Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

amps what to use?

+4
Drakon7
murphy
SuperMaximo93
zsid
8 posters

Go down

amps what to use? Empty amps what to use?

Post  zsid Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am

hi guys what amp to use MUST BE CHEAP pale

zsid

Back to top Go down

amps what to use? Empty Re: amps what to use?

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey man Smile

First off, whats your budget?
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

amps what to use? Empty amps and what to use

Post  zsid Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:36 pm

hi man, this what I use at at the moment STAGG 20BA BASS AMPLIFIER:
30 Watts PMPO
8 speaker

I think this ok to learn with but if I need something better the money will
have to be found. Smile

zsid

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Yeah as long as you can hear yourself it doesn't really matter too much about the amp you're using for practice in general. Unless your trying to nail the 'perfect tone' or something like that. You'll have to get something bigger when you're in a band (unless the drummer uses drumsticks made of foam or something Razz )
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  murphy Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 pm

you can get an acoustic amp there good and not very expensive
murphy
murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:09 am

Another good idea for cheaps is just to buy a USB interface, massive selection of tones, alot of them sound better then amps, and if its for practicing then its good. Unless you have a laptop, alot of them you have to plug the speakers into the interface, not hte computer. So a laptop youll need external speakers or headphones [Youll need them for a desktop, too. But you should already have them ,right?]
Not to mention, it usually sounds better then a lower grade[cheap] amp.

Downsides
-Not overly loud, usually, you can make it loud, people next door can hear it, but you wont stand a chance against an amp
- The Room doesnt shake =[
-Doesnt sound.. natural.. It sounds like its going through a computer..
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Protoplm Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 am

From what I've found, buying your first amp is a decent commitment. Your first amp should be small enough to move around for sure. Now the issue is of how serious you're going to be when playing. If you are going for a jam experience, make sure your amp is loud enough that you can hear yourself over a drummer, but still small enough to move. Likewise, anything that you can hear yourself will suffice.
Protoplm
Protoplm

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:36 pm

What kinda watt range are we looking at to be heard over a drummer. 150?
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:56 pm

brk32 wrote:What kinda watt range are we looking at to be heard over a drummer. 150?

Woah, that's a lot. My amp is 160w and I can hear myself pretty well in my room with my sis on the drum kit on volume 3 Razz It'd be different if I was playing in a different environment but 150w is a bit much if you just want to be heard over a drummer IMO. But then again it would be a good investment to get a good wattage amp for gigs and stuff (and a guitarist that won't turn down Razz)
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

amps what to use? Empty amps and things

Post  zsid Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:41 pm

hi guys thanks for the input , just have make my mind up Very Happy

zsid

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:12 am

SuperMaximo93 wrote:
brk32 wrote:What kinda watt range are we looking at to be heard over a drummer. 150?

Woah, that's a lot. My amp is 160w and I can hear myself pretty well in my room with my sis on the drum kit on volume 3 Razz It'd be different if I was playing in a different environment but 150w is a bit much if you just want to be heard over a drummer IMO. But then again it would be a good investment to get a good wattage amp for gigs and stuff (and a guitarist that won't turn down Razz)

Mine is just 15 watt but it overly good with the drummer stuff.
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  brk32 Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:39 pm

Basically what I was asking was to be heard while gigging. I know the point isn't to over power the other people but you don't want the drummer drowning you out either.

So in a small to moderate size gig setup I'd say 150w would be good enough?
brk32
brk32

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:44 am

Never tried, but I think so. Been to a school battle at the bands (to watch) with 200 people and the bass amps were definitely loud enough. It was in a theatre though so the accoustics are good though so that probably helped. But my amp is 160w and touching the strings lightly makes a loud noise at full volume Razz
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Fatgoogle Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:36 pm

I use a 600 watt amp in band, and i use 300 watts at home with my 1x15. I prefer to have plenty of clean headroom that way without any SS distortion or speaker Distortion.
If you at home practicing and thats all this amp is for then a nice little 30 watt combo or so would be excellent. Orange makes a really nice one with a 12" speaker, which is fantastic as it wont fart out as much as smaller and cheaper 10" or 8" speakers.
For practicing with a drummer and band, id hit 100 watt straight away with a really good 15" speaker in it, ashdown mag 115c would be a good choice. You need the headroom IMO to have a clean sound first and with smaller amps youll be cranking them to soon and pusking them too hard to begin with.

What budget and what will you be using it for.

Fatgoogle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down