Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol

+8
Rushfan30
BlackF89
mts
Smaz
Drakon7
Spoon
SuperMaximo93
McSnuggles
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol Empty Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol

Post  McSnuggles Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:08 pm

Has anyone tried it? I heard it works better than boiling them because it doesn't rust them since there's no water in the solution. The guy who told me said to let them sit in the alcohol for 12-24 hours and then just wipe them off. They should be good as new. I'm going to try it pretty soon since my strings are pretty bad. But just wondering if anyone has tried it before.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol Empty Re: Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 pm

Wow, this sounds like it should be good! I'm interested to know the answer too because I'm not bothered to buy any strings (I seem to be the only one here who doesn't buy strings but isn't broke lol! )
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol Empty Re: Cleaning strings with denatured alcohol

Post  Spoon Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:Wow, this sounds like it should be good! I'm interested to know the answer too because I'm not bothered to buy any strings (I seem to be the only one here who doesn't buy strings but isn't broke lol! )

I have never bought new strings my strings are now about 7 months old atleast. however I have boiled them.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:32 am

If it turns out noone's tried it, someone should, and alert the rest of the forum.

preferably someone who was gunna get new strings anyway.. or has them and hasnt put them on etc
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:48 am

Have you considered string wipes? I keep meaning to get some of these...

Ernie Ball string wipes:
http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=P04267/574.0
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Today i was thinking to get some antiseptic hand cleaning gel. I think most of dirt and shit comes from hands. So just cleaning my hands before every time i start to play could give more age for strings.
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:10 pm

mts wrote:Today i was thinking to get some antiseptic hand cleaning gel. I think most of dirt and shit comes from hands. So just cleaning my hands before every time i start to play could give more age for strings.

Sounds like a plan dude, will probably work out better than cleaning the strings in the long run
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:43 am

I'm trying it right now. Have them soaking as I type. I'll report back either tomorrow or Friday about how it worked. Wish me luck. Smile
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:53 am

luck.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:22 am

ooooo, I just may try this. I've got some Rotosounds on my fender that look really bad, and sound bad too. If I actually do get around to this ( no promises ) I'll post back.
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:55 pm

Report: It worked like a charm. Beautiful tone to my strings now, just like new. I suggest this to just about anyone. Sound great.

EDIT: And I let mine sit for about 23 hours before taking them out of the alcohol.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:36 pm

McSnuggles wrote:Report: It worked like a charm. Beautiful tone to my strings now, just like new. I suggest this to just about anyone. Sound great.

EDIT: And I let mine sit for about 23 hours before taking them out of the alcohol.

*Googles places where you can buy denatured alcohol*
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan hergs Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:07 am

hey ill try that if it works iv had mine for 9 months haha. i wipe them with those wet wipe things every now and then but ill try that =)
Dylan hergs
Dylan hergs

Back to top Go down

Post  McSnuggles Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:32 pm

You can get denatured alcohol at your local hardware store but some places, at least in the US, don't sell it to people under 18 years old because it's highly toxic and flammable.
McSnuggles
McSnuggles

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Next part of the experiment: how long it lasts for, before you have to do it again/the strings lose their bright tone again etc. Smile I'd be interested to know!
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 am

FYI its called methylated spirits in the normal world Smile
You'll probably find some under the kitchen sink, if not its only like $2 for a litre bottle.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 pm

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH

Its metho

Thanks for that Fluffy. I dont remember much from Science at school! Razz

Metho and kero makes things go bang. - All I remember

EDIT : Sorry, I meant Fuzzy..

And Im gunna be trying this soon.

OHAND!

Got my SR300 out of the shop yesterday, Im not allowed to own it till my birthday, but Il lstill sneak a play here and there Wink

Its still amazing. Im sure it wont stop being amazing XD
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:07 am

Haha how long until your b'day?
I don't get why we always have to wait until our birthday, even if we know what it is and its in the house..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:50 am

Drakon7 wrote:OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH

Got my SR300 out of the shop yesterday, Im not allowed to own it till my birthday, but Il lstill sneak a play here and there Wink

Its still amazing. Im sure it wont stop being amazing XD

I hope you got a white one Razz
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am

Nope, Iron Pewter

and birthday is in November Sad
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan hergs Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:31 am

hey it works perfectly!!!!! they sound as good as new, i didnt realise mine sounded so bad haha they sound sweeeeet now =)
Dylan hergs
Dylan hergs

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:15 am

Does anyone know if mineral turps will do the same thing as metho?
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:33 am

Mineral spirits in American? Idk I might test that.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:40 am

I'm not sure.. theres so many different names of chemicals depending on where you live.
I've got clear mineral turps, which I believe is petroleum-based as opposed to meths which is ethanol-based.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan hergs Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 am

Fuzzydice45 wrote:Does anyone know if mineral turps will do the same thing as metho?
just go with the metho mate =D works a treat
Dylan hergs
Dylan hergs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next