Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass?

+19
lokki
Dylan hergs
danthewelshy
Dizzae
Dropthelines585
SuperMaximo93
Cliff em' all
Nuck81
Dr.Sterni
Malastare
MET@LBASS
Drakon7
Assad
Fuzzy
Smaz
Protoplm
mts
ThreeLetterSyndrom
Guzco
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass? Empty What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass?

Post  Guzco Wed May 27, 2009 2:59 am

Without even thinking I always seem to begin playing the bass line from Under the Bridge... not sure why.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass? Empty Re: What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass?

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Wed May 27, 2009 7:51 am

I just play one of my old riffs. Razz

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass? Empty Re: What's the first thing you do when you pick up your bass?

Post  mts Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 am

check is it on tune.
if not tune it
else play something... used to start with Schism
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Wed May 27, 2009 11:12 am

mts wrote:... used to start with Schism

This. Or the galloping riff to Metallica - Orion, or more recently, Mudvayne - Dig.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Wed May 27, 2009 1:40 pm

Normally I put the strap over my shoulder.

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Wed May 27, 2009 3:06 pm

Smaz wrote:Normally I put the strap over my shoulder.

king

me too if i am standing but not when i am sitting down. geek
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Wed May 27, 2009 6:21 pm

mts wrote:

king

Hey, he said normally. That would imply that he usually stands.. maybe I can decipher other personal info within his writing. A person bears part of their soul with each letter they type on D'man's forums, or so I heard.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed May 27, 2009 7:20 pm

I usually play the chorus and verse of My Curse by Killswitch Engage or Cornman by Kinky (smaz posted in learn to play > post your own lesson)
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Thu May 28, 2009 12:27 am

Protoplm wrote:
mts wrote:

king

Hey, he said normally. That would imply that he usually stands.. maybe I can decipher other personal info within his writing. A person bears part of their soul with each letter they type on D'man's forums, or so I heard.

lol!
No actually, I sit down when I play usually and I don't even have a strap at this point. Yes, I'm serious.
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Thu May 28, 2009 12:34 am

Protoplm wrote:
mts wrote:

king

Actually, I only ever play sitting down Wink

I prefer having the strap on, it keeps the bass closer to me & prevents it from slipping etc. I also find it gets in the way if I'm not wearing it. Plus it means I can still use my mouse & keyboard for finding songs etc, chatting to people... I have played games whilst playing bass too before cyclops

king
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzco Thu May 28, 2009 12:39 am

Smaz wrote: I have played games whilst playing bass too before cyclops

king

Genius. cheers
Guzco
Guzco

Back to top Go down

Post  Assad Thu May 28, 2009 12:56 am

i stroke my strings... theyre sooo smoooooth, i love flatwounds

Assad

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu May 28, 2009 3:34 am

hahahahahahahahaha

I think its funny, that even after we've all heard 3,000 times to not just jump straight into playing songs and do excercises. That there is now a thread an everyone is saying that they do just jump into songs =P

Yeah, I play not falling by mudvayne Razz

And I play sitting down with the strap on

But Ive got one of those thick leather straps, so itll get in the way if I dont
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  MET@LBASS Thu May 28, 2009 11:37 am

yeah, i play some Tool
Or the riff to sinfeild lol

MET@LBASS

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Thu May 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Guzco wrote:
Smaz wrote: I have played games whilst playing bass too before cyclops

king

Genius. cheers

It's quite productive to do while a game is loading.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  Malastare Thu May 28, 2009 10:45 pm

I'm a bit neurotic about practice and warmups, I always start with modes and arpeggios.
Malastare
Malastare

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Sterni Thu May 28, 2009 11:08 pm

Usually I sit down, take my bass and start playing the first part of my 1st learned song "Sir Psycho Sexy". After a couple of minutes / tries / whatever I blame the bad result on the tuning.

Then I'll tune it and start playing the same stuff over again. This 2nd bad result will instantly be blamed on the dirtyness of the bass...

So'll clean it a little bit... and start again.

The missing coffee will then be made responsible for this 3rd usually bad try... So I'll go to the kitchen and grab a coffee... And start playing again.

After that I see that the bad results probably do might come from bad fingering... And I - finally! - start practising seriously on my left hand finger work :-)))

CU soon, Doc.
Dr.Sterni
Dr.Sterni

Back to top Go down

Post  Nuck81 Fri May 29, 2009 2:36 am

scales and a blues progression
Nuck81
Nuck81

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri May 29, 2009 3:38 am

Dr.Sterni wrote:Usually I sit down, take my bass and start playing the first part of my 1st learned song "Sir Psycho Sexy". After a couple of minutes / tries / whatever I blame the bad result on the tuning.

Then I'll tune it and start playing the same stuff over again. This 2nd bad result will instantly be blamed on the dirtyness of the bass...

So'll clean it a little bit... and start again.

The missing coffee will then be made responsible for this 3rd usually bad try... So I'll go to the kitchen and grab a coffee... And start playing again.

After that I see that the bad results probably do might come from bad fingering... And I - finally! - start practising seriously on my left hand finger work :-)))

CU soon, Doc.

LOL. I just blame my old. worn out rusty crappy strings for my bad playing.

And now that Im playing on new strings. I have no excuses left Sad

Until I play something I know I cant play. and then blame my experience. <.<
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:51 pm

I play c major on all positions and all of its chords and then f major and g major,and sometimes i play the refrain of electric funeral. santa
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:07 pm

The intro to Spiderwebs by No Doubt, Higher Ground or Hysteria... Sometimes its the major scale Laughing
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Drakon7 wrote:hahahahahahahahaha

I think its funny, that even after we've all heard 3,000 times to not just jump straight into playing songs and do excercises. That there is now a thread an everyone is saying that they do just jump into songs =P

Yeah, I play not falling by mudvayne Razz

And I play sitting down with the strap on

But Ive got one of those thick leather straps, so itll get in the way if I dont

I have a pink levy's belt strap.

I normally have a wank first.
Then I play a few scales to warm up.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzae Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:39 pm

I do my hand and tendon excersises >_>
Dizzae
Dizzae

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Depends how im feeling. I seem to need quite a long warm up to get my hands working well so that normally means starting off for 5-15 mins going up a major scale in 6ths and back in 3rds in 2 octaves along with a metronome, increasing the speed as i go. I should really do it in every key, its pretty easy to transpose(lazy?). Depending on what i plan to practice determines what i do next then. Usually some chilled out play alongs to keep my fingers working.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dylan hergs Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:16 am

i do my hand exercises......lol! not really i always forget about doin that, i always start playing under the bridge to, and then some higher ground to warm up the slaping Smile
Dylan hergs
Dylan hergs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next