Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I love playing Bass guitar. Why do you....?

+15
GRATEFULDID
Dylan hergs
stickiler
Drakon7
Guzco
mts
Stryfer
Some freaky guy
Blackdragon
Cliff em' all
Smaz
Rushfan30
BlackF89
SuperMaximo93
Dmanlamius
19 posters

Go down

I love playing Bass guitar.  Why do you....? Empty I love playing Bass guitar. Why do you....?

Post  Dmanlamius Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:55 pm

New post at my blog!

Check it out, and give me your thoughts...

http://learnbass.net/wordpress/2009/11/why-i-love-playing-bass-why-do-you/

cheers
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

I love playing Bass guitar.  Why do you....? Empty Re: I love playing Bass guitar. Why do you....?

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Nice! I find that my guitarist wants me to do whatever I feel like as long as it fits, lol (sometimes even encouraging me to do more or use slap, etc more lol!)

I love playing bass because I enjoy it. I dunno why I enjoy it, I just do Razz Maybe its playing my favourite songs, or the sense of achievement when you finally 'get' something, or being able to have fun making music with others, or the rush you get when that bass/amp/effect arrives in the mail and you play it loads, or 9001 other things. Or all of them at once...
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

I love playing Bass guitar.  Why do you....? Empty Re: I love playing Bass guitar. Why do you....?

Post  BlackF89 Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm

I always preferred the tone of the bass over guitar and all the guitarist I knew when I first got into bass where showboating guys, not my cup of tea. I like the idea of being able to solo and take front and center stage but also being able to just settle into the groove Smile

I love complex rhythms so it was always either drums or bass and bass seemed to be the instrument for me, I do really regret not picking it up sooner.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Because I love the low end! I'm not sure why I do, I just love the tone of bass instruments. Plus bass is just so much fun to play. It is so versatile, and has so many new techniques being "perfected". Plus the grooves,walking lines, crazy stuff, and other awesome types of styles just make the bass sing. I love the tone and feel of playing bass, nothing else like it really.
Plus there's the classic saying " Girls don't dance to a guitar". Razz
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Because I'm not allowed a drum kit in the house.

Crying or Very sad
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:41 pm

I love because i like everything about it.It's probably one of the most versatile instruments out there.It helps you create things.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Smaz wrote:Because I'm not allowed a drum kit in the house.

Crying or Very sad
Get an electric one dude
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackdragon Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 pm

when i was 12 my brother and i went to a local battle of the bands - and i had the pleasure of hearing a great bass solo, then i just fell in love with the sound.
(now, this was years ago... and i had some issues getting started along the way... i ended up getting a bass and useing my money from work to get everything i needed wihout telling my parents.)
Blackdragon
Blackdragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:59 pm

I love playing bass because it's so unmainstream. About 35 of the 60 people in my grade is trying to learn or is playing guitar. There's a few on keyboard/piano (left-handed or girls Razz), a couple of drummers, even fewer singers and ONE bassist. Me. It's different, and I like it. And the sound of a bass is WAY cooler than the sound of a guitar.
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:29 pm

First reason was that I liked the idea of being different. There's millions of guitarists today, but so few people notice the bass.
Then I saw some guy playing the bass, he just looked awesome with it! He let me try it out and when I plucked that low E for the first time - magic!

Today I love it because I feel so free on the instrument. Yea, there's slap, there's tap, but there's so much more! You can play it however you want and it'll sound good. As Flea said "I could take my shoe and bang it on the bass if I wanted to". Unlike guitarists who use the floyd rose system, or drummers who get a different drum for everything they need, we don't rely on new equipment - only the skill in our hands and our imagination.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Cause it if different thing from playing guitar. Love both tho.
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:15 am

Simply put, I like playing with my fingers more than using a pick; I find it more fun to play. I like to create my own music so the fact that the bass often takes a back seat to the guitar doesn't matter to me. All that matters is what I think sounds good for myself.

Also, it's cool just to be different from "just another guitar player."
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:32 am

For me, it was that great tone, the using of your fingers, makes the music so much more.. you.

And Ive always been an underdog kinda guy XD
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  stickiler Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:51 am

well for me it was a couple of different things, i started playing because my mate was in a band, and the bassist they had was crap, never showed up for practice, when he did, he spent the whole practice flirting with my mate, the guitarists, girlfriend, so he asked me to learn bass and play in the band for them, then i discovered flea and his solo's, which got me totally hooked on pop and slap, then i figured out that slapping the bass was really good for releasing frustration, and now i LOVE my bass lol.

stickiler

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan hergs Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:46 pm

i love playing bass because of the image, u can be anything you want, lead guitarest normally have to be cool, bass dude are more like, wow check out the bass player whats he doing =) i love it, and the bass can sounds so many differnt ways which is awesome and like u said its evolving so fast.
bass for life!!!!
Dylan hergs
Dylan hergs

Back to top Go down

I love playing Bass guitar.  Why do you....? Empty WHY I LOVE PLAYN BASS?

Post  GRATEFULDID Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Ever since i was young I always loved music wanted to play an instrument.my favorite bands were/are the grateful dead, disco biscuits, primus, chili peppers...mostly jam bands.But alot of bass influenced music.All those bands have great bass players and all had a part in my influence to play bass.les claypol is god of bass i think.His style is like no other.My style evolved from all those different styles to sound like a funky upbeat groove jam.atleast thats what i shot for.I love playing the bass cause i can get my groove on and just be happy.Theres nothin better than that! jam on!

GRATEFULDID

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:30 pm

GRATEFULDID wrote:Ever since i was young I always loved music wanted to play an instrument.my favorite bands were/are the grateful dead, disco biscuits, primus, chili peppers...mostly jam bands.But alot of bass influenced music.All those bands have great bass players and all had a part in my influence to play bass.les claypol is god of bass i think.His style is like no other.My style evolved from all those different styles to sound like a funky upbeat groove jam.atleast thats what i shot for.I love playing the bass cause i can get my groove on and just be happy.Theres nothin better than that! jam on!

*cough* <--- Clicky-clicky :3

Welcome, btw Smile
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:19 pm

I love playing bass because I like standing beside the drummer and not being noticed, even though people are not dancing to the guitar.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:59 pm

1. Bass chicks are hot.
2. Its the best part of a song.
3. I like to feeeeel the music when I play XD
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Some freaky guy Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:52 pm

akyra wrote:1. Bass chicks are hot.

I think you feeeeel the dums more than you feeeeel the bass in the music. Have you ever been to a big gig and feeeeelt it?
Some freaky guy
Some freaky guy
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Some freaky guy wrote:
akyra wrote:1. Bass chicks are hot.

I think you feeeeel the dums more than you feeeeel the bass in the music. Have you ever been to a big gig and feeeeelt it?

Not Feeeelt it at a big gig but felt it at a big gig

at a small gig I have feeelt it as only the vocals and bass were going through massive PA speakers
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:36 pm

I know what you mean..
I was talking more when I'm playing away myself Razz
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Well then just get some massive PA speakers and keep everyone awake for all eternity.

then get a ASBO
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  FranR Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:25 am

When I played on a loaned bass I had some fun but it was not all good. The bass was difficult to play because of it's high action; and it was HEAVY - it had some plastic coating over its body. Some parts I did enjoy was the sound; the low sound coming out of that speaker; the sound that you could feel right in your belly. That's what made me love playing bass.

The sound, and somehow whenever I play, I smile ... I smile and I move to the rhythm.

Well me being short on money I just stuck with it and planned to get my own as soon as I could. When I popped a string during a gig (and no spares), I choose that moment to get my own.

And what a difference that made. In the music store I found a bass I loved, the perfect bass for me. It was the Schecter Custom 4 hooked up to the Hartke studio 120 - and I was in heaven. I've never had an experience quite like it.

Even when I got home I had trouble putting it away. I just kept picking it up and play some more. Sometimes till the wee hours.

Now even when I do some excercises on the bass I often find myself drifting away while practizing and suddenly play something entirely different. I don't know, I just listen to the clicks of the metronome and the sounds of my bass; and at times I just slip away into a groove.

So I love the bass, because of how it makes me feel; and how I'm able to share what I feel with others through the groove I play; making others happy.

One of my greater memories was when we had a farewel service for one of our band members who passed away long before his time; and after we played, his parents came to me and thanked me, personally, for my tribute to their son. His smile on that sad day is something I will cherish for the rest of my life.

So, that's why I love bass.
FranR
FranR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down