Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bass string recommendations?

+4
Pippynip
Drakon7
danthewelshy
ZOOMAR
8 posters

Go down

Bass string recommendations? Empty Bass string recommendations?

Post  ZOOMAR Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:02 pm

I just popped my G string (no pun intended). Can you guys make any recommendations on new guitar strings and where to get them serviced?

How much can I expect to pay?

ZOOMAR

Back to top Go down

Bass string recommendations? Empty Re: Bass string recommendations?

Post  danthewelshy Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:05 pm

the best place for strings

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/

Top service i've always had from there.

What style of music do you play? Personally I use elites 40-100 guage. Its about £13

If you want theres a make called legacy on there and it turns out about £8 a set of 40-100 guage and I had a result with them, but I do prefer the elites.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:41 pm

[reuse G string joke here]
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:03 am

Bugger. I was gonna get a 45-105 set of elites, but there's a lovely little cross next to it which I imagine means "out of stock lol".

Would a heavy set still be quite versatile? I want a nice bassy sound, but I don't want some of the higher-end sounds deadened, 'cause the solo performance for my music course uses the highest 'Orion chord' possible (what's the actual name for it, btw?) a couple of times.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:36 am

Pippynip wrote:Bugger. I was gonna get a 45-105 set of elites, but there's a lovely little cross next to it which I imagine means "out of stock lol".

Would a heavy set still be quite versatile? I want a nice bassy sound, but I don't want some of the higher-end sounds deadened, 'cause the solo performance for my music course uses the highest 'Orion chord' possible (what's the actual name for it, btw?) a couple of times.

there out of stock everywhere i've seen for some reason. But I wouldn't use the heavy guage in my opinion, as there are a bit harder to actually play on, in my opinion.
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:52 am

Righty-o, that's that out the window then.

What about the 40-100s? Do they have a nice bassy tone?
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 am

Pippynip wrote:Righty-o, that's that out the window then.

What about the 40-100s? Do they have a nice bassy tone?

Well I like them, but then again I like all the funk stuff. Thinking about it, I play in a covers band 70/80's rock and im sure that if I used heavier gauages on my D and G string they would sound alot better, but I don't because im my own practice I need the lighter guages. So actually thinking about it I think you do need 45's.

Ernie Balls?- they do a 45 65 80 100 I remember using them and they were okay
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 am

I use DR High Beams, and some Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Stainless Steel round-wound strings.
The High Beams have a a nice bright tone, and I can get a harsh growl out of the Rotosounds.
Both work pretty good for slap and pop. The High Beams have a lot longer life than the 66's, but the 66's just sound so awesome when there nice and fresh Very Happy
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:35 am

i have elixirs (45/65/85/105) on at the moment (they were a birthday present and i put them on 5 weeks ago) they're still bright and sound pretty damn good. I've bought a pack of dunlop light (100/80/60/40) to experiment with but the store charged me $20 more than they cost in oz so i'm a bit pissed off about that...
I had the stock D'Addario strings on my bass for 11 months (dead sounding) i kinda dug the sound but for playing in my band i decided to go with a brighter tone
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperMaximo93 Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:46 am

I'm using Elites 40-100 atm too. The Players (the nickel wound ones). What type of Elites do you use, Dan? Stadiums?
SuperMaximo93
SuperMaximo93

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:52 am

SuperMaximo93 wrote:I'm using Elites 40-100 atm too. The Players (the nickel wound ones). What type of Elites do you use, Dan? Stadiums?

yeah im using the stadiums
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 am

My 4 string has D'addario 55-110's and I have no idea what my 5 string has...
I can't recommend any strings because over here we only have the major brands that are normally more expensive, i'm sure there are some good cheaper brands over there.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down