Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass!

5 posters

Go down

HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass! Empty HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass!

Post  powerman54227 Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:34 am

i want to learn all the notes on the bass. i just started and i want to learn all the notes on the bass. can anyone help me get started? what should i do first?

powerman54227

Back to top Go down

HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass! Empty Re: HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass!

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:17 am

Everything you'll need can be found here:
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/reading-music/

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass! Empty Re: HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass!

Post  lololiet Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:34 am

you could also try this: http://www.fretboardwarrior.com/basswarrior/BassWarriorDEMOSetup.zip

It's only the demo version and it doesn't have every function the paid version has but it still a handy little program for helping you memorize the notes
lololiet
lololiet
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nocturnal_Pulse Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am

fretboard warrior is great for learning the notes.

BUT!

Just a hint that helped me a lot...

ALWAYS the fifth fret note is the next string if played opened:

On E, the fifth is A
on A, the fifth is D
on D, the fifth is G
and on G the fifth is C.

Every 12th fret is always the same string open

On E, its E
On A, its A
and so on

On the 7th fret, the notes are: B-E-A-D. Sounds familiar? This would be your first four string tuning if you owned a five or six string bass guitar.

Like on the 5th fret when the fifth on G is C. It's very simple to remember!

It would be very handy for you to remember the tuning of a six string bass:

(thickest) B – E – A – D – G – C (thinnest)

LEARN the C major scale:

G|-----------2-4-5--|
D|-----2-3-5--------|
A|-3-5--------------|
E|------------------|

also something that may be confy for you is to find a diagram of the fretboard like this

HEY!! i want to learn how to read the notes on the bass! 1

and find a pattern that suits you to remember the exact notes.

My advice as a newb (I only play 6 months) is to focus on your 7 first frets and THEN proceed the whole fretboard.

Hope I've helped you Smile
Nocturnal_Pulse
Nocturnal_Pulse
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidM96 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:10 pm

well, i only have one thing to say, theres an exercise ive been doing recently every day and i think its helping. Just turn on your metronome (assuming you have one) and on every beat hit one of the notes in order (open E, f, f#, and so on). so you'd do all the notes one the E string then to the A string and so forth.
DavidM96
DavidM96
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down