Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So, Dman. What are you doing to make me a better bass player!?

+3
LukeGingerKennett
Nuck81
Dmanlamius
7 posters

Go down

So, Dman.  What are you doing to make me a better bass player!? Empty So, Dman. What are you doing to make me a better bass player!?

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:20 am

Well. Good question!

Right now, I am creating a riff for the 8th in the cool Funk series. Problem is: When I pick up my bass, I start writing new songs. Eeek! Anyhow, this will be here soon hopefully.

Secondly, i've started work on creating loads and loads of beats for you guys to play along to, to work your timing. I kinda figured this would be more fun than a metronome.

Thirdly, i'm planning a short vid on getting a good slap and pop setting on your bass/amp.

Oh, and i'm working on the t-shirt's! Not relevant, but I thought i'd add it...
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

So, Dman.  What are you doing to make me a better bass player!? Empty Re: So, Dman. What are you doing to make me a better bass player!?

Post  Nuck81 Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:51 pm

something that I haven't been able to find that you can probably help me.

I play a lot of acoustic and some chords like Bminor and F major it's easier to just Barre it out and use the power chord, in a pinch you can just move the barre uo and down the fret board to give yourself quick access to every chord. I haven't been able to figure out if bass has the same pattern. I know normal Power chord fingerings work if you root from the E string, but what I;m really interested in is minor chords.

Does this question even make sense? lol
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

So, Dman.  What are you doing to make me a better bass player!? Empty Re: So, Dman. What are you doing to make me a better bass player!?

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Hey man...

Yea, it's all the same. Guitar is tuned EADGBE.

We are the same, without the last two strings. So all chords work the same way.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuck81 Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:06 pm

yeah but lets say I'm making an A minor chord on acoustic

I've got an open E, open A, an E on the D string, A on the G string, a C natural on the B string and an open E. It's the C natural that makes the chord minor but I don't have a B string on my bass. Follow?

I;m looking for that lazy catch all fingering pattern for a minor chord that I can move up and down the board really Smile And for all I know there may not be one
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Nuck81 wrote:yeah but lets say I'm making an A minor chord on acoustic

I've got an open E, open A, an E on the D string, A on the G string, a C natural on the B string and an open E. It's the C natural that makes the chord minor but I don't have a B string on my bass. Follow?

I;m looking for that lazy catch all fingering pattern for a minor chord that I can move up and down the board really Smile And for all I know there may not be one

I think I see what you're saying, yea.

When I transposed Scoobys song onto bass from guitar, I had to re-create notes from the whole chords I was doing. Sometimes I didn't have to and got away with it, but other times all i did was tap the "missing" note higher up the board. I just transposed the last part of the chord with the tap. Does that make any sense?
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuck81 Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:31 pm

yeah, thanks!!!

Guess I'll just have to break down and learn my bass chords study
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Nuck81 wrote:yeah, thanks!!!

Guess I'll just have to break down and learn my bass chords study

Yea, once you have a good understanding of the board, and where every note is, it becomes a lot easier.

It's then just a case of finding those last notes, and adding them. Different way of playing a chord, but still the same principle, musically... Smile
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuck81 Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:06 am

So I figured it out.

if you make the A minor fingering while barreing the fret you base on you can get any minor chord that you rool off the E string Fret. Take off the D string finger and you get the major chord based off that fret. Now to build the hand strength to Barre on a Bass!!

And yes, I realize this makes as much sense if I had writtten in it in kujomafian. Vodka is a bitch lol
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

Post  LukeGingerKennett Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Well. Good question!

Right now, I am creating a riff for the 8th in the cool Funk series. Problem is: When I pick up my bass, I start writing new songs. Eeek! Anyhow, this will be here soon hopefully.

Secondly, i've started work on creating loads and loads of beats for you guys to play along to, to work your timing. I kinda figured this would be more fun than a metronome.

Thirdly, i'm planning a short vid on getting a good slap and pop setting on your bass/amp.

Oh, and i'm working on the t-shirt's! Not relevant, but I thought i'd add it...
Where will said beats be uploaded? I'm intrigued...
LukeGingerKennett
LukeGingerKennett

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:35 pm

Ello, Luke.

At my site.

I'm doing different ones in different signatures so I can explain the signature at the same time...
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  LukeGingerKennett Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:Ello, Luke.

At my site.

I'm doing different ones in different signatures so I can explain the signature at the same time...
Sweet, jamming to beats will give me something to do while i'm not in a band.
LukeGingerKennett
LukeGingerKennett

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:04 pm

A quicker 3/4 swing added, plus a rocky 4/4.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephyr Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:20 am

Dmanlamius wrote:

This would be great. I'm having troubles getting slap & Pop even remotely sounding decent. Would be nice to know I have everything right, so I know the only thing wrong is my technique, and can correct it from there.
Zephyr
Zephyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Two more 4/4's at different tempos.

One Latin, one relaxed.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WNx3fed Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Il have to check the new beats out Very Happy you should just include that as a little note on your next video.
WNx3fed
WNx3fed

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:36 pm

Zephyr wrote:
Dmanlamius wrote:

This would be great. I'm having troubles getting slap & Pop even remotely sounding decent. Would be nice to know I have everything right, so I know the only thing wrong is my technique, and can correct it from there.

i just turn my my treble and mid up and my bass down a bit
if u have a presence knob on ur amp then turn that up as well

my bass has a p-jazz configuration so i turn of the precision pickup completly and just use the jazz pickup
im not sure if thats the proper way but it sounds cool to me afro
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down