Free Bass guitar lessons

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Free Bass guitar lessons
Free Bass guitar lessons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strings.....

+19
Jerrad
Dylan hergs
boweddissonance
AppleAustin
Garth
SuperMaximo93
Drakon7
Cliff em' all
Dropthelines585
Pastichio
keizer
lokki
Assad
Dmanlamius
Dr.Sterni
mts
Smaz
Fuzzy
danthewelshy
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Strings..... Empty Strings.....

Post  danthewelshy Sat May 23, 2009 4:03 pm

How often do you change yours?

What are your favourite brands?

Just out of pure interest im asking

Me
change them like 3-4 months and i use a different brand every time Razz I don't use expensive ones just like £10-£15 ones. So far i've used:
Elites - Very good for the money
Ernie Balls - Were okay, need to try them again sometime
D'Addario Prosteels - Liked them alot
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Strings..... Empty Re: Strings.....

Post  Fuzzy Sun May 24, 2009 5:27 am

I change them every 3 months or whenever they get dirty enough.
I've only used deathwish strings, they're a new aussie brand.. sound ok enough.
I haven't tried d'addarios or any other brand though so I can compare them.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smaz Sun May 24, 2009 9:31 am

Rotosounds swing bass, stainless steel 40 - 100 guage at the moment. I like the sound & feel, the price is quite tasty too. I change them once every 2 - 3 months, depending on how much I've played.

I've used Ernie balls before, mainly super slinkys - I thought they were great, just decided to give Rotosound a go & liked them more Smile
Smaz
Smaz

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Sun May 24, 2009 3:10 pm

GHS Bass Boomers 50-115 and i change my string too rarely. I don't even remember when was last time. I am not in a band at the moment and i can do my exercises just fine. And somehow i like more of that stuffy sound.
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr.Sterni Sun May 24, 2009 5:43 pm

hehe, me²

i still play the original strings which were on my Ibanez when I bought it. Okay, it's just about one month old, but still...
Dr.Sterni
Dr.Sterni

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmanlamius Sun May 24, 2009 9:48 pm

Smaz wrote:Rotosounds swing bass, stainless steel 40 - 100 guage at the moment. I like the sound & feel, the price is quite tasty too. I change them once every 2 - 3 months, depending on how much I've played.

I've used Ernie balls before, mainly super slinkys - I thought they were great, just decided to give Rotosound a go & liked them more Smile

Thiieeeeffffff! Suspect

Ha, ha! same here. And i'd recommend rotosounds as a personal favourite as well. Very Happy
Dmanlamius
Dmanlamius

Back to top Go down

Post  Assad Tue May 26, 2009 9:27 pm

i use Picato stainless steel flatwounds, standard gauge, i just love the smoothness.... people complain that im always touching my strings...

there great cuz they are cheaper than most flatwound and high quality, but before hand i used ernie ball hybrid round wounds, they were ok...

Assad

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat May 30, 2009 3:44 pm

mts wrote:GHS Bass Boomers 50-115 and i change my string too rarely. I don't even remember when was last time. I am not in a band at the moment and i can do my exercises just fine. And somehow i like more of that stuffy sound.

I'm thinking of getting those, are they any good?

I'm trying to decide between D'Addario, DR and GHS..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  lokki Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:06 am

I haven't changed them yet...

Then again, i don't think i really need to until one of them snaps.
I don't gig, i just play to relax and because it's for my hands. (long boring story)
lokki
lokki

Back to top Go down

Post  keizer Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:37 am

I changed them for the first time a couple of weeks ago from the original ones that came on it when I bought it new 3 months ago.
Erine Ball slinkys (med gage)
keizer
keizer

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:01 am

Has anyone tried the DR black beauties or any other colour?
I'm thinking of getting a set..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mts Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:17 am

Fuzzydice45 wrote:Has anyone tried the DR black beauties or any other colour?
I'm thinking of getting a set..

I have been thinking to buy them(black or pink) but not yet bought them.
mts
mts

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:02 am

I very rarely change my strings, last time I changed them was a few months ago and before that years. I suppose if I was gigging with a band I'd change them alot more. I clean them with baby wipes occasionally and I do notice a slight tonal change, gets rid of all that dead skin and such which dampens the sound. I know a bassist in a reggae band that never changes his strings, adds to his sound. I use standard gibson medium gauge strings, I may try something heavier the next time.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:33 pm

I normally stick with Ernie Ball Power slinkys. I like the .115 b/c I like to play in C occasionally. They don't last as long as some other brands, but the sound is unmatched in my opinion. Has anyone played with the Warwick gold wound strings? They're like $100 usd. I'll bet they're awesome.
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:12 am

Ok on ebay I can get 3 sets of d'addario 55-110 nickel roundwounds for $75 delivered from america.
The only price I can find for the DR black beauties in the gauge I want is $75 for one set at a shop in sydney.
If I go down to 45-105 gauge I can get the black beauties for $45 delivered from america.

Hmm what to do...
If only they had the black beauties in 50-110 on ebay...
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Dumb question coming up: Aren't those acually black?
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:44 am

Yep, you can get other colours like red, blue, green and pink as well.
There might be more..
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dropthelines585 Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:09 pm

how do they do that without taking away the brightness?
Dropthelines585
Dropthelines585
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff em' all Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:10 pm

Dr.Sterni wrote:hehe, me²

i still play the original strings which were on my Ibanez when I bought it. Okay, it's just about one month old, but still...

Mine is seven months old and i haven't changed the strings yet...
Cliff em' all
Cliff em' all
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:38 am

I'm not sure what the difference in sound is between the DR Hi-Beams and the Black Beauties which are the same strings but with the long life coating.. Neutral
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakon7 Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:40 am

I slapped on a new set of Ashton Mediums the other day [the cheapest there was, I was broke. Ashton isnt really known for its great quality products. But its australian made {Whoop-dee-doo lol} Razz] And they sound fairly impressive tbh. Cant wait to try others. =D

Any suggestions for someone who is looking [I say because alot is too hard for me but Ive dramatically improved in recent weeks and can play alot more Smile Learnt Sequoia Throne the other day{Woo}] to play Prog Metal?
Drakon7
Drakon7

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:18 am

I decided on the 3 sets of D'addario EXL230's (55-110)...
Should get here in a couple of weeks...

I really need them aswell, i've noticed the tone in my strings change a lot in the last few days where i've been tuning up and down from drop C to standard a lot.
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:46 pm

Just wondering do you guys change your strings yourself or do you get music shop to do it? I know some shops have special machines that fit them on perfect. I've always changed them myself and have had no trouble, not that I'm aware of anyway lol. This thread has me considering getting a set of expensive strings, I always lean towards the budget end of the market.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  danthewelshy Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:53 pm

Pastichio wrote:Just wondering do you guys change your strings yourself or do you get music shop to do it? I know some shops have special machines that fit them on perfect. I've always changed them myself and have had no trouble, not that I'm aware of anyway lol. This thread has me considering getting a set of expensive strings, I always lean towards the budget end of the market.

Well i always do them myself now, I tend to lean towards budget strings becuase at the moment im not gigging or recording so i cant justify expensive strings when i don't have money to burn. Just my opinion i would gladly put on a set of DR'S if i had the money :p
danthewelshy
danthewelshy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pastichio Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:27 pm

danthewelshy wrote:
Pastichio wrote:Just wondering do you guys change your strings yourself or do you get music shop to do it? I know some shops have special machines that fit them on perfect. I've always changed them myself and have had no trouble, not that I'm aware of anyway lol. This thread has me considering getting a set of expensive strings, I always lean towards the budget end of the market.

Well i always do them myself now, I tend to lean towards budget strings becuase at the moment im not gigging or recording so i cant justify expensive strings when i don't have money to burn. Just my opinion i would gladly put on a set of DR'S if i had the money :p

yea i'm pretty much the same. I'm just considering more expensive strings to see if they make much difference. Has anyone ever tried boiling their strings? I've never tried it myself but I have read that it can restore some tone.
Pastichio
Pastichio
A resident.
A resident.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next