Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multieffect pedals

+4
danthewelshy
Pastichio
SuperMaximo93
Cliff em' all
8 posters

Go down

Multieffect pedals Empty Multieffect pedals

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Ok so i am planning,on bying a pedal but i don't know what to exactly do.The 2 basic effects i want to use is distortion and overdrive.
And i also want multieffects for any kind of strange things,that come up into my mind.But every multieffect i see,it has chorus,tremolo.It doesn't say it has distortion and overdrive.Secondly is there actually a pedal that includes these two effects in one?
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Multieffect pedals Empty Re: Multieffect pedals

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Well distortion and overdrive (and fuzz) are the same thing, just different amounts. It just makes the wave of the sound a bit 'square'.

Multieffect pedals F_clip

More clipping, more distortion... So basically if you get a pedal that says 'distortion' on it you'll probably be able to get both overdrive and distortion on it. You may be able to get a fuzz sound too. I don't know what pedal you should get though as I like fuzz. Check out good brands like Boss or Electro Harmonix or whatever.

As for multieffects, something like a Boss ME-50B or a Korg AX3000B will have all the effects you might ever need and will have different distortions on them
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:56 pm

If you have the cash I'd go with a multi effects unit. Although if your just looking for distortion/overdrive then just get one pedal as you will know that pedal inside out rather than fecking around with a load of effects you may never use. Distortion and overdrive are pretty much the same thing, the end result is a distorted signal. However, overdrive pedals try to emulate the effect of overdriving a tube amplifier. Think Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc where as a a distortion pedal creates a harder tone, like Metallica, Slayer that kind of thing. Chorus pedals don't work like distortion pedals at all, they take the audio signal and mix it with one or more delayed, pitch-modulated copies of itself. The pitch modulation is like de tuning the singal by a few cents, not enough to make the instrument sound out of tune, if that makes sense lol.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:08 am

I'm between these two:

Multieffect pedals 13726511

Multieffect pedals 70910311
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 am

get something 2nd at a cheapish price. Belive me most multi-effects are no good in band situations as I have found out recently, but they are worth getting to see what you actually like.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 am

I think I agree with the statement about getting a multi effects pedal before getting multiple effect thingys because you can find out what you like. I got this digitech bp 90 for like 100 dollars and it has wah compressors noise gates chorus mod delay reverb and expression things to tinker with along with a metronome (Plus drum beats) and tuner which can come in handy... But I wouldn't use it for live stuff or anything...
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:54 am

IGotYourDoughnut wrote:I think I agree with the statement about getting a multi effects pedal before getting multiple effect thingys because you can find out what you like. I got this digitech bp 90 for like 100 dollars and it has wah compressors noise gates chorus mod delay reverb and expression things to tinker with along with a metronome (Plus drum beats) and tuner which can come in handy... But I wouldn't use it for live stuff or anything...

Hey i don't even have a live yet:p

Just want it to do fun stuf at home!And maybe use outside one day.But effects can transform a very simple rif into a gret and addictive riff
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:02 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:
IGotYourDoughnut wrote:I think I agree with the statement about getting a multi effects pedal before getting multiple effect thingys because you can find out what you like. I got this digitech bp 90 for like 100 dollars and it has wah compressors noise gates chorus mod delay reverb and expression things to tinker with along with a metronome (Plus drum beats) and tuner which can come in handy... But I wouldn't use it for live stuff or anything...

Just want it to do fun stuf at home!And maybe use outside one day.But effects can transform a very simple rif into a gret and addictive riff

Have you looked into guitar rig yet? http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-kontrol-edition/ I don't have the Rig Kontrol just the software. Its pretty good, I use it a lot for recording, their amp sims are pretty good and lots of effects to play around with. Its got plenty in there for bassists.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Pastichio wrote:
Cliff em' all wrote:

Have you looked into guitar rig yet? http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/guitar/guitar-rig-kontrol-edition/ I don't have the Rig Kontrol just the software. Its pretty good, I use it a lot for recording, their amp sims are pretty good and lots of effects to play around with. Its got plenty in there for bassists.

I don't really play live yet either...

I think I am going to have to look into this as well. It looks neat.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:27 pm

I've got the Boss ME-50B, I use it in all my recordings. It's great - easy to use, several effects. You can have up to 3 going at once - filter/tone (wah, ocatve up/down, boosters), drive/synth (overdrive,distortion & synth) and delay/modulation (phaser, chorus, reverb, delay etc). Only thing I don't like about it is there are no drum loops or anything, although you can set a metronome/kick drum off using the expression pedal.
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Smaz wrote:I've got the Boss ME-50B, I use it in all my recordings. It's great - easy to use, several effects. You can have up to 3 going at once - filter/tone (wah, ocatve up/down, boosters), drive/synth (overdrive,distortion & synth) and delay/modulation (phaser, chorus, reverb, delay etc). Only thing I don't like about it is there are no drum loops or anything, although you can set a metronome/kick drum off using the expression pedal.

The ups that make me want to buy the pandora is the usb interface,drum loops,metronome,and thousands of effects it has,but is it actually considered a pedal? Laughing
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:19 pm

Cliff em' all wrote:The ups that make me want to buy the pandora is the usb interface,drum loops,metronome,and thousands of effects it has,but is it actually considered a pedal? Laughing

Definitely not a pedal... You can't control it with your feet! (unless you're a monkey or something, or like Dman with finger toes). I reckon getting the Pandora would be really useful, but when you're in a band situation you'll want to get some pedals of the effects you like.

Alternatively just get a cheap multieffects to flog later so you can see what effects you like as said before. I did that (except the difference was that I didn't expect to sell my Korg Laughing). Now that I've got some individual pedals of the effects I like (still waiting for my Boss phaser to arrive though, dammit! Phasers are even cooler than the envelope filter and synth sounds of my EHX Enigma (which is awesome Smile )!!), I've found that I have more flexibility with how the effects interact with each other and a better sound.
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:11 pm

The Pandora is a multi FX unit, not pedal Wink It could possibly be used live, but I think it would be limited without the pedals/foot switches unlike the ME-50B. If I had the choice, I guess I'd rather try a pandora, as I like the drum loop idea + USB interface... But it depends on what you're after Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  general lee Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Pastichio wrote:
Cliff em' all wrote:

I use Guitar Rig too, and I'm quite satisfied with in.
general lee
general lee

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:52 pm

I've olny been playing for a year now, so I don't totally understand the deal with all the equipment and such... What are the advantages of using multiple pedals and such to add distortion and different effects to your bass over just getting a multieffect pedal? I've noticed live that everyone uses like 5-6 idividual pedals connected together to add distortion and don't see why they do tha over buying just a multi effect thing.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:38 pm

IGotYourDoughnut wrote:I've olny been playing for a year now, so I don't totally understand the deal with all the equipment and such... What are the advantages of using multiple pedals and such to add distortion and different effects to your bass over just getting a multieffect pedal? I've noticed live that everyone uses like 5-6 idividual pedals connected together to add distortion and don't see why they do tha over buying just a multi effect thing.

Individual effects usually sound better than and are more versatile than multieffects. Plus a lot of multieffects have a limit on the number of effects or don't allow certain combinations (e.g. if a board says it can have 1 effect from each group at a time on and you want to combine effects from the same group). Also individual pedals may sound different from each other even if they are the same effect (as however much you tweak the settings on a pedal they all have their own character), so you may need 1 effect for a number of songs but might need the sound to be different. With a multieffects you get what you're given.
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  blazed0wayz Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:58 pm

hey i was wonder if anyone knows how to work guitar rig 3 i got the program and when i connect my guitar to my laptop on board sound card i get a loud ringing in the program and i cant hear anything coming from my guitar... was wondering if its my sound card (maybe need a better one), or im just not setting the program up right any help would be great
blazed0wayz
blazed0wayz

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:26 pm

blazed0wayz wrote:hey i was wonder if anyone knows how to work guitar rig 3 i got the program and when i connect my guitar to my laptop on board sound card i get a loud ringing in the program and i cant hear anything coming from my guitar... was wondering if its my sound card (maybe need a better one), or im just not setting the program up right any help would be great

if its just the on board card then that's probably the problem. You need a sound card with an instrument input, this is different to a standard input as the signal from your guitar is unbalanced and causes noise to appear on the signal, with an instrument input it balances the signal without the need for a DI box. You will need to get a external sound card with instrument inputs. You can pick them up pretty cheap if you shop around, Creative do some cheap ones and you may want to check out M Audio and Focusrite. If you are still having problems ask here and I'll try help you out.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  blazed0wayz Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:37 pm

ok i was doing some research on this and i found this M Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface with Microphone Preamp wondering if this will work and if it would work with the guitar rig 3 program as well the link i found this at is http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MII-MOBILEPRE-LIST sorry to be a pain here but im new to this recording thing and just want to get the right thing so its not a big hassle and makes me wanna give up
blazed0wayz
blazed0wayz

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 am

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
IGotYourDoughnut wrote:I've olny been playing for a year now, so I don't totally understand the deal with all the equipment and such... What are the advantages of using multiple pedals and such to add distortion and different effects to your bass over just getting a multieffect pedal? I've noticed live that everyone uses like 5-6 idividual pedals connected together to add distortion and don't see why they do tha over buying just a multi effect thing.

Individual effects usually sound better than and are more versatile than multieffects. Plus a lot of multieffects have a limit on the number of effects or don't allow certain combinations (e.g. if a board says it can have 1 effect from each group at a time on and you want to combine effects from the same group). Also individual pedals may sound different from each other even if they are the same effect (as however much you tweak the settings on a pedal they all have their own character), so you may need 1 effect for a number of songs but might need the sound to be different. With a multieffects you get what you're given.

Oh ok that makes more sence. so basically reasearching and buying like 4 different individual pedals for like 500 dollars is more worth the money than buying a 500 dollar multi effects pedal.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 pm

blazed0wayz wrote:ok i was doing some research on this and i found this M Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface with Microphone Preamp wondering if this will work and if it would work with the guitar rig 3 program as well the link i found this at is http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MII-MOBILEPRE-LIST sorry to be a pain here but im new to this recording thing and just want to get the right thing so its not a big hassle and makes me wanna give up

you are not being a pain, glad to help. Yea that should do the trick. When you instal it all you will have to do is click file in guitar rig select audio and MIDI settings and select the inputs and outputs of the soundcard.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down