Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fixing bass wiring

+3
maxf13
SyneRRR
GimmeDatSheep
7 posters

Go down

fixing bass wiring Empty fixing bass wiring

Post  GimmeDatSheep Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:47 pm

So, I've bought a used bass about a year ago (its an Ibanez GSR200). Recently it's been making buzzing noises when I plug it in, so I've unscrewed the back and looked around to find two black wires at are not connected to anything, among other colored wires attached here and there.
Unfortunately I can't take any pics at the moment, so I was wondering if someone had diagrams or something similar that can help me fix the problem on my own? I know that going to a shop would cost me a lot of money so I would like to avoid that option if i can.
The bass has bridge and neck pickups, and three knobs. I think two of the knobs are individual volume knobs for each pickups, and the third one being the tone (pretty much broken).

GimmeDatSheep

Back to top Go down

fixing bass wiring Empty Re: fixing bass wiring

Post  SyneRRR Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:17 pm

The two back wires are most probably the ground wires, but since I don't have a GSR200 on hand I have no clue try connecting them to the ground on the bass, ( on mine its just a piece of metal attached to the body.

Though I may be terribly wrong!
SyneRRR
SyneRRR

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:07 pm

DubHertz probably knows what to do.
Usually black wiring is the neutral wire but im not sure if thats the same in your bass

Last edited by maxf13 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  ThreeLetterSyndrom Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 pm

maxf13 wrote:the guy with the seven string bass
(sorry mate i cant think of your name at the moment, someone help me out pls)
probably knows what to do.
Usually black wiring is the neutral wire but im not sure if thats the same in your bass
DubHertz.

And it's a LEFTY seven string bass. Very Happy

ThreeLetterSyndrom
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:01 pm

fixed thx
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Here is the wiring diagram for the GSR200 - doesnt help much with the wire colours though

[img]fixing bass wiring W9703811[/img]

At a guess the wires have probably fallen off the first leg of the Bridge pickup volume control or also check that there are still two wires going to the jack plug
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  GimmeDatSheep Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:41 am

Okay so the output jack only has one wire attached to it. The unconnected wires come from the neck volume knob and the other from the bridge volume knob. And for sure something's supposed to be connected to the tone knob cause there's an obvious sign of wire being soldered there before.
Dang, I have no means to solder the wires anyway. Would most music shops fix this kinda stuff? I'm sure it happens frequently especially with crappy guitars.

GimmeDatSheep

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm willing to bet most music shops could fix it for you. You could bring it into Guitar Center (I'm pretty sure GC does repairs) or some other shop, and they'd fix it for you. I'd look around for some local dealers though, I found a small guitar shop not to far from where I live, and the dude's service their rocks.
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  turboscrew Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 am

GimmeDatSheep wrote:Okay so the output jack only has one wire attached to it. The unconnected wires come from the neck volume knob and the other from the bridge volume knob. And for sure something's supposed to be connected to the tone knob cause there's an obvious sign of wire being soldered there before.
Dang, I have no means to solder the wires anyway. Would most music shops fix this kinda stuff? I'm sure it happens frequently especially with crappy guitars.
I think you should get tools for soldering. You'll probably need them for fixing all kinds of little things - the chords for example. A 50 Watt simple handle shouldn't be too expensive, but I recommend insulated tip. The fast things
(wire loop) may harm FETs.

turboscrew

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down