Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which bass to pick?

3 posters

Go down

Which bass to pick? Empty Which bass to pick?

Post  MET@LBASS Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:44 am

I have $500 dollars at most, and I need a new bass. I like to play everything from dropped B Parkway Drive to standard tuning Chilli Peppers. I want something that can range from everywhere in between and still sound good, but for $500 I don't really expect it. ANy ideas or help?

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Which bass to pick? Empty Re: Which bass to pick?

Post  Stryfer Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:10 am

Get a 5 string, so you don't have to change tuning. Although, playing dropped stuff on a 5 string can be a real challange for your fingers, but it's very doable.
Is there any model, sound, name in particular you're targeting? I mean there's a load of basses out there and each one is good in it's own way. I have an Ibanez (cheaper than $500) and it does a good job in almost any genre.
Based on what you want to play, you will need to get something with 2 pickups, but almost every bass has two these days.
What kind of bass did you use before and what was the biggest problem you had with it? That should help.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 am

The first bass I had was a very very low quaility, super generic peice of s***. Everything was wrong with it, but it did the job. Ibanez sounds like something I might want to try, a lot of people have said good things, I kind of want either a Fender Jazz bass, or something from the Schecter range becuase they both have (totally differnt) atrributes that I want. But Ibanez might be able to cover a bit of both, so I will look futher into those. I kind of thought about getting a Galveston 8 string bass for a little while, but it might seem a bit wanky. I will just have to reserch a litle more Smile
Thanks for the help

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:40 pm

I would not suggest a harmonic 8 string for a beginner, but I don't know your skiill level so this may not be that helpful. I say this to everyone though. Get something that you can grow into. Don't get something you'll regret buying in six months. Kinda like a tattoo.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:08 am

As far as metal goes, I don't suggest getting something with 8 strings. You won't need more than 5, simple as that. Those other strings are mostly reserved for jazz players who aren't satisfied with the number of octaves on regular basses XD

Fenders are always good, but if you're into metal you may want to go for a precision rather than jazz. Don't know if you want to pluck, slap or play with a pick though. If you're going to slap then a jazz is great Smile

I have so 0 experience with Schecters...so no comment.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Judging from the quality of their guitars, their basses ought to be pretty darn good.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down