Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guitar pro

+8
Stryfer
akyra
maxf13
Dizzae
ThreeLetterSyndrom
BlackF89
KrysH
MET@LBASS
12 posters

Go down

Guitar pro Empty Guitar pro

Post  MET@LBASS Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:11 am

I once had the magical power to read music like a second language, back in the days when I played me some keyboard.
I stop playing, and forgot everything I knew Sad

While its not the most important thing, I would love to be able to read again like I could when I was a young lad, but I was just wondering, who here can read music, and who uses tabs, and who uses (my method) guitar pro?

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Guitar pro Empty Re: Guitar pro

Post  KrysH Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:10 pm

I've just started to use Guitar Pro as my music reading capability is rusty in the extreme.

I'm in the middle of tabbing "Wherever I Lay My Hat" from Paul Young's "No Parlez" album, I found the music notation of the bassline on the internet with it.

It's very good for working in either direction - tab to notation - or - notation to tab.
KrysH
KrysH

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:14 pm

I've just started using gp, it seems to be very useful
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:01 pm

Is this as in Guitar Pro, the music program?

In that case, yes, I use it Very Happy I tried TuxGuitar (which is freeware), but it had too many quirks to be able to properly write music.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzae Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I can't read musical notation (atm) but I love how gp turns everything into a polyphonic ringtone Laughing
It's seriously useful though
Dizzae
Dizzae

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 pm

i can read musical notation well cause i play piano.
however, i cant quickly work out where notes are on the bass so i cant really sight read that well
i kinda use a mixture between tabs gp and ear
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 pm

I use GP only when I cant get the rhythm of a song quite right.... I like how i can turn eveything off and just listen to the bass Smile

Used to be able to read music too but alas those skills died along with my keyboard ones haha.
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 pm

I'll go right out and say it! I was never a capable music reader. The only reading I've ever done was for music class back in elementary school. I've never once read anything in the bass key so forget that.
Never had the patience to learn it either. I just look up the tabs, or most often, guitar pro tabs and work it out.
Either way, no one writes the modern types of music...so reading is slowly becoming pointless.

Guitar Pro is a godly program, especially for writing your own stuff. Although it does have limitations, especially for people who are used to writing music in the classical manner. It has it's fair share of flaws, but as far as modern music goes - it's THE music tool.

I think it would be a million times better if I learn to use my ears, but I'm a long ways away.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:06 am

Yeah, I am also trying to get the whole learn it by ear thing, and sometimes I can get some basic riffs down, but for the most past I can't get it right

Just broke my A string Mad Sad

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:43 am

When i plkayed classical guitar many moons ago.....
I used to be able to read proficiently, i haven't touched it for 10 years so i've forgotten everything (besides it's treble cleff). I can read bass cleff alright, i find complex rhythms really difficult though.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:42 am

I used to use Guitar Pro - it was fantastic at helping to learn things quickly. After I reformatted my PC, I never got round to reinstalling it, but also couldn't really find tabs for the kinda songs I wanted, so I started learning by ear. If I need to learn something quick, or if the bass is too quiet or something, I use tabs if I need to, or alternatively just follow the guitar chords. I can work out sheet music that's in the standard notation, but not when it starts adding the b's or #'s at the begining of the line kinda thing ^^
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:32 pm

yeah key signatures kill it
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 pm

I used to know all that. Amazing what pot can do to your memory.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 pm

maxf13 wrote:yeah key signatures kill it
Key signatures are quite easy, though. Smile You just have to remember to play some notes a fret higher or lower, usually not more than 3.

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm

its rarely less than three tbh
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:59 pm

I'm so used to playing in G major, that i automatically move the F to an F#. Gotta break this habit now.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:01 pm

I use it a loy yeah,just started writing pieces on it though...
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down