Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underrated bassists

+8
Pippynip
jagy5150
Dmanlamius
blazed0wayz
Igastopheles
Pastichio
BlackF89
Cliff em' all
12 posters

Go down

Underrated bassists Empty Underrated bassists

Post  Cliff em' all Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:39 pm

Here we speak about bassists that are underrated.

The first guy that came to mind:Paolo gerggoleto

Adam Duce

Check out halo by machinehead.

Also

Roger Glover(deep purple)

And Thin lizzy's bassist whose name i don't recall right now. Very Happy
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Underrated bassists Empty Re: Underrated bassists

Post  BlackF89 Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Adam Duce is shit hot
Scott Shriner
Twiggy Ramirez
Nick Fyffe
Lee Rocker
BlackF89
BlackF89

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Noel Redding from the Jimi Hendrix Experience, overshadowed by Jimi and Mitch but he kept everything together so well. A lot of Hendrix fans don't give the man credit but I think he did his job so well in that group, leaving plenty of room for Jimi to do his thing which is what The Experience was all about.

Jason Newstead, takes a lot of stick from fans and had his fair share of stick from members of Metallica too but he is still a great bass player. It wasn't his fault that Cliff died, but a lot of people treated him like it was and it must have been hard to take his place knowing who he was replacing.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Igastopheles Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:21 am

And Thin lizzy's bassist whose name i don't recall right now. Very Happy

You're thinking of Phil Lynott there.

Underrated, hm...personally I find Krist Novoselic a commonly forgotten player, but maybe that's just a matter of opinion. Tom Scholz isn't famous for being a bass player but I thought that the bass parts he recorded on the first Boston record were very tasteful.

Nobody's ever heard of Beaver Felton either.

Igastopheles
Igastopheles

Back to top Go down

Post  blazed0wayz Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Jason Newstead, takes a lot of stick from fans and had his fair share of stick from members of Metallica too but he is still a great bass player. It wasn't his fault that Cliff died, but a lot of people treated him like it was and it must have been hard to take his place knowing who he was replacing.
man i totally agree i think jason is one of the greats man he is diffidently my bass idol and i love metallica i mean cliff was great to but i think jason brang something that cliff couldnt and vise versa the first full song i learned on bass was metallica my friend of misery and man i feel in love with my ax bro
blazed0wayz
blazed0wayz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 pm

I don't think these guys are that underated, as they are all in bands that have been, or are doing well...

I got some guys local to me that are really underated. Oh, and the dude from the spindoctors. He's underated.

Cool
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  jagy5150 Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:32 pm

well like dman said they arent too under rated but as far as pretty big bands go. You dont here alot about the great Billy Sheehan. and if u do. you cant here enough about him in my opinion. GREAT

jagy5150

Back to top Go down

Post  Pippynip Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Have to agree about Tom Scholz. Great band, but I have literally never before now actually heard any opinions on his bass playing.
Pippynip
Pippynip
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:46 am

Just noticed the topic today. In my opinion, the bassist from Mudvayne - Ryknow - is very under rated. There are a few vids on youtube where he can be seen in all his glory.
Also there is this unknown "amazing bass player" video on youtube. I have no idea who that guy is, but he's top notch.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  uglymutt Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:04 am

jagy5150 wrote:well like dman said they arent too under rated but as far as pretty big bands go. You dont here alot about the great Billy Sheehan. and if u do. you cant here enough about him in my opinion. GREAT

Went to one of his bass clinics (sponsored by Yamaha) Razz He's actually a really cool guy, i thought he'd be a bit weird as all i'd really seen of him was G3 (when he plays with Vai and then all the other shredders). He's actually inspired me to redouble my efforts to learn new techniques.

Scott ‘Barney’ O’Donoghue (from Little Birdy) is underrated in my opinion especially in their latest album, WOW, the bass tone is awesome. The playing is awesome, nothing too flashy but really supports the song. If i could play like he did on that album then I would be very happy.
uglymutt
uglymutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Spoon Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 pm

liked Beaver Felton well worth looking in this thread just for that.
Spoon
Spoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Rushfan30 Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Dmanlamius wrote:I don't think these guys are that underated, as they are all in bands that have been, or are doing well...
Cool
Gotta agree with Dman on that point, but bands that are/were doing well I'd have to say Geezer from Black Sabbath was kind of underrated. Most people I know only love Sabbath for the " hard rock/metal " feel and Ozzy. Geezer was pretty damn good.
Also people like Jean Baudin, and a lot of Youtube bassists are extremely good, and deserve more credit.
Rushfan30
Rushfan30

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:36 pm

Rushfan30 wrote:
Dmanlamius wrote:I don't think these guys are that underated, as they are all in bands that have been, or are doing well...
Cool
Gotta agree with Dman on that point, but bands that are/were doing well I'd have to say Geezer from Black Sabbath was kind of underrated. Most people I know only love Sabbath for the " hard rock/metal " feel and Ozzy. Geezer was pretty damn good.
Also people like Jean Baudin, and a lot of Youtube bassists are extremely good, and deserve more credit.

True but I think the thread was about bassists that are well known that don't get the props. There are tonnes of bassists out there that are amazing and will never get the respect they deserve, that is very true. Look at Dman, he should be laughing his ass off in a mansion right now.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Stryfer Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Here is the video I mentioned earlier.
This guy is amazing and hardly anyone even knows his name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3V2Tl4g3s

Most people who've seen the vid just call him the Jesus of Bass
I think his real name is Gustavo Dal Farra or Dalfarra, not sure.

Stryfer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down