Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey, First post.

+5
Dropthelines585
SuperMaximo93
Pippynip
Spoon
Thor
9 posters

Go down

Hey, First post. Empty Hey, First post.

Post  Thor Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:05 pm

So yeah been looking round the forums allot and just reading and have been following Dmans videos for a while so i thought id make an account and start posting.

Recently just got invited along to a band rehersal and ive been playing bass for a year or so now and ive jammed with other guitarists and what not before but when it comes to picking up on a riff and doing some improv im clueless as to what to do. If anyones got any advice on how id fill my role jamming with a band as a bassist let me know?

Thor

Back to top Go down

Hey, First post. Empty Re: Hey, First post.

Post  Spoon Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:07 pm

why not introduce yourself on the introduce yourself thread rather than making a new thread.

BTW hello =D

plz stick around
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Unfortunately I can't answer your question... But hey anyway Very Happy

Welcome to the forums!
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thor Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:33 pm

I did post on the introduce yourself section a while back but my account name was my real name noticed everyone else was using a nickname so i jumped on the bangwagon and made a new account.

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Thor wrote:I did post on the introduce yourself section a while back but my account name was my real name noticed everyone else was using a nickname so i jumped on the bangwagon and made a new account.
lol! Hi again then Smile

I'd say learn some theory, like scales and chords and stuff like that. Then you can say, "Hey, what scale/chord is this riff from?" and they can tell you and you can make something up with your knowledge of scales and chords
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Thor Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks allot mate some usefull stuff there:)

Got dmans videos on chords any good sites for learning scales around?

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm

SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:01 pm

+1 for the study bass site
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Thor Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:10 pm

Yeah cheers big help Smile

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:39 pm

My advice would be to start off slow and add more as you get comfortable with the groove.

Use trial an error if you have to when jamming, however I do not suggest this in an onstage situation.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey ya! Nice to meet you XD

I have no idea bout anything soo I cant help ^^ but Hiya anyways!
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:38 am

Depends on the style of music.

In most situations I would suggest to learn the riff as it is played note by note. Most songs will have a riff part and a part where they break away from the main riff - then it's time to start improvising!

The break away parts will most likely be a set of chords which will loops around and are played rather loosely. In this case I just ask the rhythm guitarist (or the lead guitarist if you have only one guitar in the band) what chords he playes. Then I do the root of the chords and add a few notes from the corresponding scale based on what I feel like.
For example if he plays say a G7 chord, I'd start at the G and the rest of the notes would be the notes of the major scale (you probably already know the scheme for a major scale). As for what notes, it depends. Sometimes I feel the need to glide from higher to lower so I go for the fifth early and backtrack to the root. Other times, I feel like doing a sharp dynamic and jump to the octave and play around with the bottom row of the scale (or extend it another octave, but that's a bit more advanced) and do a quick, few-step, jump to the root.

Those are examples of what I usually do in the songs I play. In some songs I do something completely different. Just go with the flow and play what you feel, but if you're scared of straying to far off - stick to the scale and the root and you can't miss!

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Beastmanh Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:29 am

You might pick a simple song from a cd or the radio (3 or 4 chord progression) and play along with it. Do what Stryfer suggested with major scale work on the simple song that you can play over and over again but changing your improv style. A good way to try out different things without looking "lame".

Cheers!

Beastmanh

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:http://www.studybass.com/ Smile

I'd say go on this link ^ and study the chords, then just follow Stryfers advice once you're feeling competent enough to do so Smile
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Thor Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone Smile

Some really good advice cheers.

Thor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down