Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone ever bother sweep picking?

+3
Drakon7
Garth
IGotYourDoughnut
7 posters

Go down

Anyone ever bother sweep picking? Empty Anyone ever bother sweep picking?

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Have any of you guys ever tried sweep picking on bass? I think it would be a cool concept to learn on bass. I have the general idea down but dont entirely know how to do a successful sweep... any sugestions?
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever bother sweep picking? Empty Re: Anyone ever bother sweep picking?

Post  Garth Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 am

It does seem like a sweet concept, but imho... tapping is much more effective on the bass.

I mean when I try... it just doesn't feel right. I don't know how to explain it really Razz
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:17 am

I have no problem with tapping really I just kinda wanted to learn how to sweep pick. Is it akward as in like harder to do on bass then guitar or just akward because it is haha? If that makes any sence...
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 am

I would like to learn..

Idea! To the suggestion part!
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:01 am

Well I mean just try and sweep on a guitar then on your bass. I can't really sweep, but I can see how it's done, and just trying on a guitar is much easier then the bass. I think it's just cause the gap between the strings is much larger and the strings themselves are much thicker.

You can easily try this by going really slowly... sweeping up and down again and just try on both a guitar and bass. Make up w/e, just meant to get the feel xD
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 am

I'll give sweep picking a try on guitar first. I dunno if its weird or anything but its seems that before I learn anything on guitar I tune my bass to dgbe (weird but...) and learn the higher pitched parts of the song there then tune it back to eadg (or dadg if the song is drop d) and laern the lower notes there so i guess this gives me some new way to practice as well. Thanks for the help! now i just have to figure out how to play it correctly slow Wink as for moving this post to suggestions... I have absolutly no clue how to do that I'm kind of new to the forums... I made an account a while ago I just havnt bothered using it Wink
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:23 am

Not moving the whole thing, only mods can do that

I posted in suggestions, though
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Oh ok I gotcha. I will go check that out right now then. Its not like I'm doing anything anyways... I'm stuck in a collage buildings basement for a few hours...
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Sweep picking on a guitar is difficult to learn. The fluidity is everything. With a bass, you're probably better off normally picking it due to the gaps between the strings.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 pm

I dunno, I think the main reason I wanted to learn was because I saw Chickenfoot live and during the outro to their rendition of Highway Star by Deep Purple Michael Anthony started going crazy sweep picking on his bass, I just kinda wanted to hear what others thought of it.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 am

IGotYourDoughnut wrote:I dunno, I think the main reason I wanted to learn was because I saw Chickenfoot live and during the outro to their rendition of Highway Star by Deep Purple Michael Anthony started going crazy sweep picking on his bass, I just kinda wanted to hear what others thought of it.

I'm actually listening to Chickenfoot right now! How good were they live?
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:18 pm

They are the best band I can remember seeing live (I saw Van Halen in like 1994 but I was born in 1991 so I obviously don't remember it) But I mean, I've seen alot of cool bands live. When I saw Chickenfoot the show seemed fairly centered around Chad Smith. Sammy Hagar still has the Red Rocker "R" microphone stand. The celing was lighted the Chickenfoot emblem. Michael Anthony all of a sudden got rediculously good at bass. Like amazing. Hagar Sounds like gold still. And Joe Satriani looked chill like he and Chad could just play all night not moving a muscle. Chad broke about 300 drum sticks, a tamborine, one of the lighting fixtures, a cymbal, and blew a hole in his bass drum. Him and Satriani had a solo where Satch played drums and Chad played guitar. and Sammy Hagar smashed a guitar. It was amazing. I was drunk on their music. They sounded soo good. Like seriously Hagar sounds just as good on his recordings.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm

I'd love to see them live, I'm loving the album at the moment. It's great to hear Chad breaking out a big Bonham like drum sound.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  stjimmee Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 am

In regards to sweep picking, it might be easier on a piccolo bass?
Or maybe on a bass whith the strings closer together, like six strings tend to have?

I think the general problem with sweep picking being difficult on bass is that the instrument doesn't really lend itself to strumming, which is kind of part of sweep picking (unless I completely misunderstand the technique). That said, bass doesn't really lend itself to shredding but people have managed to do that. Razz
stjimmee
stjimmee

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:24 am

stjimmee wrote:In regards to sweep picking, it might be easier on a piccolo bass?
Or maybe on a bass whith the strings closer together, like six strings tend to have?

I think the general problem with sweep picking being difficult on bass is that the instrument doesn't really lend itself to strumming, which is kind of part of sweep picking (unless I completely misunderstand the technique). That said, bass doesn't really lend itself to shredding but people have managed to do that. Razz

What exactly is a piccoo bass? I've played 6 strings they are pretty sick but I dont like the feel of the necks generally.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  stjimmee Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:30 am

It's generally tuned like a regular bass but one octave higher.
So it'll have thinner strings or a shorter neck.
Jeff Schmidt plays one in this video (albeit left handed and strung backwards Razz):

I reckon it'd be easier to sweep pick on one of those.
I'm not certain whether it's a special type of bass or just a regular one with piccolo strings though.
EDIT: It's also a five string, but you get the idea
Smile
stjimmee
stjimmee

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:32 am

Pastichio wrote:I'd love to see them live, I'm loving the album at the moment. It's great to hear Chad breaking out a big Bonham like drum sound.

I guess the London show he threw all of his drum set in the croud.
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:16 am

I strum on bass, when I feel like it Surprised
Just use a pick, it's not that hard.

Sweeping, on the other hand, is a whole different story xD

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotYourDoughnut Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:05 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:I strum on bass, when I feel like it Surprised
Just use a pick, it's not that hard.

Sweeping, on the other hand, is a whole different story xD

Yah I occasionally strum on a bass to. Unless I feel like playing minor chords...
IGotYourDoughnut
IGotYourDoughnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down