Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos)

+6
Dropthelines585
maxf13
Fuzzy
Andylochtie
Smaz
AJBOXER
10 posters

Go down

4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos) Empty 4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos)

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi all of my bass playin fellows,

I really want to buy myself a amplifier which is a 4x10 combo with at least 300 to 400 watts but i cant find one that is quality enough, can only find low budget crap that wont last for very long.

I play indie rock with my band and i need that slightly sharper tone for my overall sound but if you guys have got any tips for me, please let me know and i will be greatly thankfull:)

Sincerly Alex,

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos) Empty Re: 4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos)

Post  Smaz Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Ashdowns are pretty cheap, yet reliable - I've had my combo for about 5 years now, it's got a great rock sound to it.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=79

What kind of price range are you looking at?
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos) Empty Re: 4x10 amps that aren't so friggin expensive (combos)

Post  Andylochtie Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Yeah i use an Ashdown amp aswell its pritty new but its working fine for me atm.

Andylochtie

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Once you go over a few hundred watts, it's probably cheaper to buy a separate amp and cab.
That's what i've noticed over here anyway..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:38 pm

yh if ur looking for 4x10 and over 300w just get a seperate amp and cab
easier to carry around and more range
as smaz said ahsdown amps are cheap but they get the job done and i like mine
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Hartke is a great company and a great value. Their aluminum cone speakers are awesome.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:01 pm

one thing about hartke
stay of their small combos
ive had two and on both of them the speaker cone broke (paper)
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 pm

I have had iPod speakers with better than paper
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:32 pm

I'm not to keen on Hartke amps but ashdown may be a choise for me but what about ampeg?

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:34 pm

yh ive heard that ampeg are decen also

behringer seems to be not so good though
a bit too cheap
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 pm

I have used a small behringer amp was ok, the model I was using had great tone but not that much versatility, and It would rattle.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Behringer is budget stuff at the maximum, it just doesnt cut it but the way i see it now, its standing beetwen Ampeg and Ashdown?

Which is going to give the best sound and feeling`?

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56 pm

i like ashdown
u should definatly have a look at the little giant amps
they are tiny
and look cute
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 am

What about Warwick?
Pretty good value, only a little more expensive than Hartke.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:40 pm

Well how about Ampeg, Found this amp at 300 watts 1x15

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm

AJBOXER wrote:Well how about Ampeg, Found this amp at 300 watts 1x15

I say buy it Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Hartke is a great company and a great value. Their aluminum cone speakers are awesome.

hear hear... I miss my heartke. =/
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Late2bass Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:35 am

I'm putting my bass through a 300W Trace Elliot 2x10 combo with a separate 2x10 underneath...all bought from ebay for 300 squidly diddlies! I play 'indie' stuff mostly and, with the 'pre shape' off, you get a really punchy sound. However, put the 'preshape' on and stuff like 'With or Without You' by U2 sounds superb too. There's certainly enough power to knock your trouser legs off!!

Cool

Steve

Late2bass

Back to top Go down

Post  AJBOXER Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 am

Okay i have made up my mind now and the thing is that i really want i 4x10 amp with at least 300 to 400 watts.
I found a Ampeg bass box for about 6000 of our swedish kronor and in english pounds that is about 500 and in american dollars its about 600 or 700.
But i still need a Top for it and i need a quality one that wont cost me an arm and a leg so if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know.

One more thing, i play indie rock and want a bassy tone with a slight treble sound to give it a more filled sound, i want a mere Flea sound. So forget about all these heavy metall amps and effects but i still apperciate all the help none the less. Wink

AJBOXER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down