Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pickups for an squire affinity jazz bass

Go down

pickups for an squire affinity jazz bass Empty pickups for an squire affinity jazz bass

Post  brk32 Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 am

I have a made in Indonesia 2008 squire jazz bass that I've owned for going on two years now....

I've been all over the place in regards to learning, I lost and regained interested and am recently just successfully getting over
an obstacle of having extremely short pinkys. I can pretty much comfortably reach the 12th fret of the E string with my pink and
anything beyond that I just use three fingers because its so close anyhow.

On to my point... this is a great bass really... a gem really, I think it's much better then MANY of the squire affinity's it shipped with.
The guitar tech I go to (who is known for his floyd rose setups) told me this is one of the nicest squires he's ever seen. I paid $200 for it.
The one real sore point is the pickups. They don't impress me much at all, they have lots of noise and they are twangy. Also unless
both pickups are turned the whole way up you get a hum from the amplifier. To boot my A string is super weak, it doesn't thump at all.

I was looking at maybe upgrading the pickups to something a little better. They have DiMarzio DP123 Model J's for $100
and Black Fender Noiseless J Bass 2-Pickup Set for pretty much $100 as well as some others.

I'm only looking to spend about $100 as I don't want to get too deep into this squire jazz. It's a solid bass now and I think with a little
investment pickup wise this thing will be nice. I don't see much a point in going past there with it though, as I might as well buy a new
middle to higher end bass a year or two on down the road when I find out if I'm really going to get serious with it or not.

Any suggestions?
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down