Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid-level basses

+2
SuperMaximo93
Pippynip
6 posters

Go down

Mid-level basses Empty Mid-level basses

Post  Pippynip Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Pretty soon I'm probably going to want a new bass. My current 'entry-level' one is nice and all, very easy and fun to play, but I want an upgrade. So what would you lot recommend as a good value for money (imperative as money is tight), fun mid-level bass?

I imagine music style/playing style/whatever is a factor, so mine... I'd probably say a bit of everything. Mostly classic rock and metal, grunge and punk, but when I get a-slappin' an-a-poppin' I'll be doing the many funky stuffs a bit more.

I have looked around a bit and I like the look of this, is this a mid level bass?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Mid-level basses Empty Re: Mid-level basses

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:39 pm

Pippynip wrote:I have looked around a bit and I like the look of this, is this a mid level bass?

Soley based on the price I would say that it's probably a low level bass, but not as low as entry level... Even though price doesn't really mean anything, and its up to personal taste, I'd say that a bass that costs like £400-600 was mid level. I'm obviously no expert or anything, its just looking at the phrases 'entry level', 'low level' and 'mid level' instantly puts a number in my head, you know what I mean?

Though then again price obviously doesn't mean much, the Squier Deluxe Jazz 5 is about £250 yet I'd consider it in the low-mid level... Personally I think the pricer Squiers or a Mex Fender would be a good choice as a mid level instrument... It's up to you of course, save up a load of cash and go try some basses Smile
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:48 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
Pippynip wrote:I have looked around a bit and I like the look of this, is this a mid level bass?

Soley based on the price I would say that it's probably a low level bass, but not as low as entry level... Even though price doesn't really mean anything, and its up to personal taste, I'd say that a bass that costs like £400-600 was mid level. I'm obviously no expert or anything, its just looking at the phrases 'entry level', 'low level' and 'mid level' instantly puts a number in my head, you know what I mean?

Though then again price obviously doesn't mean much, the Squier Deluxe Jazz 5 is about £250 yet I'd consider it in the low-mid level... Personally I think the pricer Squiers or a Mex Fender would be a good choice as a mid level instrument... It's up to you of course, save up a load of cash and go try some basses Smile

That's another reason value for money is imperative... I could end up paying £400 for a bass that's actually worse than a £250 one Razz
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Lol yeah, I guess the only option is try before you buy, or at least take a look at reviews before you decide
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:32 am

squire classic vibe jazz bass

Sterling by Musicman ray 34 - I played one of these the other day just because it was there when i was buying my P bass. I've also played a number of rays in the last year and the ray 34 came close, it played superb and sounded great, but theres always the little bit extra in a offical one. Still a fantastic bass for the money.

Don't forget the 2nd hand market, there are bargains to be had.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:40 am

^ that pretty much
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

I've got around £550 to spend on a new bass and was considering something second hand but i'm having trouble finding anything reasonably priced ;/
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:51 pm

BlackF89 wrote:I've got around £550 to spend on a new bass and was considering something second hand but i'm having trouble finding anything reasonably priced ;/

Basschat market place
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:10 pm

danthewelshy wrote:
BlackF89 wrote:I've got around £550 to spend on a new bass and was considering something second hand but i'm having trouble finding anything reasonably priced ;/

Basschat market place

Good call, I'll be sure to keep my eyes on there when possible Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 am

There is only one thing stopping me from getting that MM Ray 34, and that's the pickup placement. I just don't feel at all comfortable playing nearer the bridge, quite annoying really. But instead, I've decided to get this...

Ibanez SR400QM

beeeeautiful
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:24 am

Woah, that's one awesome finish! It'll look 2353525% cooler in real life too!

Oh, and about the Ray, you'll get used to the bridge position quickly. On my Ibanez I ususally play over the neck pickup but I tried the bridge for a different tone and now I'm comfortable with both positions (maybe even more comfortable with the bridge pickup affraid )
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:17 pm

ed friedland did a vid for that thing somewhere on utube
also i would suggest that any of the higher end ibanez soundgears sr 400 or higher or the srx series are probably mid range basses
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down