Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten?

+26
uglymutt
caliburn50
Pippynip
Late2bass
Some freaky guy
akyra
Blackdragon
Fuzzy
Stryfer
DubHertz
BassistMcKay
Dylan hergs
Garth
BlackF89
Dropthelines585
MET@LBASS
maxf13
SuperMaximo93
Spoon
WNx3fed
Pastichio
Cliff em' all
ThreeLetterSyndrom
Drakon7
Dmanlamius
Protoplm
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten? Empty What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten?

Post  Protoplm Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 pm

What's that one sentence uttered my someone that resonates through your playing and lives to this day? Mine isn't necessarily bass related, but it can be applied to it.

"Don't be afraid to make an ass of yourself." ~ My brother

Basically was a response to me not being able to get up in front of a class and present or lead something.. after that's taken to heart I'm a joker in front of everyone and I can bet that applies to preforming on stage too!
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten? Empty Re: What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten?

Post  Dmanlamius Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm

The space in-between the notes is as important as the notes themselves.
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten? Empty Re: What was the most useful piece of advice you've ever gotten?

Post  Drakon7 Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:57 am

Mine are often movie lines

Ones that strike me

For the most part, an altered version of The Dark Night "We're all just dogs chasing cars, You wouldnt know what to do once you caught it!"
And its true, too.
With everything, even music
Sure, after playing for 3 weeks we can say "OMFG I WANT A MUSICMAN LIKE DMANS", But youre not gunna really do much with it Razz

And all the rest are mostly Boondock Saints quotes..
The question isn't how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?

Not to mention the Bible, even though I seem to be the only person to have read it >.<

Not to mention Bruce Lee's "No matter how badass you think you are, Theres always the chance youre gunna get a knee to the face.".

Now the music related ones Razz

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski

If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. ~Gustav Mahler

Music is what feelings sound like.

You are the music while the music lasts. ~T.S. Eliot

And lastly

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 am

You can sit here, and rot in misery, but you shouldn't do that. You should fight!

That popped up in my head, but I don't know where I got it from. Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:43 am

Also, The entire speech from Braveheart

Wallace: Sons of Scotland, I am William Wallace.

Young soldier: William Wallace is 7 feet tall.

Wallace: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his arse. I AM William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen here in defiance of tyranny. You have come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What would you do without freedom? Will you fight?

Veteran soldier: Fight? Against that? No, we will run; and we will live.

Wallace: Aye, fight and you may die. Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!

Wallace and Soldiers: Alba gu bra! (Scotland forever!)
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:03 am

Ah, that reminds me of something!

"Abandon your fear. Face forward. Advance. Retreat, and you will age. Be afraid, and you will die."
It was a sword that said that. Still pretty awesome Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:46 am

Make it work lol!
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:51 am

It's alright it happens to most guys. Razz
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  WNx3fed Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:15 pm

... When God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!
I always liked what was on the anime Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann "Don't believe in yourself! Believe in me, who believes in you"
WNx3fed
WNx3fed

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:33 pm

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice... well you get the picture.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:16 pm

"Keep practicing" lol!

and

"Always remember, the Force will be with you..."
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:19 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:

you learnt Bass from the JEDI cool afro
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Spoon wrote:
SuperMaximo93 wrote:

you learnt Bass from the JEDI cool afro

Nah that's just the window cleaner I work for on holidays with his Star Wars toy thing with loads of recorded quotes on it lol!
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:25 pm

cool you have a 9 year old window cleaner afro
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:52 am

Spoon wrote:cool you have a 9 year old window cleaner afro

Nah he's 30 Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:The space in-between the notes is as important as the notes themselves.
lol my music teacher says that like 5 times a lesson
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:26 am

SPIRAL OUT
KEEP GOING- James Maynard Keenan

Thats what get me through the day

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:26 am

All good things in all good time -Jerry Garcia
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:46 am

"When you're afraid to ski down the hill, do it like this: Make one arc after the other, and focus on the arc you're doing, you'll be there in no time."
I went on skiing-holiday and our skiteacher said that pretty often. Thing is, it's also really useful in real life. Afraid? Don't be. Just take small steps.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:59 am

"Don't eat yellow snow" - Dad
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Garth Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:15 pm

BlackF89 wrote:"Don't eat yellow snow" - Dad

I think that's the best advice of all time, specially when you're a Canadian Razz
Garth
Garth

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan hergs Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:22 am

"nothing in life is free, if u want something u have to work for it in some way or another"
and as my dad always said "if ya gana do a job DO IT PROPERLY!"
Dylan hergs
Dylan hergs

Back to top Go down

Post  BassistMcKay Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:09 am

It comes from the strangest place, but has a truly inspiring meaning to it. I underlined my favorite part.

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
–Walt Disney
BassistMcKay
BassistMcKay

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 am

I was told to buy the guitar that felt most comfortable and had the sound that I was looking for - and not buy a guitar because of its brand name or price
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:43 am

Let's see...what did my professor keep saying? Oh yea! 1-2-3-4 2-2-3-4...all the freakin' time.

OK, now for something serious:
Play with passion or don't play at all.
If you make a mistake keep going - no one noticed it anyway.
Be the ball...or in this case the bass.
Live today, you might die tomorrow = Play every note as if it were your last.
Maybe, don't choose the bass and let the bass choose you?

Various other stuff that's been mentioned or I can't think of at the moment.

Oh, oh! If you look confident, you can play gibberish and the audiance will think you're doing it on purpose.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next