Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time?

+9
Cliff em' all
Dr.Sterni
general lee
Protoplm
McSnuggles
Pastichio
Admin
Smaz
Guzco
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time? Empty Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time?

Post  Guzco Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:08 pm

I only really use two on faster parts where it's too fast to play with one. Basically, if I'm playing anything that is decently slow, I'll only use my index finger.
scratch
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time? Empty Re: Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time?

Post  Smaz Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:22 pm

James Jamerson only used one finger Smile Geddy Lee uses one finger a lot too, and I believe that Tim Commerford from Rage Against the Machine uses the one finger technique when he can after being inspired by Geddy.

No, there's no problem with it Wink
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time? Empty Re: Is it bad to pluck with one finger most of the time?

Post  Admin Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:36 pm

The purists (the ones on the other forums Wink ) will try and tell you you are wrong, and that you should give up bass now, because you've learnt an in-proper technique.

Even if you try and explain that some of the worlds greatest bass players play with one finger when at a slower tempo (and faster in some cases!), they will still tell you you are wrong, because they went to college and spent 5 years being told that, so it MUST be right...

Lol! Sorry, rambling a bit. Someone asked me this question not so long ago over there, and I said to the guy that yes, it is ok. If it is comfortable to you, then do it. I advise people to do two finger walking, but it's ok if you don't.

Of course, I was shot down for saying that! Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:57 pm

It's a technique. Playing with two fingers is a technique, as is three & four finger playing. Slap is a technique, and so is playing with a pick.

All good bassists should be able to play a variety of techniques - but that doesn't mean that you have to use them all, or can't prefer one over the other (i.e. playing with one finger over playing with two). Try out every techinque, and find which one works best for you Smile

I play with two fingers, slap a hell of a lot & am even trying to use three fingers. I do occasionally like to play around with just one finger though, requires more thought as it's not how I normally play Smile

A lot of people believe you can get a better bounce/groove when playing with one finger, plus it can eliminate any differences in sound that can happen when playing with two fingers, where one finger stroke is quieter than the other, not quite as smooth, whatever.

You probably will be told that it's wrong, because you should play with two fingers (anyone who plays with a pick isn't even a bassist.) It's your bass, played your way Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:47 am

Smaz, it feels like the opposite for me. I feel like I have to think more in order to play with two fingers sometimes.

Thanks for the answers. farao
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 am

Do what you feel is right. I would recommend developing a good two finger plucking technique but there is certainly nothing wrong with what you are doing. I personally use two and occasionally a third, over the years I have picked up some 'mistakes' sometimes I'll pluck with the same finger twice. This usually happens when I am changing from one string to the next, it is something I've thought I should try change but I'm not really bothered as I believe I have developed a good plucking technique.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 pm

I kind of do a mix of the two. I don't even think about my right hand 99.9% of the time. I use two fingers and just kind of do whatever comes naturally. Most of the time I do two fingers but sometimes I do the same finger a couple of times in a row and on one song I play one string with my index and one with my middle. It's kind of weird looking but it feels right so I do it. My theory is just do whatever makes you groove the best.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Cliff Burton used one finger alot too. Just as Smaz put it - it's your bass. I use one finger very rarely, but I don't think about it when I do. All I know is it sounds good and I can still play my usual 2 finger / 3 finger galloping just as well. So there's no reason not to.

That said, one finger can produce a really interesting sound and look! This guy plays Whiplash in the quicker parts with just his index.