Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet another finger walking question

5 posters

Go down

Yet another finger walking question Empty Yet another finger walking question

Post  cbx Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi guys , got my first bass last week and after trawling Youtube i found Dman and you guys, Awsome. Any way i get the finger walking technique and i dont have much of a problem with it , untill i try doing something with my left hand either scales or some easy riff then its like rubbing my stomach and patting my head. Is just practice or am i missing something, its really starting to bug me .

laters

Sean.

cbx

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:49 pm

Hmmm, I cant remember having this. I can see your problem though, must be annoying! Try just tapping the noting with your fretting (left) hand. Gradually introduce your finger walking hand and remember to not start to complicated! With practice it should come naturally pretty soon Very Happy

Good Luck!
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Yet another finger walking question Empty Re: Yet another finger walking question

Post  BlackF89 Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 pm

You can try what Willba said or if that doesn't work just try walking and fretting at the same time but slowly, very slowly if needs be
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:56 pm

Yeah, when I started a few months ago i would stare at my fretting hand while playing ridiculously slow...
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Yet another finger walking question Empty Re: Yet another finger walking question

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:57 am

I don't remember having this problem. I think it was because I played Guitar Hero a lot befor I picked up bass so the left/right hand synchronisation was already there.

Just keep practicing and you'll get it... or play GH Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:33 pm

I played GH too! Cant be that though, I guess it just takes longer for certain people..
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:06 am

I know it's an old post, but just though I'd contribute.
I'm not sure, but it seems your problem is that you don't feel comfertable with your picking hand. Without being used to picking any string in any way at any time, doing scales will require you to keep you're attention on bothhands. This is extremely difficult. Your picking hand needs to be trained well enough that you can pick dead notes on random strings in random patterns while talking to someone.

When I started I put my hand over all the strings and muted them. Just rest your fretting hand on the strings. Then I went through a series of exercises (I think it was Alexi Sklaverskis slap practice, but I did it with my fingers alternating all the time). Without the problem of which notes I'll hit I could focus on my two fingers. These exercises were very elaborate:

First it was picking each string 4 times, of course done with a metronome (or in my case, a drum loop on the PC) to get the timing perfect.
Second it was two picks on E and then two picks on A, repeat and then move on to other strings.
The third part was one pick on E and on A, repeat and move on to other strings.
Later it got more challanging like picking E and D alternatively and so on.

This is actualy a thumb precision exercise, but it helps a lot to get the fingers moving for a beginner. Once you got the hang of these, start doing scales and you'll notice that your hand will move on it's own and follow your freting hand without you even thinking about it.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  willba Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:15 am

I just clicked on this topic after reading your post on the "New and a few issues" thread. More detailed info here ^^ I have already mastered finger walking (I hope) but it was still useful to read so.....yay
willba
willba
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down