Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

whats a good bass for a beginner??

+13
DubHertz
Nocturnal_Pulse
CharlieB
Drakon7
Pippynip
Stryfer
Rushfan30
Fuzzy
Guzco
willba
SuperMaximo93
BlackF89
slipknott62
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 Empty Re: whats a good bass for a beginner??

Post  CharlieB Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 am

Personaly id advise buying a pack. There is a brilliant offer at the moment selling a Squier by Fender Affinity J-Bass & Rumble 15 Amp for just under £200. Although for best results, just go to the shop and find one you like.
CharlieB
CharlieB

Back to top Go down

whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 Empty Re: whats a good bass for a beginner??

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:46 pm

I am a beginner and own a J-Bass by Harley benton - it was the cheaper I could get, I know - but from my past guitar experience I feel that the way you treat an instrument and how you keep it safe its what it makes it worthy...

Ok now please don't fall on me talking bout other basses and if I am sucker lol I might be a loser but hey no money no honey, it's better than nothing ... rabbit
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Guzco wrote:If you want to be really cheap, check out http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

I've heard they are really not bad at all. Check out some videos of those basses on youtube if you want.

I totallt agree withGuzco, just got a SX 5-string jazz lefty really good quality for the money.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:44 pm

$100 basses??????????????
i shudder to think at the poor quality bass that this will yield
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:39 pm

I MUST REITERATE: DO NOT BUY SOMETHING YOU WILL HATE IN SIX MONTHS

Get something you can grow into.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

maxf13 wrote:$100 basses??????????????
i shudder to think at the poor quality bass that this will yield

Initially I was thinking the same as you but after reading some reviews/ youtube videos and forums posts I decided to give them a go. I wanted a squire Deluxe 5 string Jazz but unfortunately they dont do them in left handed so I decided to take the plunge. With the shipping and a hard case it cost around £143.

These basses are not up to MIA standard but have been compared as better than the MIM models ( not my comparison as I have never owned or played a MIM - thats the struggle us lefties face Very Happy )

The neck and body are solid and weighty (solid alder body with maple neck and rosewood fretboard) and the bass is well put together. The only things I have done to it is to shield the cavities as I absolutely hate buzz of any kind. I also changed the string tree that came with it. Apart from that Its fine for what I do. Some five string players may find it difficult to get used to the narrow string spacing on this one but after a couple of hours I was fine. Oh yeah I also changed the strings (standard procedure with far east instruments). Truss rod was set perfectly but because I play quite softly I lowered the action slightly. I forgot to mention that even at the low price of $99 the neck is fitted with 2 graphite rods for stability and has a dual action truss rod.

PS - I am in no way affiliated with SX guitars or Rondomusic LOL

[img]whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_2213[/img]

[img]whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_2214[/img]

[img]whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_2215[/img]

[img]whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_2216[/img]
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  manny188 Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:21 am

I also have an SX and I have to say that with a proper tuning this becomes better than MIM great low action, powerful pickups, the only bad things I found was the neck tint, kind of ugly and sticky. I stripped mine and finished it with tung oil, really great satin finish and very fast also looks kind of vintage. Strung it with D' addario chromes and man I really love the tone I get specially bridge pickup solo. Good stock product and great if you put a little effort onto it and some upgrades. I will be posting pictures of it and will se If I can post a sound clip for you to comment on the tone.

By the way great looking fiver, love that burst. It will look awesome with a black pg.
manny188
manny188

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:49 am

manny188 wrote:I also have an SX and I have to say that with a proper tuning this becomes better than MIM great low action, powerful pickups, the only bad things I found was the neck tint, kind of ugly and sticky. I stripped mine and finished it with tung oil, really great satin finish and very fast also looks kind of vintage. Strung it with D' addario chromes and man I really love the tone I get specially bridge pickup solo. Good stock product and great if you put a little effort onto it and some upgrades. I will be posting pictures of it and will se If I can post a sound clip for you to comment on the tone.

By the way great looking fiver, love that burst. It will look awesome with a black pg.

Thanks Manny and you are right, I have a black pickguard to go on it, just havent got round to filing it to make it fit. I got used to the neck tint but I hear ya it does cover up the natural beauty of the maple. Cant wait to see the pics of the neck.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey Manny hurry up with the Pics ...lol

Just got my D'Addario Chromes, had to drill out the bridge for the B string but they sound really good, its the first time I have tried flatwound strings (no finger noise Smile). They sound and feel much better that halfwounds. I will try to do a soundclip.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Rik Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 pm

D**n, Im still waiting for my Ibanez jumpstart set to arrive in the mail ( ordered prior to the holidays but store is out of stock , shouldn't be long now though ) .I read some reviews on the those SX basses and they were all favorable ( all agreed the paint finish was abysmal though ) .

Rik

Back to top Go down

Post  manny188 Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

Man sorry I took so long I forgot and had not been around here for a while. But better late than ever, here are the photos some with the old tint and some stripped for you to compare. If you stripped it and do not put any tint on, it looks pretty white pure maple.

I went with chromes too and had to drill the bridge too to fit the E string, but its worth it sounds beautiful. Now Im thinking of changing the PG to vintage cream pearloid or maybe mint green IDK maybe some opinions from you will help.
whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_1556
whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_1558
whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_1551
whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 100_1552

PS: It isnt too clear the difference in the pics but for those who has seen the orange tint on SX's know that its pretty orange. Lets see if I can take some better pics.
manny188
manny188

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:29 am

Hi Manny nice pics ....I reckon it would look cool with a black pickguard like this and ashtrays

[img]whats a good bass for a beginner?? - Page 2 10063110[/img]
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2