to call the tapping technique "playing your bass/guitar like a keyboard"

3) I bought a distortion pedal from a local music store and left it plugged in 24/7. The battery ran out and I thought I bought a faulty pedal. So I went back to complain and they gave me a new one. This happened three times, I'm not joking. Since then I've been afraid to go back in there after making a complete fool of myself. Oh, the shame. Sad

4) I used to think that you can only pluck with two fingers at a time. If you were playing with one, three or four, you were playing it wrong.

Here's the worst one:

5) When tuning my E string, I thought that if I went to a D sharp, the string would magically drop down an octave to a regular E. In the end, the string broke and no, I wasn't drunk or high.

Wow, I never noticed it before - I'm an idiot. Very Happy

Well luckily I don't do stupid stuff like that anymore. Or at least I hope....

Tell us YOUR mistakes and make me feel less silly Smile
Virgo
Virgo

Back to top Go down

N00b mistakes when you started playing Empty Re: N00b mistakes when you started playing

Post  WNx3fed Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:04 pm

I once did a stupid thing but i blame tiredness ... i bought a new bass ... and forgot to tune it ... and wondered why it sounded dodgey ... I WAS TIRED! Very Happy
WNx3fed
WNx3fed

Back to top Go down

N00b mistakes when you started playing Empty Re: N00b mistakes when you started playing

Post  Protoplm Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Well, yeah we all make mistakes when we first start playing. Most of mine were just technique based though. I never really had a moment where I just wanted to smack myself if memory serves.. nothing that someone just starting would run into.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Well,i didn't even know the notes and when i used a tuner i just wanted the light to turn green...Even though one was C other was G# blah blah. Suspect So the sound it made at the start was like:Toooaoooonnn Embarassed Very Happy
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:38 pm

I had my volume knob way down, so my amp didn't make any sound.
I thought it had to be my cable, so I set out to borrow another.
A few days later, I had one.
No sound.

Only then I thought of turning the volume knob XD

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:47 am

I dont think i've made any notable mistakes yet..
I started watching dman's videos and researching a couple of months before i actually bought my first bass Wink
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down