Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flatwound strings

+2
Dropthelines585
Smaz
6 posters

Go down

Flatwound strings Empty Flatwound strings

Post  Smaz Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Just bought myself a set of Rotosound flatwound strings to try... Going to put them on my Precision bass first, then move them on to my acoustic to give them a try. Anyone else used flatwound strings before?

To those not in the know: 'Standard' strings are generally roundwound, which means that the wrap around the core wire is a round shape. Flatwound means that the outer wrap is flattened, and is generally considered to give the bass a more upright bass sound. For more information, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strings_(music)
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Flatwound strings Empty Re: Flatwound strings

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:27 pm

I've played with them before on a fretless J-bass in a music shop, and an old Japanese knock off J that belonged to a friend of mine. They sound cool if you let them get really old.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:19 pm

apparently (i do NOT know this from my own experience) they are meant to be good for reggae type music

but as i said apparently
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Igastopheles Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Well flats can be preferred for reggae, soul/R&B, gospel, styles of music like that because they have a warmer tone to them, which makes the notes sound a little thicker in attack(not overall volume). Notes played on roundwound strings have a sharper definition in tone and they ring out longer, so if you're going for a "fat" bass sound, then flatwounds are better. They're also generally preferred on fretlesses because they don't wear the fingerboard out nearly as fast as rounds can(especially with string bending). I've still never bought a set of flats for my own bass, but I have played them on fretlesses in stores and they certainly do sound and feel rather different.
Igastopheles
Igastopheles

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 am

I've always used rounds Wink
Heres a good vid comparing some flatwound strings..
I really like the LaBellas

Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 am

what part of missouri are you from Iga?
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Igastopheles Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:38 am

@Dropthelines: I'm way up in northwest Missouri in college right now. I'm like a half-hour south of Iowa, pretty much.

@Smaz: By the way, I'd like to know your opinion on those Rotosound flats and how they sound after you've played them for awhile, because I'm planning on getting myself a fretless pretty soon and I haven't decided on what brand of flats I want to string it with yet.
Igastopheles
Igastopheles

Back to top Go down

Post  reuben Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:13 am

Played in lots of reggae bands and yes they all preferred flats but with the new ragga fusion/electrodub rounds rule lots more tonal variation Cool

By the way new here looks like a cool place cheers
reuben
reuben

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:39 am

reuben wrote:Played in lots of reggae bands and yes they all preferred flats but with the new ragga fusion/electrodub rounds rule lots more tonal variation Cool

By the way new here looks like a cool place cheers

Become a regular, it never fails to disappoint.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down