Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

back again, with some questions

4 posters

Go down

back again, with some questions Empty back again, with some questions

Post  androssie Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:41 pm

hey guys
wow it has been a long time Embarassed srry about that, i had a busy time on school (didnt do that wel Embarassed)
anyway back again (i hope for longer time this timeXD) bass playing going well , band ehmm dont talk about it XD.
am able to play alot songs, learned to play with 4 fingers (left hand) so my basic, i think, is there.
so now my questions :

1)i m not sure i hold my left hand the right way Embarassed, does it matter if the neck of the bass rest alitte on my hand?

2)ghost notes, i dont understand those Embarassed, how to play them? any exercises ?? i know play the note with out really pushing it, but how can i learn to play them?

3)i cant get the slapping done Sad i tried the exercises from dman, but i got stuck at number one Sad anyone who has a other movie/learning program?

4) a equipement question: the sound of the bass, if i want it to change do i need to buy new strings, new amp or new bass?
(gonna buy a other one eitherway XD and a new amp would be fine to (A))

5) OO and any fun songs, not to hard with out slapping, i can learn ^^?

anyway thanks already, and srry for my long break. i will be back as long i do well at school Embarassed

grtz
androssie What a Face
androssie
androssie

Back to top Go down

back again, with some questions Empty Re: back again, with some questions

Post  Stryfer Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey man! Let's get started Razz

1) I rest the neck on my thumb and it may come into contact with my hand at times. It doesn't really matter, just make sure you can reach across 4 frets on all 4/5/6 strings (depending on how many you have) without too much effort.

2) this was discuessed already in this topic: https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/questions-answered-f2/ghost-notes-and-dead-notes-t1019.htm

3) Why did you get stuck? The biggest problem in slapping is being accurate with the thumb and that is REALLY difficult at the start. Check out his third video, I think he covers accuracy in that one (unless he changed the video name XD). If you don't think the Flea style slap works you could try the more conventional one, which has vid lessons all over youtube. Personally, I found it easier to slap Flea style, because the meaty part of my thumb kept muting the strings in the more conventional one. However, I started out on that one and found it easier to get accurate in the beginning. It's all a matter of preference.

4) All three influence sound. The cheapest way to change your sound is with strings and the change IS noticable. Some are brighter, some are muddier some are sharper, while others are more fuzzy and mellow. If you're looking for a change in sound start from strings. A new bass and amp are expensive and if the ones you have can do their job, dont rush for a change untill you really know what you want.
Also the way you play can influence your sound. Many people forget this and end up buying all the gear of some pro player only to realize there's no way they can achieve the sound because their technique is completely different. On the other hand, some learn the technique of said pro player and get a very similar sound on cheap gear.

5) Again there's a lengthy topic: https://freebasslessons.forumotion.com/general-chat-f3/post-your-favourite-song-learned-past-or-future-t805.htm

Hope this helped Smile

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:42 pm

1) Take a look at this page: http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/fretting/
2) Ghost notes are not played at all or played very softly (use your RIGHT hand!). Some of the others will be able to explain this to you much better.
3) Practice, practice, practice. Start slowly, very slowly, then build up speed.
4) The sound of the bass is most radically changed with an effects unit. Next is the bass, I think. It depends on what kind of sound change you want, really.
5) That would depend on your skill level. Wink

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  androssie Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:10 pm

thx alot ^^ although TLS the link you sent about the hand possion. it will take a while to learn myself that XD learned it wrong :$
(to quick i think :$)
the slapping... i will make some time for it :$ i really like the sounds and the music you can play with it ^^

thx alot guys ^^
androssie
androssie

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:13 pm

ThreeLetterSyndrom wrote:1) Take a look at this page: http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-technique/fretting/
2) Ghost notes are not played at all or played very softly (use your RIGHT hand!). Some of the others will be able to explain this to you much better.
3) Practice, practice, practice. Start slowly, very slowly, then build up speed.
4) The sound of the bass is most radically changed with an effects unit. Next is the bass, I think. It depends on what kind of sound change you want, really.
5) That would depend on your skill level. Wink

+1 to you good sir
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down