Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solo Bass!

+3
Cliff em' all
Pastichio
Drakon7
7 posters

Go down

Solo Bass! Empty Solo Bass!

Post  Drakon7 Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:18 am

Disclaimer : It is Solo bass, not bass solo
and the ! was to make up the 10 characters.

Im looking at hints at tips with writing bass only songs. I can make basslines for songs with guitar etc. But I was hoping for some advice on making bass only songs
If not advice, maybe some resources, like a DVD, book or website or something. pref not youtube vids though, cause thats not overly valuable cause its usually people's own way of doing it, and Id rather hear your way of doing it, rather then hearing you tell me someone elses way, if you know what I mean? =/

so yeah..

Any suggestions?
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Solo Bass! Empty Re: Solo Bass!

Post  Pastichio Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Trying playing walking basslines as they are more melodic in structure than your standard riff/groove oriented bassline. The Beatles were great for this kind of thing, Paul McCartney played some really melodic bass lines. By playing a melodic bassline you are moving the focus of the melody to the bass. I understand you played keyboards before? So I will assume you know chords and chord progressions etc, so perhaps you could come up with a chord progression using simple triad chords, say start with a simple 4 chord progression, then pick notes out of each chord to form your melody. You could then try inverting chords, taking the notes of CMajor for example CEG, and play ECG or combinations and variations of these notes and then try and make them lead into the next chord. This is what I do anyway, and I write drum and bass and the bassline is used as the focus point of my songs, hope this helps in some way.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:12 pm

Well,i'd use a lot of chords,tapping,fills,Pull offs,and stuff that make a simple riff sound wonderful and melodic but at the same time so chuggy silent and groovy. Smile I will come up with more advice later.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  androssie Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 pm

O_o you can make that O_O
i wanna learn XD
i really have no idea about it, i should say slides/hammer ons/tapping and SPEEEEED XD
androssie
androssie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:21 pm

I am doing this exact thing with my music these days. A very basic way of putting this is, you have to make sure there is no emptiness. Fill every space with music. EXAMPLE: If you are trying to play say...a skynard song bass only, you will have a lot of empty space where guitar, drums and vocals would normally be. In addition, bass lines like that are absolutely NOT standalone bass lines. They are just supplying low-end. If you're doing solo, you must supply the rhythm as well as the melody, and skill level permitting, percussion also. Remember, It's ENTIRELY up to you to make sure the audience doesn't get bored. NO EMPTY SPACES unless it's artistically necessary. It's most certainly a struggle to accomplish all of this, but practice. I'll upload some of my solo stuff soon so you can see my approach to solo bass.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Yeah DTL, thatd be awesome.

Yeah, Ive seen alot of solo stuff on youtube and that, that best one I ever saw was that one with the busker, has like, 10 million views or something, amazing. I get the gist of what it MAYBE should sound like, but Id love to see your approach to it!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:29 am

It's very rough, but this is just an example
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:46 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:It's very rough, but this is just an example

nice
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:01 am

Dropthelines585 wrote:It's very rough, but this is just an example

That was a pleasure to listen to man
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Or you can go this route
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:39 pm

lol, my cam is out of focus and i look fat lol!
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Or you can go this route

5 starred Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatgoogle Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Get a loop pedal, seriously man.

I struggled to come up with decent solo bass tunes, but now that i can hold down a solid core underneath and move around, change the structures very easily. It makes it alot easier to flow.

Fatgoogle

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:28 pm

I was thinking about that last night actually.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down