Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To pick up some pick-ups?

+4
Dropthelines585
maxf13
SuperMaximo93
Rushfan30
8 posters

Go down

To pick up some pick-ups? Empty To pick up some pick-ups?

Post  Rushfan30 Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:11 pm

I've been debating if I should get some new pick ups recently. I'm looking to get some more tones out of my bass and what not. I'm not sure if I should get some bartolinis or save up and get a new amp.
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

To pick up some pick-ups? Empty Re: To pick up some pick-ups?

Post  SuperMaximo93 Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:49 pm

The amp usually has the biggest effect on tone so investing in a new amp might be a good idea... It all depends on what you're using at the moment really... So, what gear are you using?
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  maxf13 Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 pm

if u do decide to get new pickups then i suggest heading out to this place http://www.allparts.uk.com/
it seems to have everything u want
maxf13
maxf13

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 pm

SuperMaximo93 wrote:... So, what gear are you using?

I've got an Orange Crush 35B amp ( the one in my profile pic Razz ) , and if I was to get new pick ups I'd either put them in my Squire J Bass or my Tradition B-100
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am

If anything I'd go passive. Much much simpler. I outfitted mine with SD Hotstacks back in 05 made a helluva difference.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:58 am

"I had sex before I got here, so lets just enjoy the meal"
Thats the best pickup.

See what I did there?

Man. Im so good.

But anyways

My SR300's active pickups are fairly wonderful. I dont even think I want to go back to passive because of that.

But new amp. Definitely.
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  akyra Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:06 am

LulZ..

gonna check out that website ^^ lots really good XD
akyra
akyra

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:22 am

I reckon an amp upgrade would be the way to go, even though the Orange is a pretty decent amp I've heard
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  BlackF89 Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Rushfan30 wrote:
SuperMaximo93 wrote:... So, what gear are you using?

I've got an Orange Crush 35B amp ( the one in my profile pic Razz ) , and if I was to get new pick ups I'd either put them in my Squire J Bass or my Tradition B-100

From what I've heard they're meant to be good amps, I'd take your bass to a local music store and jam on a few amps there. If you're happy with any by all means buy a new one but I'd want to go for the pups first just out of sheer personal curiosity Smile

Also my Wick has passive pups and a preamp which gives you that passive sound but with an extra boost, by fiddling with the EQ I can get pretty much any sound I'm after.
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:41 am

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. I'm more than likely going to save up some more cash, and purchase a new amp. I'm thinking a higher end Orange,Ampeg, or maybe a gallien krueger. I'm definitely going to try them out though ( and others ), once again thanks for the advice! Very Happy
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Lots of variables here as mentioned your amplifier/effects etc will have an effect on the range of sound/tones but also the type and guage of your strings i.e roundwound strings lots of highs and midrange, flatwound thick melllow sound. Thinner strings dont give as much lows as thicker strings etc.

Also have you tried changing the height of your pickups? This can affect the sound. I would suggest that you try some of these first and decide on the sound or tone you are looking for.

I have read on forums of people spending lots of money on pickups only to put the original stock pickups back in. Some people change pickups because the new pickups have a brand name stamped on them ( pretty useles unless you are standing about 5cm away from the guitar.)

There are also many variables to look out for

1- will my ears be able tell the difference between different pickup types.
2- size of the replacement pickups is iimportant so measure your pickup cavities acccurately against the size of the new pickup - you dont want to have to widen the pickup cavities unless you are good at woodwork or its an inexpensive guitar.
3- the wiring may be different from my original pickups.
4- Different types of magnet, coil windings and wiring configrations give different results.

This could get very technical so i will stop here Very Happy But you could take a look at THIS

Last edited by DubHertz on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Most passive pups are wired the same. A red wire and a black wire. It's when you get into actives that you start to worry about wiring symmetry.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Dropthelines585 wrote:Most passive pups are wired the same. A red wire and a black wire. It's when you get into actives that you start to worry about wiring symmetry.

Also dependant on whether they are single coil or dual coil, most dual coil pickups have 4 wires sometimes an extra screen wire. The coils are usually wired in series to give more outputs, mainly used on humbucker or soap bar type pickups.
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:21 pm

DubHertz wrote:
Dropthelines585 wrote:Most passive pups are wired the same. A red wire and a black wire. It's when you get into actives that you start to worry about wiring symmetry.

Also dependant on whether they are single coil or dual coil, most dual coil pickups have 4 wires sometimes an extra screen wire. The coils are usually wired in series to give more outputs, mainly used on humbucker or soap bar type pickups.

I've never worked with those, so I learned something today.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  DubHertz Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:52 pm

This configuration allows guitar builders/modders to put in switches which allow for different wiring modes.

When both coils are wired in series you get a slighty lower output but a much thicker deeper sound. For example a p-bass has two separate pickup wired in series to make one pickup - deeper fatter sound

A jazz bass has two pickups wired in parallel giving a much brighter sound (great for slap and pop) but it is much louder

Parallel = less resistance across the coils = more output
Series = greater resistance = lower output
DubHertz
DubHertz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:57 pm

+1
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down